Unexplained Mysteries uses cookies. By using the site you consent to our use of cookies as per our Cookie Policy.
Close X
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

'Extinct' mammal in Australia resurfaces

8 posts in this topic

Still Waters

A crest-tailed mulgara, a small carnivorous marsupial known only from fossilised bone fragments and presumed extinct in NSW for more than century, has been discovered in Sturt National Park north-west of Tibooburra.

A team from the UNSW Sydney's Wild Deserts project made the unexpected discovery during recent scientific monitoring.

UNSW scientist and wild deserts ecologist Dr Rebecca West says it is particularly exciting to find a crest-tailed mulgara alive for the first time in NSW.

https://phys.org/news/2017-12-mammal-thought-extinct-australia-resurfaces.html?

• Like 8

papageorge1

Can the Tasmanian Tiger be next?

• Like 1

oldrover

This is lovely, and I'm struck by just how much this animal in the photo resembles a quoll, one of my favourite animals and which can be seen at the moment in Bristol Zoo, but, this isn't quite the story it seems. The animal wasn't thought to be extinct, it's just that there's been no previous contemporary record in this part of its historic range before now. But still it's great news. 

The only sad part about this is that I know I'll be reading comments about the thylacine after this for a few weeks. 

• Like 6

oldrover
7 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Can the Tasmanian Tiger be next?

I knew it. 

No, the thylacine is extinct. 

• Like 2

Boozemonkey

Hope springs eternal...

• Like 2

DieChecker

20 square kilometers doesn't seem like much. That's only like 4.5 kilometers on a side. I guess it would be a good proof of theory, if such clearing out of placental mammals will allow the marsupials to rebound.

• Like 3

Myles
17 hours ago, DieChecker said:

20 square kilometers doesn't seem like much. That's only like 4.5 kilometers on a side. I guess it would be a good proof of theory, if such clearing out of placental mammals will allow the marsupials to rebound.

I thought the same.     It'll have to be quite the fence to keep rabbits and foxes out.   Maybe a wall.   I heard Mexico will fund it.

• Like 2

DieChecker
On 12/18/2017 at 4:21 AM, Myles said:

I thought the same.     It'll have to be quite the fence to keep rabbits and foxes out.   Maybe a wall.   I heard Mexico will fund it.

In Australia, I hear it is the Indonesians who need to be kept out. :o

Perhaps the fenced areas will go way underground with the fence? We had rabbits and deer getting in our garden and we had to go 4 feet down and 8 feet up, to keep them out.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1