Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Silent animation makes a 'thudding' sound

UM-Bot

I've seen many visual illusions, but never an auditory one. That's really cool.

• Like 1

Its just conditioning from having watched television and movies. You will perceive a sound even if its not there because your mind will fill it in. Watch a similar video with the sound on over and over then turn off the sound.. Your mind should fill in the sound for you.

Its just another mind hack.

• Like 2

Heard a faint sound at the time of some of the illusory impacts, not all. Very faint; not as loud as should be expected from such an event at this apparent range. Turned the sound on my computer completely off, to guard against the possibility that there was low level audio, even though it's claimed that there isn't. Made no difference.   

Nope, cant hear a thing

• Like 3

The whooshing of the swinging wires were louder for me but more than that is the gleeful "yippppeeee" each time the pylon jumps in the air ^_^

• Like 1

Can't hear the pylon landing, but because of the vibration of the video I could feel a vibration in the center of my body. Like it landed far away.

People who are easily immersed in a good book will hear it. I set the stage of every book I read, in my head.

• Like 1

I could not hear anything but I could feel every hit, that should have been a thump, as a vibration through the chair I am sitting in.

Edited by mysticwerewolf
mbad spelling and added words.

11 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

An animated GIF of a jumping pylon seems to create the illusion of sound even when there is none.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/313855/silent-animation-makes-a-thudding-sound

Interesting. Even with the sound switched off,  I could not only "hear" the sound but feel my desk vibrating with each thump, yet as soon as i closed my eyes both sound and motion ceased.  I think it is a form of auditory conditioning and you would get the same effect watching a pile driver.  You know the sound effect so well that your  mind  "fills it in"  even when it's not there.

I can’t hear or feel anything either, even though I tried to summon both!

Edited by Susanc241
  • Like 1

Didn't work for me, even when I tried to "see the sound". Might be because it's really windy today, and the noise of that is overriding the illusion.

15 hours ago, strunk64 said:

Can't hear the pylon landing, but because of the vibration of the video I could feel a vibration in the center of my body. Like it landed far away.

Wut?:huh:

• Like 1

Actually, the only sound I could imagine was that silly "Sproing!" sound in the game "Yoshi's Island".

It is somewhat alarming that our brains are not fine tuned enough to decipher between real physical input and conditioned, imaginary sensations.

I must be a Neanderthal, I heard and felt Nothing, nada...

Edited by UFOwatcher
  • Like 1

The only sound I can hear here is my tinnitus :huh:

• Like 1

Facebook told me that if you don't hear it your a sociopath