Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

HELP!

OverSword

37 minutes ago, OverSword said:

They are (were) just so good :tu:.  Couldn't have picked a better time to grow up even if I'd been given a choice.

You know man my youth came long after these guys ruled the airwaves but their music was still the soundtrack of my teens. Timeless quality the likes of which we wont see again (Ok well Zeppelin came awfully close IMO) 

• Like 6

Same thing in COLOR!

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

You know man my youth came long after these guys ruled the airwaves but their music was still the soundtrack of my teens. Timeless quality the likes of which we wont see again (Ok well Zeppelin came awfully close IMO) 

Me too really.  Born in 64.  But my earliest memory is riding in the car with my Mom and singing I want to hold your hand with her.  My parents were so young that I was way more of a rocker than most other kids.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 7

1962 and I used to take a bus to Penny Lane bus terminus with my mum every Friday afternoon on my way to ballet class. If the bus was early we would kill a few minutes looking in the photographer's shop window and that was where I first became aware of the Beatles. There was a photo of them in the window for a few weeks and we marvelled at the length of their hair ..... it just came over their collars! As a 10yr old, the first time I heard 'Love Me Do' on the radio it gave me goose bumps. When you look back over their back catalogue it's mindboggling ...... the quality of the songs is amazing, and most of them were written by band members. Their style changed a lot over the years but they always maintained that quality.

• Like 8

• Like 6

Friends of mine (the rapper cliques) often times would disrespect some of the songs in the Beatles catalogue saying there were mostly 'stupid' songs ...

Then ...

~

[00.02:41]

~

The lads were Song Craftsmen ... even their 'throwaway' tunes were magical as is often the case when performed so many times by so many fantastic musicians with their cover versions ...

~

• Like 7

I was born in 1970.   But I have 4 older brothers and an older sister who were all into the Beatles.   In fact One of my brothers seen them in concert.   He described it like this - "There were the Beatles and there was everyone else".  

They are my favorite band.  

• Like 9

It was 1964, my 2 older sisters were going bonkers over The Beatles appearance on Ed Sullivan. I was at the tender age of 15 3/4 and I couldn't find my butt with both hands and a flashlight.

I remember the girls screaming so loud you couldn't hear their songs. I just didn't get it.

Through the latter part of the 60's though, I became a big fan of course, and they were a big influence on my life as countless others.

• Like 8

No disrespect to anyones taste in music but...I'm with @.ZZ.

I respect the beatles for what they were/are to the past/present fans of actual music,i just never personally got "all the rage" over them...

Seeing @Farmer77 comparing them to Zeppelin makes me want to kick him in the nuts and punch him in the throat! :lol:

The 60's-70's had SO MUCH BETTER music and legendary bands...i dunno,the beatles just seem like comparing the backstreet boys to Alice in Chains :rofl:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

No disrespect to anyones taste in music but...I'm with @.ZZ.

I respect the beatles for what they were/are to the past/present fans of actual music,i just never personally got "all the rage" over them...

Seeing @Farmer77 comparing them to Zeppelin makes me want to kick him in the nuts and punch him in the throat! :lol:

The 60's-70's had SO MUCH BETTER music and legendary bands...i dunno,the beatles just seem like comparing the backstreet boys to Alice in Chains :rofl:

Alice did what now in the back of the street?

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

Alice did what now in the back of the street?

The Beatles crowds were just a lil bit "Roy Moore" 'ish... :wacko:

eta

Maybe "Bieber'ish" would be a better description...they were the first "boy band" 

Edited by CrimsonKing
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

eta

Maybe "Bieber'ish" would be a better description...they were the first "boy band" 

Must be the voice of experience talking.

Don't kill me CK, you aren't that far from me. :lol:

2 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

Must be the voice of experience talking.

Don't kill me CK, you aren't that far from me. :lol:

You're the Republican and now apparent beatle supporter all a sudden... 

What's up with that? :o

Oh and The Doors BLOW!!!...ok i made myself angry saying that :lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CrimsonKing said:

You're the Republican and now apparent beatle supporter all a sudden... 

What's up with that? :o

Oh and The Doors BLOW!!!...ok i made myself angry saying that :lol:

You remembered! ;)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

You remembered! ;)

Yeah ;)...one of my all time favorites aswell.

I'm sure my comments won't come across as the "most popular" on this thread lol...judging by your smart ass commentary hell i know they won't lmao :lol:

But i honestly never got The Beatles...that's why i started off with a disclaimer hahaha

I know about their importance to the history of music but...meh :mellow:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

Yeah ;)...one of my all time favorites aswell.

I'm sure my comments won't come across as the "most popular" on this thread lol...judging by your smart ass commentary hell i know they won't lmao :lol:

But i honestly never got The Beatles...that's why i started off with a disclaimer hahaha

I know about their importance to the history of music but...meh :mellow:

"You had to be there"

The Beatles" had done broke up" by the time y'all were born.

...now I need to get back to watching "Airplane II the sequel".

:lol:

• Like 5

To really appreciate the Beatles as musicians you'll have to take the Group apart and measure them on their own ... Paul's bass Ringo's Drumming George's Guitar ... John ... well John just had to be John ...

:)

~

• Like 4

Ive been a huge beatlemaniac since about 6. Im 53 now.There music was transformative on so many fronts! I started with the red and blue albums on 8 tracks.I remember those days. Hearing Day Tripper for the first time, Paperback Writer and all the others. Part of it was the contrasts in there music...Shes Leaving Home on one side..Helter Skelter on the other..and everything in between    fantastic   still a huge fan!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, CrimsonKing said:

eta

The difference is that they wrote their songs and played their instruments.  Comparing them to Bieber is like comparing Zeppelin to the Spice Girls.   I get that it's not your thing, but to me, no one else comes close.   Next level for me is The Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Tom Petty, Clapton and a few others.

• Like 2

I don't think its fair or just to pit Zeppelin and THe Beatles on the either or scale ... the Led Zep boys do recognise a lot of the influences the Fab Four on their music and rightfully so ... and the Post Beatles John Paul Ringo and George liked the Zep lads too ... LINK

~

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, third_eye said:

I don't think its fair or just to pit Zeppelin and THe Beatles on the either or scale ... the Led Zep boys do recognise a lot of the influences the Fab Four on their music and rightfully so ... and the Post Beatles John Paul Ringo and George liked the Zep lads too ... LINK

~

I agree.   It's tough to compare different styles of different era's.  

I think one could make a good argument for The Who being the greatest band ever.  They had the best bassist of all time, a top 3 drummer, a top 50 guitarist and a top 3 lead vocalist.    I don't agree with it though, but I would have them in the top 10 for certain. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

I agree.   It's tough to compare different styles of different era's.  

I think one could make a good argument for The Who being the greatest band ever.  They had the best bassist of all time, a top 3 drummer, a top 50 guitarist and a top 3 lead vocalist.    I don't agree with it though, but I would have them in the top 10 for certain. 

One thing to keep in mind is the Time period, not so much what was put out in the market but much more to what was available to the musicians, the producing/recording part as much as the equipment. The early part of the Beatles phenomenon was not the the US 'debut' John said it all the time ... by the time they landed on America the Beatles were already old hands ... it still boggles my mind how young they were then when the were called the Top of the pops ... :lol:

But then again it was a time when boys barely 16 were already shooting people on the war front for years ... 

~

addendum : I have only ONE album by the WHO on my collection ... 

Quadrophenia (film) - Wikipedia

Quadrophenia is a 1979 British drama film, loosely based on The Who's 1973 rock opera of the same name. It was directed by Franc Roddam in his feature directing début. Unlike the adaptation of Tommy, Quadrophenia is not a musical film, and the band does not appear live in the film. The film stars Phil Daniels as Jimmy, ...

Cast · ‎Soundtrack · ‎Production · ‎Reception

.. :lol:

Not in my top ten but there in the top 50 at least ... but then again my list includes a lot of bands from Asia as well as Europe and the rest of the world

~

Edited by third_eye
addendum
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, third_eye said:

.. :lol:

Not in my top ten but there in the top 50 at least ... but then again my list includes a lot of bands from Asia as well as Europe and the rest of the world

~

Europe and Asian huh.

• Like 2