Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do some people survive bad accidents when

Kmo86

I’m interested in meaning and purpose of life. Wonder if there is more to life than what we are aware of. Are things in our future pre determined? In 2012 I was in a serious car accident. Everyone police, doctors and family all said I was very lucky to survive. I was driving on motorway and my car lost control flipped on its roof and another car hit me at 75mph. I’ve read cars flipping over alone are amongst highest fatality car accident never mind also being hit by another car. That was first lucky thing to even survive that. Second was the fast recovery I made. Didn’t seem fast at time was in coma a week then had to have a month physio to walk again. I had a serious brain injury which if you look at the recovery length it’s 2 to 3 years quite often. In a month and half I was back home and getting back used to normal life. I had an appointment to see a doctor who had looked after me when I was in coma. He had told my mum I would be able to walk into the appointment. Considering doctors normally give worst case scenario I was surprised to see him surprised at me walking in. He said if I had to be pushed in wheelchair and unable to talk he would have been telling me it was completely normal after what I’d been through. I now attend a brain injury support group and have realised just about everyone has been through longer recovery than me.

another time I could have come off worse than I did was about 20 month after the bad accident. Had only been back driving about 2 month and skidded on something sending me over other side of road hitting another car head on. Luckily was low speed so not injured. This didn’t seem so bad apart from obvious shock of it happening. The police who attended said if the crash had happened just slightly before or after the place it happened it would have been fatal. I assume they meant because the road was bendy and a 60mph road so if it had happened on a bend there wouldn’t have been time for either car to slow down which obviously was what made the crash minor.

Something like this happened to me once. The whole front of my car was shaved off at an angle, and yet the cab remained completely untouched. There was not a scratch on me. 

What's also interesting is that an employee of my Dad passed by the accident like...seconds...after it happened and paged my Dad. He knew about it right away. It's almost like the universe lined up so that he could know about it. 

Lots of odd coincidences. 

My Dad had a way of somehow instinctively knowing when something was wrong. He saved me once from a "birthday party" that turned out not to be. It was at a lake camping resort and he didn't even know which place it was at.

I was trying to get away, and the place was completely dark. My Dad somehow just pulls up and I go running out to him, giving him a big hug. He never knew that he probably saved me from being raped that night. 

• Like 2

I had my skull crushed by a concrete slab as a baby....docs said IF I recover, I may lose sight in one eye and have brain damage....My skull was fractured and I still have the 56 stitch scar running down my scalp/forhead and almost to my eye....I turned out just fine

I walked over railway tracks in my 20's....stood on the electric one....huge flash and I was thrown about 6 feet in the air...Id had a massive electric shock...after about ten mins... I got up and walked home...only damage was a few abrasions from falling on the stones by the track...I dont remember the voltage but Ive read it usually kills people

Im my 30's....I was on the motorway in bad weather/heavy rain.., in the fast lane doing about 85mph....Id just overtaken two HUGE lorries when...BANG.....a tire blew out....my car hit the central divider...spun round..... CROSSING 3 lanes of busy motorway....hit the hard shoulder barriers, and car scraped along them about 100 ft before stopping...pointing the wrong way down the road....  cops were amazed that I wasnt hurt...so was I to be honest

Got stabbed 3 times, in a streetfight...one in the back, one in the neck and a slash across my arm....nurses who stitched me up said if that knife to my neck had been HALF a millimetre closer to my jugular...Id have been dead...

well I just put that all down to luck... and the fact that we are hardier creatures than most believe

• Like 2

Sometimes it is luck, sometimes it’s supernatural  intervention is my belief. I have heard cases where people actually were aware of the supernatural entity.

I was a passenger in a car when we were hit by a lorry jumping a red light bot my mate both went through the wind screen which came out whole and we didn't even get a scratch we hit the deck got straight up and walked 

• Like 1

And for some people the luck doesnt reach all the way..
My grandpa and his brother, my fathers uncle worked on cargoships during WWII, their ship got torpedoed by the germans even though they carried swedish flag.
Both of them survived and were rescued by a english fishing boat.
Back In England that experienced was enough for my grandpa and he decided to go home to sweden and work with something else.

But his brother signed on on another cargo vessel which got torpedoed too even though it had swedish flag.
This time he and some other crewmen got rescued by a little swedish fishingboat.
The small fishing vessel only had a little cabin for the captain and his companion the rescued sailors were on the deck.
When they were nearing Gothenburg (göteborg) harbor a terrible storm came down upon them.
The fishingboat capsized 3 times and rolled over. each time some sailors fell over.. after the third time only my dads uncle was left on the deck.
When they were finally in port he too died by hypothermia while wating for help... This was in februari..
That sucks... 

• Like 2

Another strange coincidence about when I had my bad car accident. I was transferred to my local hospitaljust over a week after which was my birthday and also the 10 year anniversary of my grandad dying in that same hospital. Glad I wasn’t conscious as it would have been upsetting. Luckily by that time my family knew I was going to survive.

34 minutes ago, Kmo86 said:

Another strange coincidence about when I had my bad car accident. I was transferred to my local hospitaljust over a week after which was my birthday and also the 10 year anniversary of my grandad dying in that same hospital. Glad I wasn’t conscious as it would have been upsetting. Luckily by that time my family knew I was going to survive.

Welcome to UM,

There are so many different variables involved in serious car crashes. People die in serious car crashes, but people also survive. 

They die or survive due to their specific crash; the exact scenario which has resulted in their bodies physical state after the crash has concluded. Cars are complex, the physics is complex, the human body is complex. 

Different doctors say different things, different people recover differently, there are so many factors involved and your scenario and the way you have written it doesn’t suggest anything more than a bad accident. 

Yes you could have been worse off, but you could also have been better off.

The meaning/purpose of life: Whatever you want or choose to do with the reality you experience. 

I’m glad that you have reasonably recovered.

I have no idea what you’re talking about in your second post? Why is that a strange coincidence?

• Like 1

Physics and timing. Kind of like how drunk people are way more likely to walk away from a serious car crash. Most accidents usually involve physics and timing. Then if you wanted you could get into the theoretical physics of how each universe is on a preditermined time line and your decision sort of jumps you from universe to universe in a grand scale of multiple universes. Steven Hawkings did a very interesting experiment using college students on a show regarding this subject but I forget the details.