Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trump wants to make Tip-Pooling legal again.

Odin11

The proposed changes, first announced in July, roll back the Obama administration’s 2011 regulations that expressly prohibited the distribution of tips to anyone other than the front-of-house staff who earned them. Backers argue it’s a regulation that could go a long way towards erasing income inequality between back and front of the house. Others say it’s a recipe for a host of evils, ranging from tip-pocketing by management to unsustainably high labor costs. All optimists and skeptics can seem to agree on is this: It’s complicated.

https://www.eater.com/2017/12/5/16708374/tipping-laws-trump-department-of-labor-changes

This will do nothing more then legalize wage theft (which already amounts to $15 billion a year). I'm a chef and I know the people in the back of the house won't see a dime of the pooled tips if it was left up to the restaurant owners' discretion. It's already becoming harder and harder to find good help in the restaurant industry and I can already tell what will happen when they roll this back. The pooled tips will all end up in the owner's and maybe the front of the house managers' pockets, and restaurants will lose their best servers.  

• Like 3

From what I saw, it's only when the employee makes at least minimum wage.  Now, I'm not sure, but does that apply to most restaurants?

11 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

From what I saw, it's only when the employee makes at least minimum wage.  Now, I'm not sure, but does that apply to most restaurants?

Most restaurants take a tip credit and pay servers less than the minimum wage as long as the tips will bring the wage up to minimum. But with the new law, restaurants could not take the tip credit and instead pay their servers minimum wage and take all of their tips and pocket them.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Odin11 said:

https://www.eater.com/2017/12/5/16708374/tipping-laws-trump-department-of-labor-changes

This will do nothing more then legalize wage theft (which already amounts to $15 billion a year). I'm a chef and I know the people in the back of the house won't see a dime of the pooled tips if it was left up to the restaurant owners' discretion. It's already becoming harder and harder to find good help in the restaurant industry and I can already tell what will happen when they roll this back. The pooled tips will all end up in the owner's and maybe the front of the house managers' pockets, and restaurants will lose their best servers.  

I quit waiting tables when they started making us share them with the chefs, dishwashers, table bussers, the hosts and hostesses. Chefs make a lot more money than wait staff. Most of the time wait staff don't even make minimum wage. Dishwashers and bussers do.

Wait staff kiss butt, cater to every whim and put on the charm for their entire shift. Not to mention the other menial labor they do. I made fantastic tips. I loved it! Pooling the tips hurt the service industry big time. It did not end up in management's pockets...ever. That money never left our pocket. Tell me I have to share it with someone who grudgingly came and cleared the dishes for about a minute and a half so you could seat more people. You'll get a disgruntled wait staff real fast.

No customers out front...no need for support staff plain and simple. I was raised in a restaurant and waited tables from the time I was eleven years old. I know exactly what happened to the poor service we get today.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Odin11 said:

Most restaurants take a tip credit and pay servers less than the minimum wage as long as the tips will bring the wage up to minimum. But with the new law, restaurants could not take the tip credit and instead pay their servers minimum wage and take all of their tips and pocket them.  

Not around here.  You should move, our politics seem more your style.  Fricking min. wage is $15.00 and we pay for it in the price of our meal so the tips are smaller and smaller anyway.

edit: Isn't this a state by state thing anyway?  Where does the president even get a say so.  Just more hysteria I think.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2

Waitstaff shouldn't have to share their tips, period.  I rarely add a tip to my credit card.  I leave cash so they can actually get the tip.  The bussers and kitchen staff don't have to deal with the customer's uh... eccentricities... like the waitstaff do.  If the waiters want to share a few bucks with the bussers then that should be THEIR choice.  This is just another attempt (if the story is accurate) to make things "fair" for everyone while destroying the incentive to excel.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, and then said:

Waitstaff shouldn't have to share their tips, period.  I rarely add a tip to my credit card.  I leave cash so they can actually get the tip.  The bussers and kitchen staff don't have to deal with the customer's uh... eccentricities... like the waitstaff do.  If the waiters want to share a few bucks with the bussers then that should be THEIR choice.  This is just another attempt (if the story is accurate) to make things "fair" for everyone while destroying the incentive to excel.  

This isn’t even to make things “fair”, it’s an excuse for more hands in the till.

• Like 3

Is this actually the Tyrant's very own personal idea? Is he solely responsible for every idea that comes out of any department of the U.S. Govt? 

Edited by Manfred von Dreidecker
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Is this actually the Tyrant's very own personal idea? Is he solely responsible for every idea that comes out of any department of the U.S. Govt? 

Maybe we should be asking if he ever actually has any ideas. 

It seems like he puts everyone else in charge of actually developing plans for stuff after he says lots of words like fantastic, greatest, best ever, it'll be so easy, everyone agrees, believe me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OverSword said:

edit: Isn't this a state by state thing anyway?  Where does the president even get a say so.  Just more hysteria I think.

No its not unfortunately, from the WH approved media (foxnews):

Trump's Labor Department aims to make tip-pooling legal again

The Trump administration is planning to revoke a rule that banned tip-pooling for restaurants.

The Obama-era rule prohibited restaurants from taking servers’ tips, combining them and then redistributing them as the owner or manager sees fit.

To me this sums up the administration's financial policies perfectly: Screw the little guy. 

• Like 1

Well no one in the restaurant will be paying any federal taxes anymore aside from maybe managers, so it will work out pretty good for everyone.

Edited by preacherman76

11 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Well no one in the restaurant will be paying any federal taxes anymore aside from maybe managers, so it will work out pretty good for everyone.

Noone in the restaurant made enough to have to pay federal taxes before this anyways so no its still a potential net loss for the workers. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

No its not unfortunately, from the WH approved media (foxnews):

Trump's Labor Department aims to make tip-pooling legal again

To me this sums up the administration's financial policies perfectly: Screw the little guy. 

If I'm not mistaken, Jimmy Carter started the "sharing of the wealth". Like I said, that is about the time I stopped waiting tables.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

Noone in the restaurant made enough to have to pay federal taxes before this anyways so no its still a potential net loss for the workers. 

Full timers do. Anything over 6 grand was taxable before this plan. 

2 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Full timers do. Anything over 6 grand was taxable before this plan. 

I meant in the end. Sure they pay it but they'll get it back at the end of the year......wait wait wait my bad ive been married too long and am looking at it from a head of household standpoint. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Where did you find the info that no one in the restaurants will be paying any federal taxes? The only things that I have found says that people in that wage range will save about $300 in federal taxes, which is less than 2 days worth of tips.

If I tip someone, that's between me and that person. No employer should be able touch it.

• Like 3