Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Same sex marriage in Aus. passes senate vote.

Timothy

In NZ, we have Civil Marriage in place for Gay Marriages.. Am glad our Kuzzies across the "Ditch" are allowing love to be Recognised. And big thumbs up to the Determined, Persistent People who made this happen.. XxX..

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kismit said:

I'm a very proud Australian.

Don’t be. Without thr “we want protection when we’re bigotted ****s” amendments It’s going to be shot down in flames in the House of Reps because Toned Abs and his cronies, as well as the extreme right will vote against it in the name of “religious liberties” and shout down anyone who criticises them as “haters”. If the amendments were there, they’d not have the shield of “we’re protecting the religious*” and instead look like the bigots trying to protect other bigots.

*not in my name you ****s. I voted “yes”.

Don't think MrRabbit has enough cronies to impede the House of Representatives in passing the bill.  The maximum he may be able to do is ruin Turnbull's plan to have it legislated by Xmas by requesting further debates on some of the proposed amendments. 

• Like 2

While I understand your concerns, SWoH, I too think it will be passed.  I think even Abbott just might be beginning to realise he is up against a very strong nationwide sentiment - if they try to hold up what the people voted for and the senate has passed, then he and his cronies will be opening up a huge division between them and the rest of the country.

If they do underestimate the inevitable backlash and somehow manage to hold it up, then frankly I think the protests*, both physical and on social media will have them wanting to leave the country.. plus it won't hold it up for long.

Hmm....  Abbott and those of similar leanings, leaving the country? - maybe, now that I consider it, that's not such a bad outcome...

* I've never participated in a protest march in my numerous decades on this planet, nor am I LGBTwhatever, but I'd definitely march for this cause.  I have friends who are seriously affected, and it is just ... the right thing to do, dammit. 

• Like 6

Good for Australia! Everyone deserves to be cursed.. erm, I mean blessed with wedlock if they want to be. I'm sure the wedding industry and divorce lawyers are dancing a happy dance :devil:

• Like 5

On 30/11/2017 at 9:33 AM, Black Red Devil said:

Don't think MrRabbit has enough cronies to impede the House of Representatives in passing the bill.  The maximum he may be able to do is ruin Turnbull's plan to have it legislated by Xmas by requesting further debates on some of the proposed amendments. 

21 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

While I understand your concerns, SWoH, I too think it will be passed.  I think even Abbott just might be beginning to realise he is up against a very strong nationwide sentiment - if they try to hold up what the people voted for and the senate has passed, then he and his cronies will be opening up a huge division between them and the rest of the country.

If they do underestimate the inevitable backlash and somehow manage to hold it up, then frankly I think the protests*, both physical and on social media will have them wanting to leave the country.. plus it won't hold it up for long.

Hmm....  Abbott and those of similar leanings, leaving the country? - maybe, now that I consider it, that's not such a bad outcome...

* I've never participated in a protest march in my numerous decades on this planet, nor am I LGBTwhatever, but I'd definitely march for this cause.  I have friends who are seriously affected, and it is just ... the right thing to do, dammit. 

Good lord I hope so.

• Like 3

I don't understand why Tony Abbott is making such a big deal about this. Isn't his own sister gay ? 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Astra. said:

I don't understand why Tony Abbott is making such a big deal about this. Isn't his own sister gay ? 

She is. One of his own daughters campaigned for “yes”. 

Hes against it because ....well there’s a Ser Bronn quote that sums him up nicely.

Edited by Sir Wearer of Hats
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

She is. One of his own daughters campaigned for “yes”. 

Hes against it because he’s a prick who uses his professed beliefs as an excuse to bully people. 

Yeah, I think he uses his religious beliefs as a crutch to bully as well. Either way, I imagine he wont be getting a Christmas card from his sister this year.  

38 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Good lord I hope so.

The people have spoken Liberal can just hand the keys to Kirabilli House over to Labor now if they don't pass it.

Risk is too high to back down now 

Not sure why we have two threads on the Same topic though.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

The people have spoken Liberal can just hand the keys to Kirabilli House over to Labor now if they don't pass it.

Risk is too high to back down now 

Not sure why we have two threads on the Same topic though.

There’s 45% of the population who either voted “no” or didn’t vote at all, that’d be a solid base to build an election campaign around, the “yes” vote is inherently split between the Greens/Labor(sic)/Indie vote. So of the LibNats can get that 45% onside (and not in camp Bernadi or camp Hansen) they’ll make a good fist of keeping power.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

There’s 45% of the population who either voted “no” or didn’t vote at all, that’d be a solid base to build an election campaign around, the “yes” vote is inherently split between the Greens/Labor(sic)/Indie vote. So of the LibNats can get that 45% onside (and not in camp Bernadi or camp Hansen) they’ll make a good fist of keeping power.

NSW dragged the statistic down though, most of Australia was up near 80% I would postulate that one state is not worth the risk.

By city the no vote was 16-30%, not the majority by any means.

Link

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Astra. said:

So true.  He's the odd one out in that family, in every sense.  How bout the facade he put on with Putin at the APEC?  What a buffoon!

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Black Red Devil said:

So true.  He's the odd one out in that family, in every sense.  How bout the facade he put on with Putin at the APEC?  What a buffoon!

Hilarious video :lol:.... what a try hard. He's a total pathetic embarrassment. 

• Like 3

Well, rainbow  colour me surprised. 

Its passed. Tony tried to stall it. His minions tried to stall it. But it still passed.

hurrah!

• Like 5

So looks like there were only a few who voted sgsinst:Bob Katter, Keith Pitt, David Littleproud and Russell Broadbent..... but it looks like Tony Abbott, Andrew Hastie, Michael Sukkar, Kevin Andrews, Scott Morrison, Alex Hawke and George Christensen abstained.

DESPITE Tony’s electorate voting overwhelming for equality. I hope that is brought up when the election comes around, as it’s CLEAR as day he’s not representing the majority of his electorate.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Peter B said:

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Its passed. Tony tried to stall it. His minions tried to stall it. But it still passed.

hurrah!

Party emoticons

• Like 4

And to all of the ‘no’ voters; society is not now going to collapse in a storm of fire and brimstone, your life will continue seemingly as if nothing has changed at all...

• Like 2

Congratulations to Australia! I am shocked that you guys didn't have it before now, but better late than never! :wub:

On 07/12/2017 at 7:23 PM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

hurrah!

See told ya ;)

It would have been political suicide to ignore the vote.

• Like 1

Australia's first same-sex wedding has taken place following the country's vote to legalise gay marriage.

Welsh-born Lauren Price, 31, and Amy Laker, 29, tied the knot in Sydney where they were pronounced "wife and wife" in front of 65 guests.

https://news.sky.com/story/welsh-born-woman-in-australias-first-same-sex-wedding-11174628

• Like 4