Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The forbidden words

Tiggs

I went to Snopes, at the time of my posting this has yet to be confirmed by the CDC. But, it appears that it's "policy analysts" (whatever that entails) who are supposedly forbidden from using these words (didn't say anything about scientists and/or researchers not using the words).

I'm at a loss to explain this as it seems very odd indeed.

Link to Snopes: https://www.snopes.com/2017/12/15/trump-administration-bans-cdc-officials-using-certain-words/

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, some new guy said:

reminds me of a skit by George Carlin, only not as funny

It's even seven words.

• Like 4

The Washington Post doesn't have a good track record with Trump administration 'scandals'. We might want to wait for confirmation from a reliable source.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, PersonFromPorlock said:

The Washington Post doesn't have a good track record with Trump administration 'scandals'. We might want to wait for confirmation from a reliable source.

Agreed.

Also, it's the so called "Policy Analysts" who aren't supposed to be using those words. I looked up what a Policy Analyst actually is: https://www.chegg.com/career-center/explore/policy-analyst  It sounds like a political position...not a scientific position so that may be a clue as to what's going on there.

From the link:

Policy analysts can be found in government offices, lobbying groups, and nonprofit organizations. During the day, you work with your team, planning out an analysis strategy, but meetings and special events can run into the evening. You need to take direction from leaders and know how to work as part of a team towards a common goal.

Expect to interpret data on your own, present your findings to the group, and defend those findings, while still keeping an open mind to other viewpoints. Good oral and written communication skills are also necessary to share your findings via meetings, presentations, and reports.

• Like 3

I can see an institution getting sick of "buzz words", but to outright ban them seems silly.

You know, they say that part of fascism is the merging of government and business to do things like strip away your rights.  It seems that we are increasing happy to sign away our freedom of speech, our privacy, etc as a condition of employment.  (The if you don't like it, just get another job mentality)

For example: If the government put a camera on every street corner, Americans would be upset.  But if every store had a camera, we would be fine with it.  If we did a national database of everyone's health care, internet habits, and shopping habits people would have a fit.  But if corporations did it, we don't care.  Free speech?  Not at work.  Second Amendment?  Not at most workplaces.  You get the idea.

The problem happens when all businesses start doing the same thing and they extend it to off work stuff then freedom is gone.  Just look at people who got fired for posting things on Facebook for example. 

Edited by Gromdor
spelling
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Gromdor said:

I can see an institution getting sick of "buzz words", but to outright ban them seems silly.

I don't think this is the case...they don't want the Policy Analysts at the CDC using those words. Read my link about what a Policy Analyst's function is and it becomes far less odd as to why they do not want certain words used in the Policy Analysis at the CDC. This isn't anti-science at the CDC, it's anti-politics at the CDC.

• Like 1

Just now, Lilly said:

I don't think this is the case...they don't want the Policy Analysts at the CDC using those words. Read my link about what a Policy Analyst's function is and it becomes far less odd as to why they do not want certain words used in the Policy Analysis at the CDC. This isn't anti-science at the CDC, it's anti-politics at the CDC.

So the government banning words from their employees, because they don't want to give the impression of freedom of speech or independent or political thought in their employees isn't a bad thing? 

No, the government is disallowing certain politically based subject matter (highlighted by the use of words) by those who are Policy Analysts at the CDC. When these people do a Policy Analysis for the CDC (which is the job they are being paid to do) certain politically charged subject areas (highlighted by use of words) are not to be entered into. The CDC deals with nation wide health issues not with politics and lobbying for various social causes.

Look at the words again, these words all carry the potential for political issues on gender, abortion, belief based vs science based claims. Seems to me more of push to keep politics out of the CDC.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Lilly said:

No, the government is disallowing certain politically based subject matter (highlighted by the use of words) by those who are Policy Analysts at the CDC. When these people do a Policy Analysis for the CDC (which is the job they are being paid to do) certain politically charged subject areas (highlighted by use of words) are not to be entered into. The CDC deals with nation wide health issues not with politics and lobbying for various social causes.

Look at the words again, these words all carry the potential for political issues on gender, abortion, belief based vs science based claims. Seems to me more of push to keep politics out of the CDC.

Weeeeell.... perhaps Lilly. But... doesn't that mean they are putting faith on the same level as science ? 

• Like 1

Perhaps there will be further clarification as to what's going on at the CDC regarding Policy Analysis. My hypothesis is just a potential explanation.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Weeeeell.... perhaps Lilly. But... doesn't that mean they are putting faith on the same level as science ? 

I have no idea...where does it say they are going to deal with faith?

Frankly, the CDC should only be dealing with science/medicine/epidemiology...not with social issues like abortion, transgender issues, social entitlements and so forth.

I'm just guessing that this might be the explanation for the word banning thing. I certainly don't know for sure.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Lilly said:

I have no idea...where does it say they are going to deal with faith?

Frankly, the CDC should only be dealing with science/medicine/epidemiology...not with social issues like abortion, transgender issues, social entitlements and so forth.

Weeeell.... my eyebrows where raised by the inclusions of "evidence based" and "science-based" as being "forbidden" terms. That kinda suggests a refusal to differentiate between Scientific analysis, and..... something else  

• Like 5

How, exactly, are those 7 words inappropriate for CDC policy writers?

Fetus... what's wrong with that? Tell me.

Transgender... seems like a simple, single word to denote gender transformation.

Science-based/evidence-based... what the heck is wrong with those words?

...and so-on with the other banned words to the CDC.

----------------------------------

This is absolutely outrageous.

• Like 4

Any remaining respect for Trump I might have had has now entirely evaporated.

This is nothing short of insanity.

16 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Weeeell.... my eyebrows where raised by the inclusions of "evidence based" and "science-based" as being "forbidden" terms. That kinda suggests a refusal to differentiate between Scientific analysis, and..... something else  

I have no idea why "evidence based" and "science based"  were forbidden to be used by Policy Analysts at the CDC. I can only guess that perhaps these terms were being used in some subject area deemed as being not the province/responsibility of the CDC somehow?

This one really needs some clarification. Hopefully the CDC will comment upon this soon.

• Like 1

Just now, pallidin said:

Any remaining respect for Trump I might have had has now entirely evaporated.

This is nothing short of insanity.

No, it may not be insanity...we don't even know what this is really about yet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lilly said:

No, it may not be insanity...we don't even know what this is really about yet.

Ok, I'll wait out of respect to UM.

• Like 1

Just now, pallidin said:

Ok, I'll wait out of respect to UM.

Uh...wait out of respect for reality. Right now we don't really know what's what with all this.

• Like 1