Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Haunted Woods ?

Don Frye

Hello to all from Iowa ! I'll get right to my question then wait for a reply.

Is it possible for a open land area such as timber, forrest ect to be haunted or occupied by spirit's or ghosts?

Thanks.

Edited by Don Frye
spelling

2 hours ago, Don Frye said:

Is it possible for a open land area such as timber, forrest ect to be haunted or occupied by spirit's or ghosts?

The answer depends on who you ask of course. My answer is 'Yes'. There are energy locations that are prime real estate for the paranormal. And also places of great past emotional trauma are also more frequented by activity.

The best example of a  haunted forest is Hoia Forest in Romania. I watched an American investigation team go there and a guy was thrown about 20 feet from where he was sitting. And that is just one event I saw.

Edited by papageorge1

papageorge1, thanks for responding so quickly. That experience in Romania is crazy spooky !...My wife and I love primitive camping and we recently started camping in a very remote location next to a river.

The first couple times we camped there we had a few "odd" events happen and more or less passed them off as us being paranoid scaredy cats Lol, but the last 2 times whatever is out there wanted us to know it was there...I think?:wacko:

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

The best example of a  haunted forest is Hoia Forest in Romania. I watched an American investigation team go there and a guy was thrown about 20 feet from where he was sitting.

Half-way through his fourth helping of baked beans no doubt.

• Like 3

Inn Spectre..OMG SOOOOO funny !:lol:

If you believe in ghosts and that they haunt particular places, then of course that is a possibility to you. 

So just believing a place is haunted can summons spirit's or are you saying it our mind playing tricks on us ?

4 minutes ago, Don Frye said:

So just believing a place is haunted can summons spirit's or are you saying it our mind playing tricks on us ?

Not really.

I'm saying that for people who don't believe in ghosts, of course it's not a possibility.

If you do believe in ghosts, for you, it is a possibility. There's no paradigm of belief in ghosts where they are never found in the woods. 

• Like 1

I understand.... I believe being out in the woods at night is always kinda creepy and your mind can run wild with theories, that's actually part of the thrill of camping like we do. It seemed like whatever is out there was taking its time with us, testing the waters so to speak.

Each time it became more noticeable, like we could actually feel the presence of something around us almost like a change in the weather. The air felt heavy, dence if that makes sense. The silence was almost painful, pressure became almost ear popping.

Even the smells became strong like freshly plowed dirt. 

Just now, Don Frye said:

Each time it became more noticeable, like we could actually feel the presence of something around us almost like a change in the weather. The air felt heavy, dence if that makes sense. The silence was almost painful, pressure became almost ear popping.

Even the smells became strong like freshly plowed dirt. 

The sensations you're describing here are also described in most dogman sightings, almost universally. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Inn Spectre said:

Half-way through his fourth helping of baked beans no doubt.

Who, the Romanian or Parageorge?

• Like 2

Ok, let's back up...dogman? Is this a newbie hazing Lol ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Don Frye said:

Lol...you might think that, but no.

It's a reported cryptid.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=14&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjw9Pywxv3XAhWHQyYKHYxWCQYQFgigATAN&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FMichigan_Dogman&usg=AOvVaw1So4yT5F9LMGJ-TCq-Ox4u

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Don Frye said:

In a forest you can hear all sort of strange noices. If you believe the place is haunted, then you allow your mind to play tricks on you.

I used to love camping, we used to tell and listen about the ghost stories and urban legends....creepy? Heck yeah, but it was great fun. But as i grew up and started looking more into the ghost and urban legends, but they  were just stories. But we had some great times freaking ourselves out.

My grandmother lived in the woods, literally. She could tell a good story, but always reminded us the  thing to fear most is what is really out there....animals, poisonous mushrooms and our own imagination if we did not recognise the sounds of nature.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Don Frye said:

To follow up on what ChaosRose posted it's often referred to as the Michigan Dogman but there are sightings all over the US, from what ive seen primarily in the east with the southeast being a hotbed. 

My logical brain says it has to be bunk but I have listened to many reported encounters and there's just something convincing and consistent in many of them 

• Like 1

Wow, that is totally mind blowing ! I honestly never heard of such a creature. I have heard of Big Foot, Sasquatch ect, but never a dog human.

Is there anything in particular we should be looking for ? There are these cool rock formations that are clearly built by "human hands"?. They are about 3ft tall and about the same in diameter at the base, kinda like one of thoes orange highway cones only x10 in size.

The rock isn't from anywhere close by because the rocks found in and the river are very small, mostly sand. I guess we have seen probably 8 of these rock piles throughout the woods.

2 hours ago, Don Frye said:

Is there anything in particular we should be looking for ? There are these cool rock formations that are clearly built by "human hands"?. They are about 3ft tall and about the same in diameter at the base, kinda like one of thoes orange highway cones only x10 in size.

The rock isn't from anywhere close by because the rocks found in and the river are very small, mostly sand. I guess we have seen probably 8 of these rock piles throughout the woods.

I don't know where your at but they sound like "deer redirects" which are used to force running deer to go into a certain direction and to cut sideways so you get a clean shot during a drive 

• Like 1

Piney, that very well could be it. We live in Southeast Iowa and they do hunt alot of deer. We have never seen hunters in this area, but that doesn't mean they don't. With that being said, that's a hell of alot of work to bring all thoes stones deep into woods and make these pillar things. I'm guessing there is 200lbs of stone in each of these things.

3 hours ago, Don Frye said:

A newbie hazing would also include: Set up recording equipment, that will make your ghosts/spirits disappear. 

As for the rock formations, they are probably Cairns: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairn

737E04FB-17E1-4984-812A-15067E68ADEA.jpeg.ff5213b3eac550c3fc529d72c6601250.jpeg

Edit: Are you sure the stones weren’t in the woods already?

Edited by Timonthy
Edit.

25 minutes ago, Don Frye said:

Piney, that very well could be it. We live in Southeast Iowa and they do hunt alot of deer. We have never seen hunters in this area, but that doesn't mean they don't. With that being said, that's a hell of alot of work to bring all thoes stones deep into woods and make these pillar things. I'm guessing there is 200lbs of stone in each of these things.

I'm talking about Pre-Columbian hunters. The Blackfoot, Cheyenne and Athapaskans all built them.

Holy smokes that's it!, but the stones are more round and not so Coke bottle shaped. These are close to being perfectly cone shaped. I really couldn't tell you if all of these things have been there, we have only been going there for 2.5-3yrs. 

It could be the "Mind playing tricks" thing again because one time we will hike through an area and see nothing, then a 2 weeks later walk the same route and BAM !, it's there. I'm not saying we couldn't be off route by 50ft or so, but not likely. 

The one's closer to the river look more sun bleached and the other's deeper in the timber are more glossy. Could be the sun doesn't get to these as much?

Has anyone here actually seen a dogman person ? I done alittle searching about these things and like Bigfoot, nobody has shot or trapped one (not saying they should) or even gotten any real watchable footage, rather odd.