Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New fish lives a record 5 miles underwater

Still Waters

Scientists on Tuesday formally documented the world's newest fish, Pseudoliparis swirei, an odd little snailfish caught at 7,966 meters in the Mariana Trench—nearly twice as far below the sea's surface as Wyoming's Grand Teton towers above it.

This creature of the dark, frigid ocean region known as the hadal zone was first caught in 2014 and again early in 2017 but is only now being described. And this species, the deepest fish ever collected from the sea, is probably not what most people think of when they imagine the creatures far below.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/11/deepest-sea-fish-identified-snailfish-pseudoliparis-swirei-spd/

• Like 9

They sort of look like big Guppies.  I wonder if the breed like them.

Considering the amount of pressure that exists at the bottom of the ocean.....this is truly amazing.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Guyver said:

Considering the amount of pressure that exists at the bottom of the ocean.....this is truly amazing.  

Yeah, I hear you on that. And from the article...

At these depths, the pressure is so extreme that it is like having the equivalent weight of an entire elephant pressing down on every square inch of your entire body.

• Like 1

I used to live on Mt Tapochau on the island of Saipan in the Northern Marianas... the ocean is so crazy deep there that Tapochau  (at only 474m) is the highest mountain in the world when measured from the bottom of the ocean. Wikipedia will tell you it’s Mauna Kea, but that’s only 10,000 some meters... Tapochau is over 11,000 meters (474+10,994).

• Like 3

Tapochau is the tip of an enormous underwater mountain range that dwarfs the Himalayas. Did a lot diving when I lived on Saipan, lots of interesting ocean life around that area.

Water is super clear in places. Dove the Shoun Maru in Rota and visibility was an amazing 300 feet (90m+)... got weird vertigo, diving down into that... felt like I was somehow falling up.

http://www.diverota.com/dives/shoun-01hayashi.htm

The CNMI chain also includes Tinian (of USS Indianapolis fame) ... though that’s the  kind of “interesting“ ocean life I’m not too interested in checking out.

35930499-D78B-4241-94EC-05960C49186F.jpeg

• Like 2

Maybe they feed on the plastic waste no doubt littering the trench.

• Like 1