Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
susieice

Woman Arrested For Child Abuse

37 posts in this topic

A woman in Texas has been arrested after doctors noticed her son had 323 hospital visits and 13 major surgeries between 2009 and 2016. He's only 8 yrs old. It's believed the abuse began when he was 11 days old.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/12/13/texas-mother-arrested-after-healthy-son-had-323-doctor-visits-13-surgeries-officials-say/950652001/

http://6abc.com/mom-arrested-after-son-has-323-hospital-visits-13-surgeries/2782017/?sf176368313=1

Edited by susieice
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just imagine all the cases of abuse out there that are never known about.

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poor kid :( hope his life improves greatly now.

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure glad this poor little guy is in protective custody now. That poor father! I hope he can get custody of the boy. The news video at the top is just heartbreaking. Where did all the money come from? Mom really endangered this child's well-being.

Edited by susieice
3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds like Munchausen's by proxy.  What a bizarre syndrome that is.  There was a great example of it in M Night Shyamalan's The Sixth Sense.  Remember the scene where a girl's ghost under a bed grabs the kid's ankle?  She had been killed by her mom who was suffering from Munchausen's.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, and then said:

It sounds like Munchausen's by proxy.  What a bizarre syndrome that is.  There was a great example of it in M Night Shyamalan's The Sixth Sense.  Remember the scene where a girl's ghost under a bed grabs the kid's ankle?  She had been killed by her mom who was suffering from Munchausen's.

Munchausen's is what I thought too. People suffering from that do it because they need someone to need them and they like the attention taking care of a sick person brings them. She also had solicited for people to donate money.

The USA Today article says the mother went from making up symptoms to causing them. All those doctors never questioned the things the mother was saying for all those years. Didn't they do tests to see if the boy really had cancer, or seizures, or intestinal issues that needed to be bypassed with a feeding tube? How can a cancer diagnosis not come after confirmation by biopsy? This woman must be a medical encylopedia to be able to fool them all into doing all those surgeries without any testing being done. Maybe one did question her and she changed to causing the problems. Just really glad this hospital did before they did surgery #14.

Edited by susieice
3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.ibtimes.com/texas-mother-arrested-forcing-healthy-son-undergo-13-surgeries-2627890

From above link:

However, the judge did not trust Crawford but believed Bowen and thought that he was not aware of his son’s ill-health.

According to various reports, Bowen managed to raise thousands of dollars online through social media by claiming that her son was suffering from terminal cancer and needed a lung transplant, heart surgery, and leg braces.

 

The father went into court to say his son wasn't ill. What doctors said this boy needed heart surgery, a lung transplant, leg braces, etc without CAT scans or MRIs? Did the mother present diagnoses or did she just tell the judge? The doctor who determined this boy had cancer was incompetent unless he has biopsy reports stating it was found in the boy's body. 

Edited by susieice
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:(

How could any doctor in their right mind approve the diagnosis's???? and go about the procedures????? This is where those "insurance hacks" should be held responsible too???

<_<

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Piney said:

:(

How could any doctor in their right mind approve the diagnosis's???? and go about the procedures????? This is where those "insurance hacks" should be held responsible too???

<_<

Every doctor and hospital involved in this needs to be reviewed by the medical board. They shouldn't have a license if they did all these surgeries on an 8 yr old without a solid diagnosis of all these diseases and health issues.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, susieice said:

Every doctor and hospital involved in this needs to be reviewed by the medical board. They shouldn't have a license if they did all these surgeries on an 8 yr old without a solid diagnosis of all these diseases and health issues.

I turned down many surgeries when I was "in the system". I watched people with my problems get worse as I got better. The Medical boards probably get their kickbacks too. I wouldn't be surprised.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Starting to wonder if this was true Munchausen by proxy or if mom just had a personal vendetta against the father and was doing this crazy crap for revenge or attention. The little boy had 2 older siblings that were alright, and have also been removed by Child Protection. That dad has a hell of a lawsuit, as he tried to take her to court and stop her. The judge ruled against him. You can bet hundreds of lawyers are chasing him to take his case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes indeed. This woman got a lot of money and attention and dad wasn't even allowed to see him. She kept telling the courts that he didn't know how to take care of his son.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mother-accused-healthy-son-hospital-surgeries_us_5a32ebb7e4b01d429cc736df

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently, the mother called the father from hospitals during her pregnancy making claims that she was sick. Since the other two kids were ok, I'm really thinking this was a personal thing against Christopher's father and not true Munchausen.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/dallas/article188865169.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, susieice said:

Apparently, the mother called the father from hospitals during her pregnancy making claims that she was sick. Since the other two kids were ok, I'm really thinking this was a personal thing against Christopher's father and not true Munchausen.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/dallas/article188865169.html

I'm not sure they were. At the end of that video in the report you posted earlier, another father is checking out his daughter's health history and believes she may also have been a victim. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless the fathers are completely oblivious to this type of thing going on, they're gonna be an obstacle to someone trying to hide Munchausen by proxy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

I'm not sure they were. At the end of that video in the report you posted earlier, another father is checking out his daughter's health history and believes she may also have been a victim. 

Can't find anything supporting this. I don't think this father could have done more to try and be an obstacle to his son's mother.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, susieice said:

Can't find anything supporting this. I don't think this father could have done more to try and be an obstacle to his son's mother.

There were half-siblings, so there was more than one father. In the video they show on the usatoday link you posted...towards the end, they mention the second father and how he is researching his daughter's medical history because he believes she was also a victim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not arguing with you. If one of the other kids were suffering, it's just more lawsuits against the mother, doctors and possibly courts. As of right now, I see nothing confirming the other kids were put through this, but I don't blame the fathers for inquiring. 

Edited by susieice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And all I'm saying with the obstacle bit is that there may have been no other vendetta except for her to cover up her Munchausen syndrome. He may have been the squeaky wheel father who realized something was wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, susieice said:

I'm not arguing with you.

I'm just sharing where you can find the information. I'm not arguing with you, either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the other fathers are able to prove their children were involved, they need to speak out also. I've searched but I can't find confirmation of the other two. I found a lot on what she did to this father. Hopefully, we'll hear from the other fathers soon. These doctors that just butchered this kid need to be in court too. Christopher's father had tried to get custody several times. I hope he succeeds now. It's going to take a lot of money to take care of this child now after all he's been put through.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5177043/Man-fights-custody-son-fake-illness-plot.html

Edited by susieice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, susieice said:

If the other fathers are able to prove their children were involved, they need to speak out also. I've searched but I can't find confirmation of the other two. I found a lot on what she did to this father. Hopefully, we'll hear from the other fathers soon. These doctors that just butchered this kid need to be in court too. Christopher's father had tried to get custody several times. I hope he succeeds now. It's going to take a lot of money to take care of this child now after all he's been put through.

I'm not sure whether there were two or three fathers, only that there were half-siblings and another father is suspicious that his daughter may have been a victim. 

I'm sure one of the fathers could have had two kids with the mom. 

I think what people with Munchausen do is that they shuffle around from doctor to doctor, clinic to clinic, and hospital to hospital. They don't sign for records to be transferred, etc. They play a lot of manipulative games. It's sad that this wasn't found out sooner, especially with the one dad screaming that something was wrong. At least when she got to Dallas, they figured it out. 

Poor little thing. And who knows what she might have done to the others. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I'll bet that there are plenty of exploratory surgeries someone can manage to convince well-meaning docs to do, especially if they claim their child is suffering.

Of course a doc would want to figure out what's wrong, not even imagining that the mom could be doing this on purpose. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how rare Munchausen is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She displayed symptoms during her pregnancy with Christopher, but can't find anything saying she had symptoms earlier in her life, like her teen years. These fathers need to raise the double hockey sticks and make sure this case doesn't pass into oblivion.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.