Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What does "Attacking the Free Press" Mean ?

stevemagegod

When the Liberal Media says President Trump is "Attacking the Free Press" what exactly does that mean? 

For Sean Spicer, Trump’s press secretary, to disinvite journalists from the New York Times, CNN, ABC, CBS and NBC News from attending a press conference is a first in our nation. Barring the press from attending and putting questions to the President or his spokesmen only takes place in fascist or communist countries.

Trump’s aim to subvert the press is clear. He calls the “liberal” news media FAKE NEWS. He says the New York Times and the free press are not his enemy. They are “the enemy of the American People!”

Source: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/killing-the-truth-how-trumps-attack-on-the-free-press_us_58ba1469e4b02eac8876cebf

• The Obama administration's Justice Department spied on Fox News reporter James Rosen. The DOJ, led by Eric Holder, somehow labeled Rosen an unindicted co-conspirator in a criminal case, even went so far as to call him a flight risk. He thereby avoided the pesky need to inform him he was under surveillance. Of course, he was guilty of absolutely nothing. Holder would much later acknowledge regret over the Rosen subpoena. Thanks for playing.
  • The same DOJ seized two months of phone records from the Associated Press. Close your eyes for a moment and picture the reaction if Attorney General Jeff Sessions had been found to order the same action against the New York Times. If anything but the apocalypse comes to mind, you're in a small minority.
  • The Obama administration rejected more Freedom of Information Act requests than any administration in history. That was after Obama promised the "most transparent" administration in history.

Source: http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/media/331554-media-bemoans-trump-but-didnt-mind-obamas-years-of-stomping-press

All administrations lie, but what we are seeing in Trump is an extreme attack on credibility itself. Garry Kasparov, the Russian dissident and chess grandmaster, tweeted: “The point of modern propaganda isn’t only to misinform or push an agenda. It is to exhaust your critical thinking, to annihilate truth.”

Funny how the Media ignores Trump Key Text in the Tweet "Not His Enemy". Face it Trump Loves to Troll the Media on Twitter. And they fall for it every time which is hilarious. The most recent example calling Elizabeth Warren on her debunked claims of being Native American. Pocahontas "is now apparently a Racial Slur". Because He is openly calling them out on there openly biased one sided narrow Liberal world view. Thats why they are the enemy of us the people. They dont offer any other Schools of Thought (Religious or Political) in how the world should work. And if any is presented like Fox News they call it a Racist, Bigoted, Anti-Islamic News Organization. 

Its a good thing Trump hasn't Spied on the Free Press. They would be calling for his impeachment. O wait they already are specifically mentioning his attacks on the Free Press lol. 

• Like 7

Attacking the free press means calling any disparaging report "fake news".

Remember, "Enemy of the people"?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Yeah, especially this one.

Donald J. TrumpVerified account @realDonaldTrump

Congratulations to @ABC News for suspending Brian Ross for his horrendously inaccurate and dishonest report on the Russia, Russia, Russia Witch Hunt. More Networks and “papers” should do the same with their Fake News!

• Like 9

President Trump, in an extraordinary rebuke of the nation’s press organizations, wrote on Twitter on Friday that the nation’s news media “is the enemy of the American people.”

Even by the standards of a president who routinely castigates journalists — and who on Thursday devoted much of a 77-minute news conference to criticizing his press coverage — Mr. Trump’s tweet was a striking escalation in his attacks.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/17/business/trump-calls-the-news-media-the-enemy-of-the-people.html

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

The "Free Press" also calls any report removal remotely favorable to the current President*, or critical of his rival in the Presidential election, "Russian Propaganda" put forth by "Putin's Troll Factory", don't forget. There's surely every bit as much censorship from the media itself, or at any rate the anti-Trump media, who've pretty much expressly stated that their aim is to have him ousted from office.

* if you could find any, of course

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, and then said:

The threat isn't that the president calls them out, it's that a huge number of Americans AGREE with him.  During the past year, they have repeatedly proven their bias, even their penchant for total lies that they refuse to retract, even when the proof is offered that contradicts them.  The MSM is DONE... you can stick a fork in them.  

I've been pretty much done with them for years.

• Like 3

The media is usually referred to as the "Fourth Estate"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_Estate

However, I like to refer to the Media as the "Fifth Column".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_column

The media usually, as a unspoken rule, prefer one political party to another but I've not witnessed so much bias in the media as I have in the last two decades.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, and then said:

even their penchant for total lies that they refuse to retract,

Links from recent examples regarding Trump? The media gets it wrong from time to time but they retract the stories and in fact generally punish those who do get it wrong.  

3 hours ago, and then said:

The MSM is DONE... you can stick a fork in them

This is a matter of propaganda combined with wishful thinking sticking in people's heads

Trump catapults cable news outlets to their best ratings year ever in 2016

Fox News falls into 3rd place in primetime ratings for the first time in nearly 17 years

Rachel Maddow Is #1 In The Demo Again As Fox News’ Hannity Gamble Shows Signs Of Slipping

MSNBC's Rachel Maddow is the top-rated show with viewers age 25-54 as the same older viewers who have always watched Hannity are the only thing keeping Fox News afloat.

The free press is entirely too important to be sidelined over political ideology. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, stevemagegod said:

When the Liberal Media says President Trump is "Attacking the Free Press" what exactly does that mean? 

It means a couple of different things. To me it primarily means actively attempting to convince the American populace that those in power are the only ones with the right answers, aka "alternative facts". 

By constantly and offensively insulting and undermining the media they create the environment where their words are holy writ and anyone reporting anything negative are "liberals angry about the election". This tactic has been so effective that despite the well documentation of literally thousands of lies and mistruths coming from Trump in just the year since he took office his followers actually see him as trustworthy and those who report the lies as liars. 

The great concern here is really simple. An unhindered and oppositional media is key to the survival of our version of democracy. The attempts to punish media outlets who report unflattering information, combined with the displayed eagerness to bend the truth and in fact reality when it is politically expedient is a scary first step towards totalitarianism, despotism and tyranny.

Keep in mind that one day Trump will leave office and the precedents he sets and the laws he enacts will be there for the next guy to use as he sees fit. 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, stevemagegod said:

It means being critical of a media (and calling them out for)  that is 100% anti-Trump all the time.

Period. 

Brian Ross, who has been twisting stories for years (he is the fool that tried to tell us that the Aurora Colorado shooter was a Tea Party guy)  finally went too far and issued a story last Friday that was a total fabrication... trying to make people think he had proof of a Trump-Russia collusion on the election.

He was lying and loving it.

So, he gets a month off. Not fired, no, he'll be back in January and louder than ever. Count on it.

Will he ever be criticized for being too Anti-Trump by his peers? As they say; "the issue is in doubt".

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

I also think that the free press is full of fake news. That is why I only listen to the lady on North Korea TV. She get her info directly from the leader so she must be telling the truth. Oh how I wish we all had a news channel like that. Me and Donny. Wait, doesn't Donny have one of those already?

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, odas said:

I also think that the free press is full of fake news. That is why I only listen to the lady on North Korea TV. She get her info directly from the leader so she must be telling the truth.

She's particularly enthusiastic here.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

President Trump, in an extraordinary rebuke of the nation’s press organizations, wrote on Twitter on Friday that the nation’s news media “is the enemy of the American people.”

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

"An unhindered and oppositional media is key to the survival of our version of democracy."

:clap:

• Like 6

The Media isn't free -- it costs a lot of money ^_^ - but the billionaires that own it can afford it and would probably
give the 'services' away for no charge at all if they had to...just to keep control of the narrative and the funneling of cash
in their direction through to their national / global corporate interests -

https://www.forbes.com/sites/katevinton/2016/06/01/these-15-billionaires-own-americas-news-media-companies/#4aa0a91b660a

These 15 Billionaires Own America's News Media Companies

Edited by bee
clarification
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, bee said:

hoorah for the 15 billionaires --- :clap:

:innocent:

What's your solution?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, and then said:

The threat isn't that the president calls them out, it's that a huge number of Americans AGREE with him.  During the past year, they have repeatedly proven their bias, even their penchant for total lies that they refuse to retract, even when the proof is offered that contradicts them.  The MSM is DONE... you can stick a fork in them.  

Based on opposition reaction you would think that you and I only think this way because Trump is telling is to or is leading the way on this issue. I guess we never slammed the dishonest media before Trump came along. The thing that makes Trump saying what we’ve been saying for a long time different is that nobody heard us before. Actually they still don’t. They think Trump is a radical on his own rounding up lemmings. Typical hubris on their part. All he’s done is given us a voice and the elitist media can cram it. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, pallidin said:

What's your solution?

I'm not here to offer a solution which would be a lengthy undertaking -

I am pointing out the problem - 

• Like 1

The mainstream media is a joke and I really don't even know how people watch the propaganda. I don't even bother to turn it on and just do my own research through alternative sources.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, bee said:

I'm not here to offer a solution which would be a lengthy undertaking -

I am pointing out the problem - 

Well, we all know the problem.

I had a mentor once who said complaining without offered solution means nothing other than complaining.

Sort of like a thorn in your foot. You say ouch, but don't take the effort to pull it out and avoid recurrence.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, pallidin said:

Well, we all know the problem.

If you know there's a problem why the enthusiastic  :clap:?

• Like 1

Post #15.

I think Farmer spoke the truth, and I applaud that... Even though he knows I sometimes don't agree with him.

I am not a partisan poster. If I agree or disagree with someone, I say it.

• Like 1