Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Death of Net Neutrality

Aquila King

Today (12/14/2017) the FCC voted to repeal Net Neutrality.

For those that don't know how this will affect us, here you go:

Lord knows how this will affect UM, but it'll affect everything else we do online.

Today is the official death day of the internet. Welcome to a new Orwellian future.

• Like 5

No 'Net Neutrality' is how the Net was five years ago. It worked pretty well.

Edited by PersonFromPorlock
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, PersonFromPorlock said:

No 'Net Neutrality' is how the Net was five years ago. It worked pretty well.

It works that way still, until the corporations take it over. Which they just did.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

It works that way still, until the corporations take it over. Which they just did.

So how many advertisements are on every web page? Even UM has them. Youtube has them. The internet is run by companies. 

ANd on that note ... cue ... the irrepressible Liza Minnelli ...

~

[00.02:56]

~

• Like 2

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

So how many advertisements are on every web page? Even UM has them. Youtube has them. The internet is run by companies. 

What ads? I don't see them.

I would link to my ad blocker but it wouldn't be in the spirit of our great site.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, .ZZ. said:

What ads? I don't see them.

I would link to my ad blocker but it wouldn't be in the spirit of our great site.

Log out and look through the forum. They're there. Unless you do have an adblock. That might X them out or something. Hell, every site that I go to except a few has advertisements. Corporations own the internet.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/14/technology/net-neutrality-repeal-explainer/index.html

WHAT EXACTLY IS NET NEUTRALITY?

The net neutrality rules were approved by the FCC in 2015 amid an outpouring of online support. The intention was to keep the internet open and fair.

Under the rules, internet service providers are required to treat all online content the same. They can't deliberately speed up or slow down traffic from specific websites or apps, nor can they put their own content at an advantage over rivals.

To take a classic example, this means Comcast can't just choose to slow down a service like Netflix (NFLX) to make its own streaming video service more competitive, nor can it try to squeeze Netflix to pay more money to be part of a so-called internet fast lane.

As Michael Cheah, general counsel at video site Vimeo, previously told CNNMoney: the point of the rules is "allowing consumers to pick the winners and losers and not [having] the cable companies make those decisions for them."

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Log out and look through the forum. They're there. Unless you do have an adblock. That might X them out or something. Hell, every site that I go to except a few has advertisements. Corporations own the internet.

Adblock, along with a script blocker, completely changes web browsing. I literally see no advertising at all, even on Google owned sites such as YouTube. Even the annoying video ads that run before the actual video you want to watch are removed.

• Like 3

By removing neutrality, who benefits, I wonder.

Sounds like "business" does.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

You have absolutely no clue how bad this is do you?

Fine. You'll know soon enough.

Just now, Aquila King said:

You have absolutely no clue how bad this is do you?

Fine. You'll know soon enough.

I honestly don't care. There is life outside the internet. But I can afford the internet that I want. Because I've got a job and money. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Just out of curiosity, does anybody buy items from these random ads?

Just now, XenoFish said:

I honestly don't care. There is life outside the internet. But I can afford the internet that I want. Because I've got a job and money. 

You don't care that you'll have to pay more for less service? And you don't care that others who don't have the money will have little to no internet? And you don't care that many people rely on the internet to communicate with loved ones, go to school, get their news, start and maintain a small business, etc.? And you don't care that this is destined to hurt the economy? And you don't care that literally every modern country in the world has a free and open internet and that now we're the only 'modern' nation that doesn't? And you don't care that over 83% of Americans vehemently oppose this decision and support Net Neutrality and yet despite that the FCC still does this anyway despite this supposedly being a democracy?

You really don't care about all this?

I'd say you most likely do, but just don't fully understand the real ramifications of this decision.

Nope. I don't care. Because I remember what is was like before the internet became what it is now. People had social skills. Fat people were a rare thing because most people were outside. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Nope. I don't care. Because I remember what is was like before the internet became what it is now. People had social skills. Fat people were a rare thing because most people were outside. 

Make America 'Great' Again, right?

Back in the 'good ol days' when everything sucked ass.

Who needs to think towards the future and improve mankind doing so? F that. Let's live in the dark ages and retard human civilization for a millennia once more.

2 minutes ago, F3SS said:

I don’t know that fat people were a rare thing but I don’t think things will be as dire as it’s being made out to be if this repeal stands. There’s a good article on Fortune that lays it out pretty well.

http://fortune.com/2017/12/13/fcc-net-neutrality-vote/

A 'good article on Fortune?'...

Of course Fortune would paint it in a positive light. It's in the name.

Not exactly in favor of how things affect the little guy.

2 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

Make America 'Great' Again, right?

Back in the 'good ol days' when everything sucked ass.

Who needs to think towards the future and improve mankind doing so? F that. Let's live in the dark ages and retard human civilization for a millennia once more.

You're too young to remember the 'old days'. Plus you've no real world experience yet. No job. No home of your own. No real bills if any. Once you get out into the real world and truly see how things work. I hope you learn something from it. 

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

You're too young to remember the 'old days'. Plus you've no real world experience yet. No job. No home of your own. No real bills if any. Once you get out into the real world and truly see how things work. I hope you learn something from it. 

Doesn't really have anything to do wit what I said, but whatever.

It's clear where we both stand on this. I care and you don't. Done.