Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Pants & boots were forbidden in ancient Rome

6 posts in this topic

Still Waters

If you lived in ancient Rome, you would think twice before putting on your pants. To ancient Romans, trousers were the ultimate symbol of barbarism and no honorable man wanted to be considered the garb of a savage barbarian. There was even a law that strictly prohibited wearing pants and boots in ancient Rome.

Pants and boots (called in Latin ‘bracae’) were associated with horse-riding barbarians which included many Germanic groups such as Goths, Huns, Vikings and others.

http://www.ancientpages.com/2017/12/06/pants-boots-forbidden-ancient-rome-trousers-symbol-barbarism-ancient-romans/

• Like 7

Vlad the Mighty

I think it ought to be made clear that it's pants as in trousers that are being referred to here. Were undies allowed? I expect Third eye would know. 

Actually that's another Americanism that can easily lead to confusion isn't it, like gas and gasoline. 

• Like 2

Still Waters
7 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

I think it ought to be made clear that it's pants as in trousers that are being referred to here. 

The article is clear.

24 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

To ancient Romans, trousers were the ultimate symbol of barbarism and no honorable man wanted to be considered the garb of a savage barbarian. 

• Like 2

Kenemet
1 hour ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

I think it ought to be made clear that it's pants as in trousers that are being referred to here. Were undies allowed? I expect Third eye would know. 

Actually that's another Americanism that can easily lead to confusion isn't it, like gas and gasoline. 

Yes, they did have underwear (and if you think about it, for women unless you're expected to sit in a special house during menstruation, you need some sort of thing to hold cloths or pads so you can walk around without leaving a trail of blood.)  Details here (including leather underwear) https://www.bustle.com/articles/92316-5-ancient-underwear-looks-that-are-equal-parts-fascinating-and-bizarre

• Like 4

Tatetopa
14 hours ago, Still Waters said:

Pants and boots (called in Latin ‘bracae’) were associated with horse-riding barbarians which included many Germanic groups such as Goths, Huns, Vikings and others.

Too early for Vikings, but they would have joined that group if they had been there.  True barbarians wear plaid kilts.

• Like 2

third_eye

16 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Depends on how popular or how connected the Roman is ...

~

Testify” Comes From the Latin Word for Testicle. In ancient Rome, two men taking an oath of allegiance held each other's testicles, and men held their own testicles as a sign of truthfulness while bearing witness in a public forum. The Romans found a word to describe this practice but didn't invent the practice itself ...Dec 11, 2011

~

• Like 1