Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Black Monk

Pendant find rewrites Anglo-Saxon history

11 posts in this topic

Black Monk

The chance discovery of a mysterious wealthy lady in poor farmland soil is about to rewrite the history of Anglo-Saxon England.

The find by Tom Lucking, a student, of the remains bedecked with an exquisite gold pendant and diplomatic coins has led to a reassessment of the powerbases of the Anglo-Saxon elite in the 7th century.

The “Winfarthing Woman”, named after the village in Norfolk where she was found, was described yesterday as a high-status individual who might have even been royal. 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/discovery-of-winfarthing-woman-redraws-map-of-medieval-power-3s3bs7ljc

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 4

rashore

Lol, must be a slow news day at the times... this topic came up a year ago here on UM :)

• Like 4

Black Monk
7 minutes ago, rashore said:

Lol, must be a slow news day at the times... this topic came up a year ago here on UM :)

It's been reported in several papers, as it is just one of 1,120 treasure finds made by the public in 2016 - the highest figure for 20 years.    

Treasures announced on Monday also include a Roman coin hoard found in 2016 in Piddletrenthide, Dorset, by another metal detectorist, Brian Read.

The coins - more than 2,000 were found in a pottery vessel - include the earliest products of the newly established Roman mint of London.

Another man, Dave Haldenby, discovered two late Bronze Age hoards, which experts believe may have been buried for ritual purposes, near to one another in Driffield, East Yorkshire, dating to around 950-850 BC. 

One hoard contained 158 axes and ingots and is the largest of its kind discovered in Yorkshire, while the other consisted of 27 axes and ingots.

The finds were announced at the launch of the Portable Antiquities Scheme and Treasure annual reports at the British Museum.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5144445/Anglo-Saxon-treasure-Norfolk-valued-145-000.html#ixzz50rmvfWiA 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 3

Piney

Raewald's territory. They were straight up Angles there.

Black Monk
2 hours ago, Piney said:

Raewald's territory. They were straight up Angles there.

Image result for raedwald

• Like 3

Piney

The reconstructions of the Sutton Hoo clothing never seem right to me. I always thought his cloak and clothing should be way more ornate .As with his shield. The leather would have been heavily embossed.

• Like 1

Piney

Ah. The wolf by his side. Symbolizing the Wulfing Dynasty.

Edited by Piney
typo
  • Like 2

Black Monk
10 minutes ago, Piney said:

The reconstructions of the Sutton Hoo clothing never seem right to me. I always thought his cloak and clothing should be way more ornate .As with his shield. The leather would have been heavily embossed.

There's a guy at the museum in Sutton Hoo who dresses up as King Rædwald. This is how he looks:

king-raedwald-1.jpg

• Like 4

Piney

A coyote pelt as a substitute for a wolf pelt  is pretty funny but I imagine Raewald would wear one all the time because it was the family totem.

Edited by Piney
typo

oldrover

I read this as 'pedant' rewrites Amglo Saxon history. I prefer that image of an enraged pedant.