Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Poltergeist or something else?

Chatty patty

For the past 5 years my mom has been tormented by something. She is a devout Christian & we have tried everything!! I’m hoping to get some help or suggestions.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chatty patty said:

For the past 5 years my mom has been tormented by something. She is a devout Christian & we have tried everything!! I’m hoping to get some help or suggestions.

If you want help or suggestions you need to tell us more.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. 

Ok here goes.. it all started about 5 years ago. My was living in a little house in the country. She had lived there a couple years when she started to become paranoid thinking people were out to harm her. She would wake up in the middle of the night with something touching her she thought someone was coming in her house at night. She said she could smell foul smells, smoke smells , or really loud perfume smells at times. 

She has since moved from the house @ now lives in an apartment with the same stuff happening. Only this time it’s worse. She says she can feel something blowing on her at night & she is seeing writing on her body that no one else can see. She sees it on her floors & walls also. She is not on any medication except for blood pressure meds. She has told her Dr & they have labeled her as schizophrenic which she is not. My mother is a devout Christian. Her bible has verses underlined about sinners that she did not do and pages have been turned down in her bible to represent sinners & demons! We are very desperate & I don’t know where else to turn! She goes to see a neurologist in January to hopefully get some answers as to the reason all of this  started. This is not all that has happened but a bit of it. Please Any opinion is welcome.

Thank you 

• Like 1

If anyone else was experiencing these things she claims to be experiencing, I might think there was something else going on.

But that's not the case here.

Your Mom sees things no one else can see and her doctor has diagnosed her with schizophrenia. 

She needs to take her meds. 

• Like 7

My mom is 64 & lives alone. I don’t think you can develop schizophrenia overnight. Plus she is being scratched & bruised nightly. 

• Like 1

You write in the OP that this started 5 years ago so its not overnight as I see it.
And you keep repeating that she is a devout christian and stuff.. What has that to do with anything?
Maybe she spends to much alone and her fantasy carries her away.

This reminds me of the mother of a childhood friend to me.
She lives nextdoor to my parents and she has allways been normal if that is a category you can put on people.
Anyway approximately five years ago her husband died and after that she started to act strange.
Sometimes she comes to my parents in the middle of the night terrified as hell and says that there are people in the garden spying on her or at my parents.
Or that someone has been in her house.
The first time this happened my parents reacted with fear. They thought it was burglars who were out on recon.
My father rushed out in the garden with his baseball bat but there were noone there.

She is the only one who has seen these black clothed men that are spying on her.
She has called to my father on several occasions and asked him to look out the window but he has never seen any even when she says in the phone they are still there.

• Like 3

I would listen to the doctors. 

If she has been diagnosed as having schizophrenia why isn’t she on meds? My father-in-law is schizophrenic and his medicine has made his life so much better. 

• Like 4

First off... Welcome to UM :st Please, take time to read the site rules, and check out some threads while you are here. :tu:

Your mom sounds like she's been going through a rough time for the last 5 years. And it's something that needs to be kept up with medically. A doctor has diagnosed her as schizophrenic. She may actually be schizophrenic. She may also have other things going on with her medically considering her age, you may want to go to another doctor and get a second opinion on what is going on with your mom. It can be difficult to accept the fact that our parents get older and can medically change from the person we grew up with. But taking care of ones health should always be first and foremost, and it should never be ignored for the sake of pursuing spooky.

You say your mom has been to the doctor. But have you sat down with her doctor to voice your concerns and what's going on to them as well? If you haven't, maybe you should. Sometimes people aren't entirely honest with their doctors, or with their loved ones about what they tell their doctors. If your mom got stuff going on in her head, she might need some extra help and honesty from you with the medical professionals.

If by some chance your mom might actually have something spooky going on... you still need to take care of the medical stuff first and foremost. Pretty much every angle in the spooky community is going to ask for the medical background. I'm going to suggest you take time and sit down and write down what you can remember of the progression of this for the last five years. Include things like her panic moments, what specifically was done to her bible, her doctors visits and results of those visits- all of it.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Chatty patty said:

My mom is 64 & lives alone. I don’t think you can develop schizophrenia overnight. Plus she is being scratched & bruised nightly. 

People do that in their sleep to themselves.

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 2

The thing that also bothers me is that you claim your Mother has been diagnosed with schizophrenia, but isn't on any medication except for her blood pressure.

If she is schizophrenic, then she should be on medication for that.

Get a second opinion if you're having doubts about the first one. Go see that neurologist, but if docs keep telling you that she's schizophrenic, get her on the medication.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Chatty patty said:

Please Any opinion is welcome.

Well, no one can know for sure, not even doctors or people that help with psychic problems. Definitely pursue the mainstream medical angle to its conclusion. I do not think medical science fully understands what schizophrenia is but they can often help the unwanted symptoms. 

The second angle would be to seek the advice of a paranormal/psychic help team but you would need to find someone respectable in your area.

Good Luck

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Well, no one can know for sure, not even doctors or people that help with psychic problems. Definitely pursue the mainstream medical angle to its conclusion. I do not think medical science fully understands what schizophrenia is but they can often help the unwanted symptoms. 

The second angle would be to seek the advice of a paranormal/psychic help team but you would need to find someone respectable in your area.

Good Luck

Worst advice ever. The lady's mother needs help. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Worst advice ever. The lady's mother needs help. 

Why is 'Definitely pursue the mainstream medical angle to its conclusion' part of the worst advice ever?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Why is 'Definitely pursue the mainstream medical angle to its conclusion' part of the worst advice ever?

You wanting to make it a psychic ability. That's the worst thing a person can suggest. Yes follow medical advice, but never ever suggest its paranormal, ever. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

You wanting to make it a psychic ability. 

I said she might seek the advice of reputable psychic help team. I have respect for the reputable ones and they may tell her they feel there is no external entities operating. Our difference is that I believe such reputable people are out there.

5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

That's the worst thing a person can suggest. Yes follow medical advice, but never ever suggest its paranormal, ever. 

I believe people have been genuinely tormented by the paranormal.

And remember I called the psychic help the second angle they might pursue. The daughter is claiming Bible verses are getting underlined mysteriously (who knows). A psychic cleansing may also be psychologically therapeutic to the mother.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

A psychic cleansing may also be psychologically therapeutic to the mother.

Or make the problem much worse. All that would really do is feed everyone's delusions. Psychics are just people fooling themselves. How stupid do you have to be in order to believe in them? 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Or make the problem much worse. All that would really do is feed everyone's delusions. Psychics are just people fooling themselves. How stupid do you have to be in order to believe in them? 

Different opinion here. How stupid do you have to be to reject every bit of an enormous body of anecdotal evidence?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

Different opinion here. How stupid do you have to be to reject every bit of an enormous body of anecdotal evidence?

Its anecdotal, it isn't even evidence. Nothing more than stories. 

• Like 2

Thanks for everyone’s advice& welcoming me to the page. 

I just know that she doesn’t have dementia As she has a tremendous memory still. She just thinks someone is doing things to her but when I ask what good would it do them she says I don’t know. 

I also have a camera in her house so I can keep a check on her. I have not seen anything but a very bright light over her bed a couple of times & a couple of times float around the room next to her.

As far as meds go they did not give her anything for the schizophrenia.

I just pray we can get some answers next month from the neurologist. I want her to be happy again! All she does is say we don’t believe her when she tells us things that are happening. But at the same time I don’t know what to do or say. She’s just really frustrated & so am I cause I can’t help her!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

If she begins taking her medication she would not need to even contemplate this ridiculous piece of advise.

If she is suffering from schizophrenia,  couple that with being deeply religious and not on any medication, going down the paranormal route would send her right over the edge. 

can you not see the dangers behind your advise on the paranormal? Have you no understanding about people who suffer from schizophrenia? Obviously NOT.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Chatty patty said:

Thanks for everyone’s advice& welcoming me to the page. 

Has her doctor diagnosed schizophrenia? If so, giving her nothing for it does not make sense.

That ‘very bright light’ above her and moving around her does sound suspicious to me especially in conjunction with these other things.

But seeing if the doctors can help is step1.

3 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Has her doctor diagnosed schizophrenia?

Apparently so

14 hours ago, Chatty patty said:

She has told her Dr & they have labeled her as schizophrenic

Edited by freetoroam

Just now, freetoroam said:

Apparently so

1 minute ago, freetoroam said:

Apparently so

I am still waiting to get clarification on why she said she is not schizophrenic too. I will proceed with my advice after clarifying questions if I may.

13 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I am still waiting to get clarification on why she said she is not schizophrenic too. I will proceed with my advice after clarifying questions if I may.

Because people like to deny mental illness. You know, because no one want to admit suffering through something like that. It can make them even more self conscious and embarrassed. I happen to know first hand how that feels.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Because people like to deny mental illness. You know, because no one want to admit suffering through something like that. It can make them even more self conscious and embarrassed. I happen to know first hand how that feels.

The OP is not the experiencer, if you notice. Secondly, I am of course considering the scenario you mentioned but not jumping to it as a conclusion as you have. 

• The topic was locked