Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Australia foreign influence laws anger China

The Caspian Hare

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/china-accuses-australia-of-paranoia-over-foreign-influence-laws-9473670

MELBOURNE: China accused Australia of hysteria and paranoia on Wednesday after Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull vowed to ban foreign political donations in a move to curb external influence on its domestic politics.

Foreign powers were making "unprecedented and increasingly sophisticated attempts to influence the political process" in Australia and the world, Turnbull told reporters in Canberra on Tuesday. He had cited "disturbing reports about Chinese influence".

The announcement came as concern grows that Beijing may be extending its soft power efforts in the country and as relationships between Australian politicians and Chinese government interests become increasingly contentious.

"Some Australian media have repeatedly fabricated news stories about the so-called Chinese influence and infiltration in Australia," the Chinese Embassy in Australia said in an English-language statement on its website.

• Like 3

The Chinese invited all well known Indian chiefs, including my father for a conference. It turned out they were trying to claim we are Han as a claim to U.S. soil. Just like that stupid fake map of North America made by that fictional visitor to the West Coast.  They are using economics and revisionist history to gain control of other countries. It's warfare. Just subtle.  

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Piney said:

The Chinese invited all well known Indian chiefs, including my father for a conference. It turned out they were trying to claim we are Han as a claim to U.S. soil. Just like that stupid fake map of North America made by that fictional visitor to the West Coast.  They are using economics and revisionist history to gain control of other countries. It's warfare. Just subtle.  

Christ Piney, when was this?

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Christ Piney, when was this?

Before I went to prison so it was over 6 years ago.  I remember the big hoo haw about the map over in the alternate history section here but I don't remember who tore into it. Either Harte or Swede. That was many years ago too. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wonder how much China has invested in influencing Australia’s political course?

5 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Wonder how much China has invested in influencing Australia’s political course?

i wonder how much the USA/France/GB etc etc has invested in Australian political parties. its the way of the world. I know. the gears of power need to be greased otherwise our "poor" politicians won't be able to make a living after politics. Here's a novel idea, ban all political donations from lobbyist's and companies. problem solved.