Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman has eclipse burned on to her retinas

UM-Bot

I bet i know what she said just before the eclipse "who needs protective gear i'll just stare at it without blinking or averting my eyes when it starts to hurt"

• Like 1

Exact shape of the sun? Well the pupils are round so part of it is now damaged...big deal. The odd thing about this story is how oddly stupid sone people are.
Years are warnings and some people are still not careful.

• Like 4

What an idiot.

Like so many others, 26-year-old Nia Payne wanted to view August’s historic solar eclipse but didn’t have a pair of protective glasses. She walked outside on Staten Island and glanced at the sun —  70 percent was covered — for about six seconds before deciding she needed eye protection.

She borrowed a pair of what looked like eclipse glasses from someone nearby, then looked directly at the sun for 15 to 20 seconds.

They weren’t the right glasses.

So she looked directly at it first for six seconds. Smart person. I wonder if the ones she borrowed were the the Gucci edition?

“So far, it’s a nightmare, and sometimes it makes me very sad when I close my eyes and see it,” Payne told CNN. “It’s embarrassing. People will assume I was just one of those people who stared blankly at the sun or didn’t check the person with the glasses.

Well that’s pretty safe to assume as it’s exactly what she did, borrow the glasses without checking. I hope the embarrassment and sadness will cause her to stop and think first at critical times throughout her life.

• Like 2

My friend has a telescope and we used filters and her I phone.  No problems and she got some great pictures. We had a line of people looking with her set up. It wasn't like everyone in the country wasn't warned not to look at the sun and use the right filters. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Exact shape of the sun? Well the pupils are round so part of it is now damaged...big deal. The odd thing about this story is how oddly stupid sone people are.
Years are warnings and some people are still not careful.

See the source image

.....has access to nuclear launch codes.........

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

See the source image

.....has access to nuclear launch codes.........

Lol...so did Bush. 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Piney said:

Dummy....

.I was wearing my welding goggles.

Done that with my kids, lol, was kind of boring for them after a while, they lost the curiosity of looking at it and learn how to look at it.

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 1

Just now, Jon the frog said:

Done that with my kids, lol, was kind of boring for them after a while, they lost the curiosity of looking at it and learn how do look at it.

I work outside and always have to wear safety glasses. I knew I would keep looking at it over the course of the afternoon so I used my cutting torch/welding goggles instead of my glasses.

• Like 1

Well I pity the girl a bit.  Yes what she did was ill-advised even with the "proper" eye wear.  I've almost gone blind twice, for 2 different reasons. It's no fun.  Lucky I can see without the black dead spots.  Something this girl will never be able to do.

Bummer for her. The good news is the brain has a marvelous way of adjusting to persistent visual anomalies. In time her brain will "forget" the pattern is there and she'll only see it if she focuses on it. Her dreams of becoming a fighter pilot are finished though.

• Like 2

I can't look at the sun for any more than like two seconds, and then the areas around my eyes start hurting ridiculously. I wonder why it didn't occur to her to look away after like the first two seconds?

3cd8a33a.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

I can't look at the sun for any more than like two seconds, and then the areas around my eyes start hurting ridiculously. I wonder why it didn't occur to her to look away after like the first two seconds?

Maybe she was thinking of the pain box in Dune and feeling she was a true human continuing to look at the sun and controlling her pain !

• Like 1