Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Alien Bacteria outside the ISS?

seeder

17 hours ago, Aquila King said:

Am I the only killjoy here who'd be kinda 'meh' about alien microbes? :mellow:

No, but you're the minority. Or at least I hope so. I would definitely lose what little faith I have left in humanity if the majority of the public failed to comprehend the significance, implications and importance of the discovery of alien life.

Edited by Brok
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Brok said:

No, but you're the minority. Or at least I hope so. I would definitely lose what little faith I have left in humanity if the majority of the public failed to comprehend the significance, implications and importance of the discovery of alien life.

Guys, everyone, listen...

Stop taking everything everyone says so damn seriously.

If you quoted my following sentence that you edited out, it should be clear that I'm casually joking around.

Of course I understand the significance of such a discovery. I'm not that dense.

• Like 4

Just seems much more likely it's Earth bacteria, not all of which have been identified, I would guess. After all, it's a long way between worlds and the radiation, cold and dryness is not conducive to living organisms, especially over eons of time required for something to drift from one planet, or even solar system, to another. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, flabbins said:

Just the news that bacteria can live in space whether it be from here or elsewhere? Surely that's big news?

Yeah, something living outside in space is quite big news, it just explode the frontier of life. The level of radiation they endure are probably high and it they live and not survive, it's a big wow !

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 10:26 PM, ChrLzs said:

Seeder, you do understand this was on TASS / Russia Today?

Yes, those tests are most certainly needed........ Indeed, you'd think a good scientist would have done those tests, which are relatively quick and simple, before making ass-umptions....

Thinking about it.  The tests may prove nothing.  Scientists believe bacteria came from space to Earth which started life here.  Unless the strain is drastically different from any Earth "cousins", we still may not know.

On 11/29/2017 at 11:14 PM, Jon the frog said:

Yeah, something living outside in space is quite big news, it just explode the frontier of life. The level of radiation they endure are probably high and it they live and not survive, it's a big wow !

Search 'tardigrade'.  You may not be amazed, but they're pretty impressive and show what's possible, and there are other examples of things that are very difficult to kill....

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Rather than microbes raining down from outer space, its much more plausible that the outside of the space station became contaminated by earthly organisms, many of which can survive in the harsh environment in orbit.

https://wonderopolis.org/wonder/can-germs-live-in-outer-space

• Like 3

A mutant earth bacteria? The old MIR had a devastating mutant fungi infestation. Cosmonauts could smell them as soon they went in the station.

Edited by Mr Supertypo