Unexplained Mysteries uses cookies. By using the site you consent to our use of cookies as per our Cookie Policy.
Close X
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
trevor borocz johnson

converting energy directly into food

8 posts in this topic

trevor borocz johnson

Is there any way to turn energy directly into food? The best I can think of is artificial light for plants. I'm not sure how efficient that is. Was just thinking we could feed world hunger if we converted energy directly into food rather then drive heavy cars around. 

Aquila King

Energy isn't a 'thing' in itself. It's just a property of regular matter.

Now if you wanna ask can we use energy (like light as you suggest) to synthesize proteins and other nutrients that we need to feed ourselves through some artificial means, then yeah I'd say so. Plants do that s**t all the time. Though that artificially gets into nanotechnology and bioengineering on the microscopic scale, so it' a ways off from now.

• Like 1

XenoFish
34 minutes ago, trevor borocz johnson said:

Is there any way to turn energy directly into food?

Get really really fat. This will cause your body to store 'energy' in the massively bloated body you now possess. Then starve yourself. You're body will then feed off your fat until you've turned into a shriveled up corpse.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 3

ExpandMyMind

MyPods

real-humans-05_full.jpg

• Like 1

trevor borocz johnson
25 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

Energy isn't a 'thing' in itself. It's just a property of regular matter.

Now if you wanna ask can we use energy (like light as you suggest) to synthesize proteins and other nutrients that we need to feed ourselves through some artificial means, then yeah I'd say so. Plants do that s**t all the time. Though that artificially gets into nanotechnology and bioengineering on the microscopic scale, so it' a ways off from now.

Hmm do you think energy could be manipulated to act on a plant more efficiently possibly with the results of making the plant grow faster?

Aquila King
4 minutes ago, trevor borocz johnson said:

Hmm do you think energy could be manipulated to act on a plant more efficiently possibly with the results of making the plant grow faster?

You could create the perfect environment for said plant to flourish at it's maximum potential, but there are genetic limits as to how fast a plant can produce the nutrients it needs to stay alive. Again, energy is merely a property of regular matter. It has less to do with manipulating 'energy' to be more efficient, and more to do with making the machine (in this case the plant) more efficient in acquiring and utilizing the energy it needs to function. So in order to do this with plants you'd need to either mess with their DNA structure (since DNA alters the overall physical structure of the plant itself), or use nano-bots to aide in and/or 'speed up' the plant's natural processes. Or possibly a little of both. This technology is beyond us at this moment in time. So I'm afraid for now we'll just have to continue making food like we've been doing.

• Like 1

trevor borocz johnson
18 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

You could create the perfect environment for said plant to flourish at it's maximum potential, but there are genetic limits as to how fast a plant can produce the nutrients it needs to stay alive. Again, energy is merely a property of regular matter. It has less to do with manipulating 'energy' to be more efficient, and more to do with making the machine (in this case the plant) more efficient in acquiring and utilizing the energy it needs to function. So in order to do this with plants you'd need to either mess with their DNA structure (since DNA alters the overall physical structure of the plant itself), or use nano-bots to aide in and/or 'speed up' the plant's natural processes. Or possibly a little of both. This technology is beyond us at this moment in time. So I'm afraid for now we'll just have to continue making food like we've been doing.

How do they make artificial butters and sugars? are those energy intensive processes? could you just mix some ingredients that make up plants and apply energy to convert it to food?

Aquila King
4 minutes ago, trevor borocz johnson said:

How do they make artificial butters and sugars? are those energy intensive processes?

Dude, at this point you should just Google this s**t. Kinda throwin' out some basic science questions here.

7 minutes ago, trevor borocz johnson said:

could you just mix some ingredients that make up plants and apply energy to convert it to food?

I once worked in a factory that made steel wheels. By this logic we could just simply take a bunch of steel and loose machine parts, mix them together, apply energy, then viola! We have steel wheels.

No, you need the parts working together as a machine in order to build steel wheels. And you need the plants cells to be working properly in order to build what we use as fuel. This is why we don't go around eating dirt. We require the consumption of other life forms in order to survive.

Plants are different in this respect, as they are Autotrophs. They produce their own organic compounds through photosynthesis.

Don't mean to be insulting, but you're asking basic science questions that again, I think you could answer with a simple Google search.

• Like 1