Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Jesus' secret revelations to his brother'

Still Waters

The first-known original Greek copy of a heretical Christian writing describing Jesus' secret teachings to his brother James has been discovered at Oxford University by biblical scholars at The University of Texas at Austin.

To date, only a small number of texts from the Nag Hammadi library—a collection of 13 Coptic Gnostic books discovered in 1945 in Upper Egypt—have been found in Greek, their original language of composition. But earlier this year, UT Austin religious studies scholars Geoffrey Smith and Brent Landau added to the list with their discovery of several fifth- or sixth-century Greek fragments of the First Apocalypse of James, which was thought to have been preserved only in its Coptic translations until now.

https://phys.org/news/2017-11-professors-jesus-secret-revelations-brother.html?

• Like 2

Disappointing in that we aren't given a clue in the article as to the gist or highlights of what Jesus secretly said to James:angry:

36 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Disappointing in that we aren't given a clue in the article as to the gist or highlights of what Jesus secretly said to James:angry:

It's published in English in a Copy of "The Nag Hammadi Library". I bought mine at Barnes and Noble.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

It's published in English in a Copy of "The Nag Hammadi Library". I bought mine at Barnes and Noble.

Then this isn't really breaking news as a reader of the OP article might assume. The media fools me once again.

5 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Then this isn't really breaking news as a reader of the OP article might assume. The media fools me once again.

It is. The article explains that the Coptic version translated by a Pachomian Monk was the only known copy. They now found a copy in Greek.

• Like 2

It would be interesting to know how far away from Canonical understanding this writing takes us.  I doubt it would be much touted unless it did so.  Even in the immediate period after Jesus crucifixion and resurrection his message was being edited.  I wonder if Dan Brown will write a new bestseller based on this?  When I was a kid, reading the Bible and seeing comments about "all the tribes of the earth" mourning at his second coming, I wondered why they'd have that reaction.  Today, it's much clearer to me.  Sadder, but clearer.  Even in the small way that I mention the gospel message here and point to prophesy regarding His second coming, I have my words twisted and even ignored in lieu of outright fabrications that are attributed to me.  There is a growing hatred against Him and His followers today and it will only grow stronger over time.  It's just one more fulfilled sign of the leadup to His return.  Everyone needs to remember one, salient secular factoid: AC comes BEFORE JC.  Christ doesn't appear back on the planet until He comes to fight against those who desire the complete annihilation of His people, the Jews.  

1 hour ago, and then said:

It would be interesting to know how far away from Canonical understanding this writing takes us.  I doubt it would be much touted unless it did so.  Even in the immediate period after Jesus crucifixion and resurrection his message was being edited.  I wonder if Dan Brown will write a new bestseller based on this?  When I was a kid, reading the Bible and seeing comments about "all the tribes of the earth" mourning at his second coming, I wondered why they'd have that reaction.  Today, it's much clearer to me.  Sadder, but clearer.  Even in the small way that I mention the gospel message here and point to prophesy regarding His second coming, I have my words twisted and even ignored in lieu of outright fabrications that are attributed to me.  There is a growing hatred against Him and His followers today and it will only grow stronger over time.  It's just one more fulfilled sign of the leadup to His return.  Everyone needs to remember one, salient secular factoid: AC comes BEFORE JC.  Christ doesn't appear back on the planet until He comes to fight against those who desire the complete annihilation of His people, the Jews.  

It was Late Period gnostic gibberish, like the Gospel of Mary if I remember right. I haven't read it in 10 years.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Piney said:

It was Late Period gnostic gibberish, like the Gospel of Mary if I remember right. I haven't read it in 10 years.

I'll see if my library has a copy.  

4 minutes ago, and then said:

I looked for it online. I could only find excerpts. I think it can be found in any large library though 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, and then said:

this claims to be the full text.... FREE

https://archive.org/stream/pdfy-VQak8K5FtBf5Aa6X/The Nag Hammadi Library_djvu.txt

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, seeder said:

Thank you, seeder.  I appreciate it.  I think I'll have a read.

• Like 1