Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

14 Inch Ivory "Spear" Found in Mammoth Bones

Piney

Maybe one of the earliest evidence of the 'Hold my beer' moments ...

~

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, BorizBadinov said:

A guy has to be really hungry to go poking one of those.

That is why the Clovis People used socketed spears with a short shaft on top. Drive the point in then reload the shaft with another point.

HPIM2143.JPG

• Like 6

Its a beautiful design. Several years ago we had some major flooding up in the hills where I kick around. It had cut some rivulets 10 or 12 feet deep and 4 to 6 feet wide so I walked them with a friend. She found a half spear point laying right on top of the sand in the bottom of the rivulet. Makes one wonder what the story was of how it got there and when.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BorizBadinov said:

Its a beautiful design. Several years ago we had some major flooding up in the hills where I kick around. It had cut some rivulets 10 or 12 feet deep and 4 to 6 feet wide so I walked them with a friend. She found a half spear point laying right on top of the sand in the bottom of the rivulet. Makes one wonder what the story was of how it got there and when.  

The catastrophic flooding from the 3 largest glacier lakes probably wiped out most of the evidence of the early Clovis Culture. Clam boats along the New Jersey Shore dredge up the points once in a while along with mammoth bones. Tony Bonofiglio and I found a intact thermokarst basin that wasn't grown over by a cedar swamp but we only found a few chips and a flute.

• Like 6