Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Still Waters

Boy, 9, locked in safe playing hide and seek

9 posts in this topic

A nine-year-old boy playing hide and seek at his grandfather's home had to be rescued by firefighters after he hid in a safe.

The boy was playing with his little brother at the home in Lichterfelde, Berlin, when he found the ultimate hiding place.

Unfortunately, the door to the unused safe closed on the boy, locking him in.

https://news.sky.com/story/boy-nine-locked-in-safe-during-game-of-hide-and-seek-in-berlin-11172664

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

The story had a happy ending and that is what really matters. The poor child didn't realize the safe would lock on him and it was unfortunate that no one knew the code except for granddad.

Of course no one ever suspected that it would be needed in an emergency because no one ever foresaw that a kid would use it to hide in. I just hope the authorities aren't gonna start harassing the family over this, just tell granddad to make sure the door is closed at all times and just leave it at that.

Good thing the boy didn't seem overly bothered...probably can't wait to tell his friends at school either.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well in the end, the boy is safe and really, being safe is all that matters when you find yourself trapped in a safe. :blink:

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would prosecute the grandfather for leaving a safe like that open...what a dumb ****.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, it could have ended in tragedy.  I can remember ad campaigns as a kid in the 60's where people were advised to remove the doors from old refrigerators or to permanently block them open because kids had closed themselves inside while playing and had suffocated.  

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2017 at 10:46 AM, joc said:

I would prosecute the grandfather for leaving a safe like that open...what a dumb ****.

I think prosecution may be a bit over the top but a firm reprimand might be a good option. Also better parenting by teaching children the dangers of playing in potentially lockable spaces. When I was a kid it was common education for kids to be taught not to play around any old refrigerators or other appliances that didn't have their doors removed because back then they still had latches that only opened from the outside on them. 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BiffSplitkins said:

I think prosecution may be a bit over the top but a firm reprimand might be a good option. Also better parenting by teaching children the dangers of playing in potentially lockable spaces. When I was a kid it was common education for kids to be taught not to play around any old refrigerators or other appliances that didn't have their doors removed because back then they still had latches that only opened from the outside on them. 

Ya...me too....refrigerators.

But see the thing is...if you throw the book at one guy and make an example out of him....maybe the rest will get the message....but probably not. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, joc said:

Ya...me too....refrigerators.

But see the thing is...if you throw the book at one guy and make an example out of him....maybe the rest will get the message....but probably not. 

In today's society, if you throw the book at someone, then everyone piles on to get their 15 minutes of fame or their winning lotto ticket (aka cash settlement). It's not the same world I grew up in. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Sooth Sayer said:

In today's society, if you throw the book at someone, then everyone piles on to get their 15 minutes of fame or their winning lotto ticket (aka cash settlement). It's not the same world I grew up in. 

Word!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.