Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The forbidden words

Tiggs

For that matter, although the WaPo attributes this to "The Trump Administration", do we actually know if the White House had any involvement in this ? I see refference to "career civil servants" ? 

Mind you, WaPo attributes EVERYTHING bad to Donald Trump. Usually without offering any corroboration whatsoever. 

Well, we will see :)

• Like 4

The following is entirely fictitious...

I found-out why those seven words were banned. From a blog post:

"President Trump, vulnerable to diversity issues regarding transgenders, claims a "don't touch me" entitlement... even though that issue is both evidence and scientifically-based. He responded to the press in a fetus-like position."

"The assertion that HHS has 'banned words' is a complete mischaracterization of discussions regarding the budget formulation process," the HHS statement said. "HHS will continue to use the best scientific evidence available to improve the health of all Americans. HHS also strongly encourages the use of outcome and evidence data in program evaluations and budget decisions.”

Source: ABC News

IMO -- seems to be less of a denial that the words were discussed, and more of a complaint about the way it's been reported.

Looking forward to substantial clarification.

1) Are those 7 words really banned from use by CDC employees?

2) Why, specifically, was each word banned?

3) Who exactly gave the order?

4) Was Trump aware of this order?

Edited by pallidin

46 minutes ago, pallidin said:

4) Was Trump aware of this order?

I doubt it's on his radar, tbh. Probably all contained within the CDC.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tiggs said:

Policy analysts at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta were told of the list of forbidden words at a meeting Thursday with senior CDC officials who oversee the budget, according to an analyst who took part in the 90-minute briefing. The forbidden words are “vulnerable,” “entitlement,” “diversity,” “transgender,” “fetus,” “evidence-based” and “science-based.”

Source: Washington Post

The war on Science is real. Or, at least, the war on '"science-based" is.

Fake News!  Know what my first clue was?   Your Source:  The Washington Post...by now TWP and CNN should just scream out Fake News as soon as you see them.

See the Real News is that Obama had a list of Forbidden words.  Among them was:  Terrorist...Islamic Extremist...and on and on.

This is so ridiculously Fake that i am surprised you fell for it!

Just now, joc said:

Fake News!  Know what my first clue was?   Your Source:  The Washington Post...by now TWP and CNN should just scream out Fake News as soon as you see them.

See the Real News is that Obama had a list of Forbidden words.  Among them was:  Terrorist...Islamic Extremist...and on and on.

This is so ridiculously Fake that i am surprised you fell for it!

CDC aren't denying it. They're just saying that it was "mischaracterized".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tiggs said:

CDC aren't denying it. They're just saying that it was "mischaracterized".

.....mmmm hmmm....

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, joc said:

.....mmmm hmmm....

Because they don't like the way it's been reported -- that makes it fake news, how, exactly?

2 hours ago, Lilly said:

No, the government is disallowing certain politically based subject matter (highlighted by the use of words) by those who are Policy Analysts at the CDC. When these people do a Policy Analysis for the CDC (which is the job they are being paid to do) certain politically charged subject areas (highlighted by use of words) are not to be entered into. The CDC deals with nation wide health issues not with politics and lobbying for various social causes.

Look at the words again, these words all carry the potential for political issues on gender, abortion, belief based vs science based claims. Seems to me more of push to keep politics out of the CDC.

Did you read the article?  Some of the CDC's offices specifically use those words:

"At the CDC, several offices have responsibility for work that uses some of these terms. The National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention is working on ways to prevent HIV among transgender people and reduce health disparities. The CDC’s work on birth defects caused by the Zika virus includes research on the developing fetus."

It even has links to applicable web pages.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

For that matter, although the WaPo attributes this to "The Trump Administration", do we actually know if the White House had any involvement in this ? I see refference to "career civil servants" ? 

Mind you, WaPo attributes EVERYTHING bad to Donald Trump. Usually without offering any corroboration whatsoever. 

Well, we will see :)

Well if he's going to take credit for everything good that happens then I say that's a two-way street! :lol:

To me this just sounds like Trump/his staff appealing to their evangelical base. Most of those terms have the same relationship with their wild beliefs and arguments as salt does to a slug. 

Edited by ExpandMyMind

I did read the article, I also read the article I linked to where it stated the words were to be disallowed regarding Policy Analysis...didn’t say disallowed for the entire CDC.

The only result of all of this so far is Liberals curling up in the fetal position any time the current administration does anything.

• Like 6

Maybe this is just as simple as saying the CDC should stick to medical/epidemiological issues and shouldn’t be involving itself in politics? 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Maybe this is just as simple as saying the CDC should stick to medical/epidemiological issues and shouldn’t be involving itself in politics? 

You think those words are political?

4 minutes ago, Lilly said:

What the point of Policy Analysts if politics aren't allowed to be involved?   In your description is flat out says their job involves politics.   And if so why ban political words?  Wouldn't their job would require the use of it the most?

As for CDC and politics,  I hear more political stuff from churches than I have ever heard from the CDC.

Edited by Gromdor
  • Like 1

Just now, ExpandMyMind said:

You think those words are political?

It’s possible that the Policy Analysts were using those words in a political context. As of now our information about this situation is very limited. Hopefully there will be clarification soon. 

• Like 1

It wasn’t “my description” about what Policy Analysts engage in (read the second link). The CDC by no means needs to be political, it’s the Center for Disease Control for goodness sakes, not the Center for Social Policy. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Lilly said:

It wasn’t “my description” about what Policy Analysts engage in (read the second link). The CDC by no means needs to be political, it’s the Center for Disease Control for goodness sakes, not the Center for Social Policy. 

"Policy analysts are active observers of the political world. Though you’re not part of the legislative system yourself, you take careful note of and study all elements of new laws as they’re being developed. Typically you focus on one area of specialization, such as immigration or environmental policy. Every facet of modern life is touched by government policies, so you can specialize in almost any field that moves you. Being highly motivated to investigate and study..."

The first paragraph in your link.   How can they do their job of "active observers of the political world", if they can't use "political" words?  It's a government agency, so politics touches it whether they want it to or not. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Lilly said:

If "evidence-based" and "science-based" are now political words -- then maybe the words aren't the problem, and the politics are.

• Like 8

*If* the Washington Post article presented an accurate portrayal of the administration's decision, it's both hypocritical and ludicrous to do what the Left (#not all) does so well. *If* it's yet another dishonest, misleading bit of fake news, it's business as usual with the Amazon Post. More information will come out in the wash. Nothing would surprise me.  

• Like 2

Perhaps the Policy Analysts were not using the terms ‘evidence based’ and ‘science based’ in proper context? I have no idea why those words would be banned for use by the Policy Analysts at the CDC? Perhaps clarification will be forth coming? 

2 hours ago, Tiggs said:

Because they don't like the way it's been reported -- that makes it fake news, how, exactly?

I redard everything as fake news...sad...but true...their track record isn't very good.

WaPo article has now been updated:

A second HHS agency received similar guidance to avoid using “entitlement,” “diversity” and “vulnerable,” according to an official who took part in a briefing earlier in the week. Participants at that agency were also told to use “Obamacare” instead of ACA, or the Affordable Care Act, and to use “exchanges” instead of “marketplaces” to describe the venues where people can purchase health insurance.

At the State Department, meanwhile, certain documents now refer to sex education as “sexual risk avoidance.”

Also:

Lloyd declined to identify any specific inaccuracies in The Washington Post’s report about words that are prohibited in CDC budget documents. The CDC analyst said it was clear to participants that they were to avoid those words.

“What would you call it when you’re told not to use those words?” the person said. “If that’s not a ban, maybe I need to improve my vocabulary.”

• Like 2