Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Big 16th-century map assembled for first time

Still Waters

55 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

This colorful and intricately detailed map from 1587 is more than nine feet by nine feet when fully assembled. For the last 430 years, its 60 individual sheets were bound together as an atlas, but now they have finally been put together—digitally—to reveal a complete picture of the world as it was understood at the time.

And what a world it was. The map is packed with fantastical creatures, from unicorns in Siberia to mermen frollicking in the Southern Ocean and a terrifying bird flying off with an elephant in its talons. The map reflects the geographical knowledge (and misconceptions) of its time, but in some ways it’s surprisingly advanced. It portrays the Earth as it would be seen looking directly down on the North Pole from space, a perspective not commonly used by mapmakers until the 20th century.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/12/cartography-gigantic-ancient-map-urbano-monte/

its ok but I can't see my boat on it

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, spud the mackem said:

its ok but I can't see my boat on it

Tilt the map 18o North North East

~

• Like 5

On ‎07‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:31 PM, third_eye said:

Tilt the map 18o North North East

~

Hi In order to help you to see it the Latitude is 51.21'.15" North.....2.3'.15" West ...cheers S.T.M.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, spud the mackem said:

Hi In order to help you to see it the Latitude is 51.21'.15" North.....2.3'.15" West ...cheers S.T.M.

Well ... just take a few steps to the right then ...

:D

~

• Like 1

How much for a full size reproduction on canvas? It would look great hanging on the wall in my woodshop.