Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Study Tracks Maori Groups With Obsidian

Piney

This reminds me of the nice obsidian pendant someone nicked from my stash ... painful memory ...

~

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, third_eye said:

This reminds me of the nice obsidian pendant someone nicked from my stash ... painful memory ...

~

A magatama?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Piney said:

A magatama?

Nahhh just a simple tear drop pendant ... but quite substantial ... African if accurate ... I would love to get my hands on a magatama though ...

Obsidian is crazy high on the price range nowadays ...

~

• Like 2

Just now, third_eye said:

Nahhh just a simple tear drop pendant ... but quite substantial ... African if accurate ... I would love to get my hands on a magatama though ...

Obsidian is crazy high on the price range nowadays ...

~

My stepmother gave me a really old jade one from Siberia. I rarely wear it and keep it in my juniper box with my other jade and lucky coins

• Like 3

Just now, Piney said:

My stepmother gave me a really old jade one from Siberia. I rarely wear it and keep it in my juniper box with my other jade and lucky coins

Jade needs to be worn close the the body and if kept, be as far away from metal objects as possible ... get a pouch and fill it with grains ... rice will do nicely ...

Kept dry and cool ... otherwise it gets 'brittle' and loses it 'gleam' and color

~

• Like 2

Jade needs to be worn close the the body and if kept, be as far away from metal objects as possible ... get a pouch and fill it with grains ... rice will do nicely ...

Kept dry and cool ... otherwise it gets 'brittle' and loses it 'gleam' and color

~

There is a little bag of rice in my box. The juniper oil fumes protects it too. The thing is probably from the Andronovo Horizon, so if it didn't get brittle in a thousand years. It's not going to. My other jade is cheap and waxed

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Piney said:

The juniper oil fumes protects it too. The thing is probably from the Andronovo Horizon,

Ohhhhh oil and Jade don't go well together ...

" ... so if it didn't get brittle in a thousand years. It's not going to."

Not to my knowledge ... if its going to go it will go ... sometimes in mere weeks ... I do a bit of revitalizing with my pieces in a jar with some clear spring water and a 24 hour stretch in the fridge ... not overly cold mind you ... sudden changes in temperatures ain't good ... depending on the shape and size

~

• Like 2

3 hours ago, third_eye said:

Ohhhhh oil and Jade don't go well together ...

" ... so if it didn't get brittle in a thousand years. It's not going to."

Not to my knowledge ... if its going to go it will go ... sometimes in mere weeks ... I do a bit of revitalizing with my pieces in a jar with some clear spring water and a 24 hour stretch in the fridge ... not overly cold mind you ... sudden changes in temperatures ain't good ... depending on the shape and size

~

Yours is probably real Jadeite . My stuff is nephrite

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Piney said:

Yours is probably real Jadeite . My stuff is nephrite

Ahhhh ... not too much in the know over that ... only seen and held it a few times in my life ... not much my type of the sparkle to be honest ...

~

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Ahhhh ... not too much in the know over that ... only seen and held it a few times in my life ... not much my type of the sparkle to be honest ...

~

Looks the same. Different chemical composition.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

Looks the same. Different chemical composition.

Not to us Chinese / Asians ... :lol:

Much more the 'feel' would be my best conclusion, hard to say it but I can tell by touch, if I'm not wrong nephrite is on the heavier side of the two ... that depends on the grade as much as the weights so I wouldn't place my money on it ... all I can say is that over this part of the world Jade means much more than just something nice as jewellery or accessory ...

~

You are only allowed to give 200 likes per day. You cannot give any more likes today.

Bummer ... I'll run you up your likes once I get my daily quota back ... :lol:

~

Edited by third_eye
  • Like 1

Not to us Chinese / Asians ... :lol:

Much more the 'feel' would be my best conclusion, hard to say it but I can tell by touch, if I'm not wrong nephrite is on the heavier side of the two ... that depends on the grade as much as the weights so I wouldn't place my money on it ... all I can say is that over this part of the world Jade means much more than just something nice as jewellery or accessory ...

~

It's sacred. Just like my little juniper box. 

• Like 1

Just now, Piney said:

It's sacred. Just like my little juniper box. 

Mine is Teak ... polished with tea tree oil (outside) every once in a while ...  :yes:

~

I gotta go ... gonna do my daily early morning errands before I catch some shut eye for a bit ... have a nice 'un :tu:

~

• Like 1