Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Meanwhile ....

SHaYap

~

[00.01:26]

~

Heart-Wrenching Video Shows Starving Polar Bear on Iceless Land

3 days ago - Lack of sea ice is making it more difficult for polar bears to find food. ... When photographer Paul Nicklen and filmmakers from conservation group Sea Legacy arrived in the Baffin Islands in late summer, they came across a heartbreaking sight: a starving polar bear on its deathbed.
~
2 days ago - Video footage captured in Canada's Arctic has offered a devastating look at the impact climate change is having on polar bears in the region, showing an emaciated bear clinging to life as it scrounged for food on iceless land. The scene was recorded by the conservation group Sea Legacy during a late ...
~

Documentary makers describe breaking down as they film starving ...

www.independent.co.uk › News › Science

1 day ago - A group of filmmakers have shared images of the gut-wrenching moment they stumbled across a starving polar bear clinging to life in the wild as it scavenged ... Mr Nicklen was used to seeing bears in the wild, having grown up in Canada's far north, but nothing could have prepared him for this encounter.

~

One starving bear is not evidence of climate ... - Polar bear science

2 days ago - I've asked this question before because it speaks to the present political climate: where were the appeals to help the many starving polar bears back in the spring of 1974 when females with newborn cubs were starving in the Eastern Beaufort Sea because the thick spring ice drove ringed seals away before ...

~

~

~

Penguins starving to death is a sign that something's very wrong in the ...

https://www.theguardian.com › Opinion › Antarctica
Oct 13, 2017 - The awful news that all but two penguin chicks have starved to death out of a colony of almost 40,000 birds is a grim illustration of the enormous pressure Antarctic wildlife is under. The causes of this devastating event are complex, from a changing climate to local sea-ice factors, but one thing penguins, ...

~

Penguin disaster as just two chicks survive from colony of 40,000 ...

https://www.theguardian.com › Environment › Conservation

Oct 13, 2017 - A colony of about 40,000 Adélie penguins in Antarctica has suffered a “catastrophic breeding event” – all but two chicks have died of starvation this year. It is the second time in just four years that such devastation – not previously seen in more than 50 years of observation – has been wrought on the ...

~

Oct 13, 2017 - Mass starvation has wiped out thousands of Adelie penguin chicks in Antarctica, as unusually thick sea ice forced their parents to forage further for food. Mass starvation has wiped out thousands of penguin chicks in Antarctica, with unusually thick sea ice forcing their parents ...

~

Thousands of tiny baby Adélie penguin starve to death as changing ...

www.independent.co.uk/.../baby-penguins-adelie-global-warming-climate-change-w...

Oct 13, 2017 - Thousands of tiny baby penguins starved after changing weather forced their parents to trudge across Antarctica in search of food amid the changing climate. A colony of 18000 pairs of Adélie penguins in Terre Adélie, Antarctica suffered the catastrophic breeding failure earlier this year, according to the ...

~

~

[00.04:12]

~

• Like 4

I saw a photo and didn't recognize it as a bear.

To those who say that, "It's just a natural cycle", stuff that image up your pipe and smoke it.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

To those who say that, "It's just a natural cycle", stuff that image up your pipe and smoke it.

....or stick it where the sun doesn't shine.....

• Like 5

Just now, Piney said:

....or stick it where the sun doesn't shine.....

That's where I was alluding to.

• Like 2

It is sad to see it happening.  It is doubly sad how few people care.  If we don't figure out how deal with our impact on the earth, we are going to do ourselves in too .  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

I saw a photo and didn't recognize it as a bear.

It’s not a natural cycle, it’s a humanly influenced natural cycle. We most definitely have accelerated it, and it is sad that they can’t adjust. Sad images to see. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Heartbreaking. :(

• Like 3

Not to break anyones heart, but... How do old (and sick) bears look like? BTW, did those filmmakers tried to save that bear?

Freaking hypocrisy... "Ah, poor bear"... Look in the mirror, idiots...

13 minutes ago, simplybill said:

I find it interesting that the polar bear population is increasing, even as sea ice is receding. Nature appears to be maintaining a healthy balance.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/02/16/polar-bear-numbers-still-on-the-rise-despite-global-warming/

Fake news.

Haven't you seen starving white bear?

27 minutes ago, simplybill said:

I find it interesting that the polar bear population is increasing, even as sea ice is receding. Nature appears to be maintaining a healthy balance.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/02/16/polar-bear-numbers-still-on-the-rise-despite-global-warming/

Do read please:

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/despite-vanishing-sea-ice-canadas-polar-bears-appear-to-be-hanging-on-in-the-arctic-study-says

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

Fake news.

Haven't you seen starving white bear?

That’s a picture of just one bear, with no speculation on its poor health other than conjecture that it was caused by receding sea ice. That particular bear may have been surrounded by a dozen healthy bears. The photo strikes me as propaganda.

13 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

That’s the problem: researchers on both sides of the issue will present data according to their personal viewpoint. 

Seeing as how we’re not going to be able to reverse the melt in our lifetimes (if indeed the melt is man-caused) I plan to take a ‘wait-and-see’ attitude. I’ll continue to be environmentally conscious, though I’ll save my opinion on the bears’ future until researchers begin to find common ground in their findings.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, simplybill said:

That’s the problem: researchers on both sides of the issue will present data according to their personal viewpoint. 

Seeing as how we’re not going to be able to reverse the melt in our lifetimes (if indeed the melt is man-caused) I plan to take a ‘wait-and-see’ attitude. I’ll continue to be environmentally conscious, though I’ll save my opinion on the bears’ future until researchers begin to find common ground in their findings.

Just thought that you'd like to explore both sides of the same coin. :)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, simplybill said:

That’s a picture of just one bear, with no speculation on its poor health other than conjecture that it was caused by receding sea ice. [...]

Exactly.

[...] That particular bear may have been surrounded by a dozen healthy bears. [...]

Thats freaking stupid. Just because you don't see other healthy bears in the frame, that doesn't mean that particular bear isn't starving, sick, tired, etc. 

[...] The photo strikes me as propaganda.

Most likely.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2017 at 0:00 AM, Piney said:

:(

The saddest part about it nobody who can actually do anything gives a ****......

Humans shouldn't be doing anything. Why interfere in nature?

1 minute ago, Black Monk said:

Humans shouldn't be doing anything. Why interfere in nature?

Because we did the damage.

From a American Indian point of view you don't "live alongside of nature" but you create a balanced ecosystem that works. We understood the natural balance and manipulated just enough without screwing things up. It's called "agro-forestry" by Rutgers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Piney said:

Because we did the damage.

From a American Indian point of view you don't "live alongside of nature" but you create a balanced ecosystem that works. We understood the natural balance and manipulated just enough without screwing things up. It's called "agro-forestry" by Rutgers.

I think many native American cultures were highly invasive and destructive to their surroundings. The Sioux come to my mind here. 

And you can call them (American) Indians again? That‘s nice. :)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, FLOMBIE said:

I think many native American cultures were highly invasive and destructive to their surroundings. [...]

Exactly!

Kudos :tu:

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, FLOMBIE said:

I think many native American cultures were highly invasive and destructive to their surroundings. The Sioux come to my mind here. 

And you can call them (American) Indians again? That‘s nice. :)

Corn was destroying ground and causing wars since Cahokia fell. My people were rice gatherers though. We didn't mess with corn until after contact.

I friggin hate the term "Native American" as with many other NDNs. That was thought up by some liberal White person.

• Like 2

On 12/10/2017 at 6:46 PM, Timonthy said:

It’s not a natural cycle, it’s a humanly influenced natural cycle. We most definitely have accelerated it, and it is sad that they can’t adjust. Sad images to see. 

Are we so certain that we can?

Its impossible to defend human activity on this planet regardless of what group. And finger pointing solves nothing. The best solution is by starting at home. Minimize your footprint by reducing consumption, recycling and using available transit when possible. 

Also developing a respect for nature and our place in it would also help. People feel entitled here which is wrong. Education is key

https://interestingengineering.com/10-ways-humans-impact-the-environment

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Piney said:

Corn was destroying ground and causing wars since Cahokia fell. My people were rice gatherers though. We didn't mess with corn until after contact.

I friggin hate the term "Native American" as with many other NDNs. That was thought up by some liberal White person.

Yeah, the American Indian cultures were all pretty different, in the end. Some had a more healthy relationship with their environment, while others absolutely didn‘t. 

We‘ve always called them, „Indianer“, Indians in Germany, until the native thingy came up - and now it‘s „amerikanische Ureinwohner“. What a nice and little pair of words. :mellow:

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, FLOMBIE said:

Yeah, the American Indian cultures were all pretty different, in the end. Some had a more healthy relationship with their environment, while others absolutely didn‘t. 

We‘ve always called them, „Indianer“, Indians in Germany, until the native thingy came up - and now it‘s „amerikanische Ureinwohner“. What a nice and little pair of words. :mellow:

Too many syllables . We just say Skins among ourselves.:lol: 

• Like 1