Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jesus and politics

Kismit

I found this story while scrolling through Facebook.

Church places list of mass shootings next to Nativity scene

My own opinion is that I agree with the Minister of the Church and his decision to make this a discussion about gun violence.

In the story from NBC, the Minister justifies his choice by relating to Jesus as a political character who was at odds with the state.

• Like 3

Can opened...worms everywhere... :whistle: :lol:

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

That's been happening here a lot lately......

Me thinks it time for redneck America to give up their military style cuddle toys. Because that's all they are. A black carbon fiber and parkarized steel teddy bear.......I never had any use for that trash

Edited by Piney
typo
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

Precisely how to open and evaluate discussion. Which is the objective of the Parish. A church wishing to open a discussion on how to end violence and promote peace. It's a small stand.

Christmas is after all, a time to reflect and remember. A time to acknowledge what is truly important. Family, friends, community and life in general.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

That's been happening here a lot lately......

Me thinks it time for redneck America to give up their military style cuddle toys. Because that's all they are. A black carbon fiber and parkarized steel teddy bear.......I never had any use for that trash

My honest opinion is that these type guns weren't heavily coveted during Clintons "assault weapons ban" and i don't get the recent demand for them...

I don't own one myself and as long as they don't try and put extra limits on on pistol magazines,shotguns,or hunting rifles i couldn't care less...meh

These type of rifles if they can be modified should require extra knowledge of the owner and their sensabilities to own one...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Precisely how to open and evaluate discussion. Which is the objective of the Parish. A church wishing to open a discussion on how to end violence and promote peace. It's a small stand.

Christmas is after all, a time to reflect and remember. A time to acknowledge what is truly important. Family, friends, community and life in general.

Yeah i just have an idea how this thread is going to go... :unsure2:

• Like 1

Just now, CrimsonKing said:

My honest opinion is that these type guns weren't heavily coveted during Clintons "assault weapons ban" and i don't get the recent demand for them...

I don't own one myself and as long as they don't try and put extra limits on on pistol magazines,shotguns,or hunting rifles i couldn't care less...meh

These type of rifles if they can be modified should require extra knowledge of the owner and their sensabilities to own one...

I was tribal security. I cowboyed on the Northern Plains. I've been in the woods with some really nasty critters and I visit family in that famed city Camden, New Jersey. Nobody has any real use for that trash other than to help their tiny egos and penis.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

Nobody has any real use for that trash other than to help their tiny egos and penis.

Kinda like those guys who drive around in giant jacked up trucks,but don't have so much as a scratch in the bed or a speck of dirt on the entire vehicle :lol:

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

1) "America has a gun control problem" "Don't they know the rest of the world sees them as savages?"

2) "Australia has the right idea, they haven't had a mass shooting for a long time"

• Like 2

Just now, CrimsonKing said:

Kinda like those guys who drive around in giant jacked up trucks,but don't have so much as a scratch in the bed or a speck of dirt on the entire vehicle :lol:

Don't have one of them either. My Ford has the stock rims and tires.......

• Like 1

Just now, .ZZ. said:

1) "America has a gun control problem" "Don't they know the rest of the world sees them as savages?"

2) "Australia has the right idea, they haven't had a mass shooting for a long time"

no. 2

No, Japan does.....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Piney said:

I was tribal security. I cowboyed on the Northern Plains. I've been in the woods with some really nasty critters and I visit family in that famed city Camden, New Jersey. Nobody has any real use for that trash other than to help their tiny egos and penis.

I own that "trash", so do plenty of good people I know. I don't like being talked about like i am a lunatic or criminal with mental problems and deficiencies.

I like you all too much to respond any further on this subject. Remember you are talking about real people and not caricatures when you hurl these juvenile insults.

Have a nice day.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kismit said:

I think it's a good and thought-provoking idea by the Parish.  I would just hope though that anyone who thinks this is okay doesn't simultaneously and hypocritically have an issue with something as comparatively trivial (from a Christian perspective) as anthem-kneeling football players, who also take small stands to open discussions on how to end violence and promote peace.

• Like 3

Just now, The Russian Hare said:

I own that "trash", so do plenty of good people I know. I don't like being talked about like i am a lunatic or criminal with mental problems and deficiencies.

I like you all too much to respond any further on this subject. Remember you are talking about real people and not caricatures when you hurl these juvenile insults.

Have a nice day.

I know plenty of precision shooters with Bushmasters. But they aren't posing all over facebook with pre-ban clips. Or shooting stuff with tannerite on youtube. 

Every time a read about or hear on the news about a child shot and killed. I cry. I think of how the rules are with precision shooters in Japan. Nobody should have to bury their child.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

I'm hoping that the discussion involves the use of Jesus as a political character. Wether or not people believe that is appropriate? 

Wether people feel that now is a good time for discussion?

Wether people believe a church should make a political statement?

It is a can of worms, with passionate intelligent people involved in it. Disagreement happens in life, but so does resolutionot.  Can't we at least acknowledge that there is a problem, and then discuss solutions, because it currently is not fixed.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Russian Hare said:

Have a nice day.

I don't have a problem with people who have them,hell i know quite a few people who own them...

I just don't understand the massive buy rate of these in recent years as compared to under Clintons ban none seemed to really care if they had them or not...

I'm very pro 2nd mind you...

Just now, Kismit said:

I'm hoping that the discussion involves the use of Jesus as a political character. Wether or not people believe that is appropriate? 

It is a can of worms, with passionate intelligent people involved in it. Disagreement happens in life, but so does resolutionot.  Can't we at least acknowledge that there is a problem, and then discuss solutions, because it currently is not fixed.

That's what he was historically. A radical. I think it's appropriate.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Kismit said:

I don't have the power to shut this thread down,i was just giving a prewarning before the pinching and eye poking began :lol:

• Like 2

10bk91.jpg

Politics + Religion = A lot of hurt feelings and bruised egos. I'm just gonna stand back here and wait till it all goes south. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

10bk91.jpg

Politics + Religion = A lot of hurt feelings and bruised egos. I'm just gonna stand back here and wait till it all goes south. 

You made my point better than i tried to ;) :lol:

Politics+Religion+Guns=UM MANIA!!! 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Kismit said:

I can definitely see where Xeno is coming from as far as the opportunity for this to head south quickly, but thinking about it I'm not sure if that need be the case.  Although there is an undercurrent of the dreaded gun control in this Parish's display, I don't think there is any getting around the logic that Jesus, no matter what one thinks about what should be done if anything about gun violence, is/would be saddened by its extent in our society.

35 minutes ago, Kismit said:

I think almost anytime is a good time for that.  I'll admit looking at the picture in the article that it does look odd to have those signs above a nativity scene just because they look incongruous, looking at it I don't get the immediate connection between the two and what baby Jesus has to do with gun violence except in a very general 'who was Jesus' way.  On the other hand though even if there are better Jesus stories to link this statement to there probably aren't any that are going to get as much visibility from the general public.

42 minutes ago, Kismit said:

That ship has long sailed, this is nothing compared to their political statements about abortion.

• Like 5

They go together like wine and poop. My guess is that Jesus isn't a big fan of either main political party, which often seems like two sides of the same coin that could be found in the Temple when Jesus wrecked the money-changers. The church has First Amendment rights, so whatever. I'm not outraged, and I wouldn't get upset if they gave AR-15s to the shepherds tending their flocks at night.

I think a important message of Jesus now is to turn over the tables of the moneylenders. They are part of the problem. Not the solution...

• Like 2

It may come as a surprise to many, but Jesus Christ did not involve Himself with the politics of His day. Even though He had a strong interest in government, He chose not to become involved in any of the political factions of the day, either in the Jewish government or in its overseer, the government of Rome.

Source

• Like 3