Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Boeing: We'll beat SpaceX to Mars

Waspie_Dwarf

Boeing’s Dennis Muilenburg says he’ll beat SpaceX to Mars; Elon Musk says ‘Do it’

So what does SpaceX CEO Elon Musk think of Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg’s claim that the first people to set foot on Mars will arrive on a Boeing rocket? “Do it,” Musk tweeted, in one of many two-word comebacks that might have come to mind.

The latest round of media jousting started when CNBC’s Jim Cramer brought up Mars during an interview with Muilenburg. “Who’s going to get a man on Mars first, you or Elon Musk?” Cramer asked.

In response, Muilenburg touted the Space Launch System, the heavy-lift rocket that Boeing is helping NASA build for deep-space missions.

arrow3.gif  Read More: Geek Wire

• Like 4

I love this guys attitude...

Capture.JPG

• Like 2

Too late. Boeing has lost the race to space conquest like kodak the photography.

3 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

Too late. Boeing has lost the race to space conquest like kodak the photography.

Space con quest? That publicity vulture Musk will lead humanity to the stars?

1 hour ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Space con quest? That publicity vulture Musk will lead humanity to the stars?

I've heard that about reusable stages back few years ago. Especially from Russians, they were laughing their guts out... Well, they aren't laughing now, especially when their commercial space launch market share dropped from ~50% in 2013 to ~20% in 2016...

Russians as far I know are using modernized old soviet technology.fun fact, its also the most reliable launch technology in the world. Gotta love the soviets....

9 hours ago, Mr Supertypo said:

Russians as far I know are using modernized old soviet technology.fun fact, its also the most reliable launch technology in the world. Gotta love the soviets....

I agree. 

I filled my house with furniture and things from 1970's from door knobs to windows , furniture and electronics. They never fail . It is true ! 

Edited by qxcontinuum

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:13 AM, Mr Supertypo said:

Nothing personal, but isn't that an oxymoron?  Anything modernized is new technology.  It may serve the same function but doesn't use the same manufactured parts.  Did Ford used modernized old Edsel technology to make the Tauris?  Ehh....maybe they did! :whistle:

34 minutes ago, paperdyer said:

Nothing personal, but isn't that an oxymoron? 

Not at all. The Soyuz spacecraft and launch vehicle are basically the same design as first entered service in 1967, however they have been upgraded several times with more modern electronics and computers. 

On 12/10/2017 at 5:13 PM, Mr Supertypo said:

Yeah, but recent launch of 19 mini submarines into Atlantic ocean tells about systemic problems in Russian space program.

BTW, few days ago Russian officials mocked US over "return to the Moon". I have sneaking suspicion, that laugh won't last long.

On 12/11/2017 at 6:37 PM, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Not at all. The Soyuz spacecraft and launch vehicle are basically the same design as first entered service in 1967, however they have been upgraded several times with more modern electronics and computers. 

I once read a reference to the Orion capsule as being an "updated version" of the Apollo capsule. This was in an article that described NASA as "going backwards" from the Space Shuttle. In principle Orion is similar to Apollo in that it is a conical capsule which will parachute back to Earth rather than glide like the Shuttle. However, the Apollo capsule was remarkably successful, as has been the Soyuz spacecraft. A larger and reusable version of Apollo seems a good idea to me.