Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russia Banned From the Olympics

BrooklynGuy

Russian Olympic ban: How IOC got here, what happens next

The International Olympic Committee's executive board, led by president Thomas Bach, took the unprecedented step Tuesday of suspending the Russian Olympic Committee for "systematic manipulation of the anti-doping rules and system," but will permit individual athletes to compete in the upcoming Pyeongchang Winter Games if they meet standards determined by an IOC-convened panel.

Read more: http://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/21679458/russian-olympic-committee-banned-2018-winter-olympics-happens-now

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, BrooklynGuy said:

Russian Olympic ban: How IOC got here, what happens next

The International Olympic Committee's executive board, led by president Thomas Bach, took the unprecedented step Tuesday of suspending the Russian Olympic Committee for "systematic manipulation of the anti-doping rules and system," but will permit individual athletes to compete in the upcoming Pyeongchang Winter Games if they meet standards determined by an IOC-convened panel.

Read more: http://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/21679458/russian-olympic-committee-banned-2018-winter-olympics-happens-now

I'm against it.

Punishing the innocent athletes who didn't dope isn't right. I do like the individual exception though.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

I'm against it.

Punishing the innocent athletes who didn't dope isn't right. I do like the individual exception though.

The Athletes that pass a dope test can compete according to the article. So they aren't punished.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Piney said:

The Athletes that pass a dope test can compete according to the article. So they aren't punished.

Yeah, I meant representing their country and carrying the flag and uniforms and all.

• Like 4

The Olympics are a joke anyway...

Most of the host cities wind up blowing damn near billions on the sites and most go as unused ghost towns once they are over.

Plus when events like basketball include PRO's like NBA players that kinda butchers the idea...

Hell why can't the pro boxers fight in the Olympics?...

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

The Olympics are a joke anyway...

Most of the host cities wind up blowing damn near billions on the sites and most go as unused ghost towns once they are over.

Plus when events like basketball include PRO's like NBA players that kinda butchers the idea...

Hell why can't the pro boxers fight in the Olympics?...

Good points, but NBA pros are different I guess. :unsure:

I say let the Jamaican bobsled "pros" compete. :lol:

Edited by .ZZ.
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, .ZZ. said:

I'm against it.

But if it's institutional (which is it) then you surely have to address it, no? The Juventus football team's upper echelons were found guilty of match-fixing and the team was put into the lower leagues as part of their punishment. It sucked for the players but you still have to punish the team as a whole. Unfortunately this means that there will be collateral damage. I'm actually not against this because I hate cheating in sports in all its forms.

On a side note, I'm sure most athletes are cheating in some way, especially individuals who don't have team doctors to worry about. Most likely by using products that the authorities aren't quite onto yet, like Maria Sharapova did for a decade or so.

Edited by ExpandMyMind