Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Family films 'strange' creature in river

Still Waters

A Sydney family fishing on the Hawkesbury River were stunned by the sight of a large creature splashing near their boat.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/nsw/a/38255927/sydney-family-films-mystery-creature-swimming-in-hawkesbury-river/

• Like 8

Always interesting! 

• Like 4

Otter or turtle. They have otters in Australia ? On wiki : There are 13 species of otter worldwide, and every continent of the world is home to at least one species of otter except Australia and Antarctica.

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Jon the frog said:

Otter or turtle. They have otters in Australia ? On wiki : There are 13 species of otter worldwide, and every continent of the world is home to at least one species of otter except Australia and Antarctica.

My first thought was an otter. Thank you for the info, that's useful to know.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

Absolutely, no otters in that neck of the woods, seals yes, otters no. It's a turtle. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

My first thought was an otter. Thank you for the info, that's useful to know.

Australia is well S E of the Wallace Line, meaning the mammalian fauna is dominated by marsupials. With the exception of rodents, you won't find any of the familiar Eutherian mammals there. At least not those that haven't been introduced. No dogs, cats, rabbits, deer, etc. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Herr Falukorv said:

Looks like a large turtle

When you have seen as many turtles as I have....the way they stick their head up out of the water...yeah...it's a turtle...a very big turtle...but a turtle nonetheless.

Wait...I changed my mind...otter!  Come to think of it...you never see the turtles body...only their head...otter on his back...yep!~

Edited by joc
  • Like 1

Has nobody seen the jungle book?

It's clearly Baloo.

EVERYBODY SING...

Look for the bare necessities
The simple bare necessities
Forget about your worries and your strife
I mean the bare necessities
Old Mother Nature's recipes
That brings the bare necessities of life

Wherever I wander, wherever I roam...

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Aardvark-DK said:

Leatherback Turtle ? Surely looks like it...

Instant I saw it I thought Leatherback turtle too. 

• Like 2

Pretty clearly looks like a killer whale colored sea life or some such playing with a ball of something much like this dolphin is doing just need to know the species that could enter that river. According to the Hawkesbury Nepean Catchment Management Authority, the Hawkesbury River estuary supports the second largest commercial coastal fishery of estuary prawns, oysters https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawkesbury_River

Dolphin sightings are on the increase and local marine biologist Cassie Chronik hopes to find out why.https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/the-hills/dolphin-sightings-increase-on-hawkesbury-river-as-marine-biologist-researches-why/news-story/37f72f7db6de997fd2b7c2d142fe8ebe

They also do have turtles. So could well be a turtle.

Teenage turtles like Cliff are lucky to be rescued, because many are dying after eating hidden plastic pollution in Sydney Harbour and the Hawkesbury River when they come in summer to feed on seagrass meadows.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-12/sydney-harbour-hidden-plastics-threatening-endangered-turtles/8263368

dolphins_of_the_world_by_rogerdhall-d8tqlead_large.jpg?1430157266

Edited by Dyna
add

It looks exactly like a sea lion to me. In fact, I'm sure it's the same one that kept stealing the fish off my line the last time I was out fishing. :angry:

It's a hyrax.

• Like 2

2hq6wsk.jpg

The Hawkesbury River is a very large and diverse river system located on the outskirts of Sydney that offers some amazing fishing opportunities for locals and tourists alike. The best time to fish this system is generally between September and April when the water is warm and a huge variety of species make their way into and out of the system.  During these warmer months the Hawkesbury River acts like a giant nursery for all the juvenile fish as well as prawns, squid, crabs, stingrays, turtles, Octopus and many other marine creatures. (source)

Edited by Night Walker
video added
  • Like 7

• 2 months later...
On 3/5/2018 at 11:50 AM, Dovakiin said:

Gamera???

Of course not!

...It's a young Toto!(From Gamera the Brave)