Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sharpton, in Atlanta Speech

twpdyp

Sharpton, in Atlanta Speech, Links Bush Win to Gay Marriage

POSTED: 11:19 am EST January 10, 2005

ATLANTA -- President Bush exploited religious feelings against gay marriage in his re-election campaign, former presidential candidate Al Sharpton said.

Speaking on Sunday at Atlanta's Butler Street Christian Methodist Episcopal, Sharpton said Bush used the gay marriage debate to draw attention away from the Iraq war and ignored domestic problems.

"I think George Bush manipulated a lot of religious feelings about marriage when the president has little or nothing to do with marriage," Sharpton said.

The 2004 election was not the place for a moral debate, the New York Democrat said.

"It was the place for a debate on Iraq, he's in charge of the military; health care, he's in charge of that; on Social Security, he's in charge of that," Sharpton said. "But we should not relinquish the morality of the church to the office of president. He has nothing to do with that."

Sharpton lost the Democratic presidential nomination to Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry but said he remains committed to electing Democrats. But Sharpton, who just ended a two-day meeting in Atlanta with black members of the Democratic National Committee, warned that party leaders should not ignore blacks when choosing future leaders.

Sharpton, who spoke to the Southern Black Caucus, said he believes black people may drift further from the Democrats unless leaders reward black party members with key posts.

Are the Democrats embarrassed by this clown? If they aren't they should be.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Homer

• Mekorig

• Wings of Selkhet

• twpdyp

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a big fan of Sharpton but he's right. More people I know voted for Bush because of his stance on gay marriage than his foreign politics. Americans have their priorities backwards.

I'm not a big fan of Sharpton but he's right. More people I know voted for Bush because of his stance on gay marriage than his foreign politics. Americans have their priorities backwards.

445270[/snapback]

Although I'm not questioning what you said your friends told you, that is not why the main stream voted for Bush.

It’s not about misguided priorities. The gay marriage issue is only one of several issues Kerry has flip-flopped on.

As far as the other, more important issues, healthcare is too large and complicated for most Americans to fully comprehend, and nobody thinks either candidate can really fix it. In Iraq, Kerry has flip-flopped on that also, and most Americans understand Kerry can’t unite America with the rest of the world on this issue, and still win the war. Most Americans realize that whether you like Bush or not, there is no question on where he stands on the issues.

Although a very unintelligent man, and an obvious racist, Sharpton did say something intelligent for once. "he believes black people may drift further from the Democrats unless leaders reward black party members with key posts." Whether you feel black people should be 'rewarded' with key posts from democrats or not, it's easy to see how the democrats have taken the black vote for granted. Blacks vote overwhelmingly democrat, and even when democrats win, they forget about the blacks that got them there.