Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

France to ban mobile phones from schools

Still Waters

Mobile phones will be banned from schools in France from next September, the country's education minister has announced.

Jean-Michel Blanquer said the move - which was mooted in President Emmanuel Macron's election manifesto - would encourage children to play outside during break and lunchtime, and may also help combat cyber-bullying.

"These days the children don't play at break time anymore, they are just all in front of their smartphones and from an educational point of view that's a problem," Mr Blanquer was quoted as saying.

https://news.sky.com/story/france-to-ban-mobile-phones-from-schools-11167297

• Like 6

You can't really argue with the logic but I wonder how much of the concern might be for all those cameras that are available to watch everything the teachers are doing and saying?  The schools should just invest in devices that scramble or suppress signal while you're on the premises.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, and then said:

You can't really argue with the logic but I wonder how much of the concern might be for all those cameras that are available to watch everything the teachers are doing and saying?  The schools should just invest in devices that scramble or suppress signal while you're on the premises.

FM signal generators also interfere with ES radios though. 

• Like 2

Just now, Piney said:

FM signal generators also interfere with ES radios though. 

I didn't know that.  Well, scratch that idea.  I do agree that phones are a distraction and their use should be limited for young folks and completely restricted in a school setting.  Having an emergency link these days is a necessity as well, though...

• Like 1

Just now, and then said:

I didn't know that.  Well, scratch that idea.  I do agree that phones are a distraction and their use should be limited for young folks and completely restricted in a school setting.  Having an emergency link these days is a necessity as well, though...

There is a area In West Virginia where cell phones are banned because their FM signals screw with a radio telescope. 

• Like 1

My son is in middle school and he’s allowed to have his phone in his backpack but it has to be turned off.  My daughter is in High School and they’re allowed to have their phone but they can’t make/receive calls.

People use the “What if there is an emergency” argument all time when schools want to ban phones. I survived school without a phone. If there truly is an emergency (not “OMG mom, I have soccer practice after school and I need a ride.”) the kids can use the office phone. I know if I had an emergency and needed to get in touch with my kid I’d much rather call the office instead of their cell phone. I wouldn’t want to freak my kids out.

Edited by SecretSanta
  • Like 5

I immediately thought of emergency situations and how now there isn't an instant way of contacting anyone. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

My son is in middle school and he’s allowed to have his phone in his backpack but it has to be turned off.  My daughter is in High School and they’re allowed to have their phone but they can’t make/receive calls.

People use the “What if there is an emergency” argument all time when schools want to ban phones. I survived school without a phone. If there truly is an emergency (not “OMG mom, I have soccer practice after school and I need a ride.”) the kids can use the office phone. I know if I had an emergency and needed to get in touch with my kid I’d much rather call the office instead of their cell phone. I wouldn’t want to freak my kids out.

Maybe we're thinking of different types of emergencies. 

If someone can call 911 now and not have to run to the office, chances are definitely better for survival.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Maybe we're thinking of different types of emergencies. 

If someone can call 911 now and not have to run to the office, chances are definitely better for survival.

I guess that shows how my mind works, I honestly never thought about that. I know teachers in my kids schools have their phones on them or at least in the classroom. 

4 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

I immediately thought of emergency situations and how now there isn't an instant way of contacting anyone. 

My wife works in the school system and she carries a device around her neck that when pressed alerts the police immediately.She once caught the button by mistake and the cops were on the scene in 5 mins.

Edited by A rather obscure Bassoon
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, A rather obscure Bassoon said:

My wife works in the school system and she carries a device around her neck that when pressed alerts the police immediately.She once caught the button by mistake and the cops were on the scene in 5 mins.

My grandmother had one of those at our family farm. One button was for police. One for EMS. I was out working on a tractor when my 2 friends, who were cops came whipping into the driveway. The one saw me face first in our 6600 and laughed. He says to me "Did your grandma fall on the button?" 

If they come into schools here, they live in the teacher’s desk (for primary aged kids, so 5 to 12ish).