Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World's 1st Spiritualist School Founded In Wi

rashore

The world’s first school of spiritualism, the Morris Pratt Institute, was incorporated Dec. 11, 1901 in Wisconsin. Its founder, Morris Pratt, used his fortune to fund a school for the scientific teaching of spiritual truths.

Morris Pratt was born in New York and moved to Wisconsin in 1840 as a young man with his three brothers. He built a successful farm and soon became active in spiritualist circles in southern Wisconsin.

Spiritualism began in upstate New York in the 1840s and became extremely popular in the mid-19th century, particularly during and after the Civil War in the northeast and Midwest. Among its beliefs was the idea that people could contact the spirits of the dead. These spirits were thought to live closer to God so communing with them would help the living understand God’s purpose. Spiritualists believed strongly in science, arguing that the spiritual world was subject to the same natural laws as the earth.

https://www.wpr.org/worlds-first-spiritualist-school-founded-wisconsin

• Like 2

The school dedicated itself to rejecting "nothing because it is new and unpopular; it accepts nothing because it is old and popular. It seeks only truth."

Hmm. I don't know about ghosts, but I've read worse things than the above to be dedicated to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rashore said:

Spiritualists believed strongly in science, arguing that the spiritual world was subject to the same natural laws as the earth.

Well that didn't work out too well for them.

I am an unabashed believer in spiritualism. Know many times over enough stuff. I have to comment that progress in this area that could help so many intellectually and spiritually is held back and restricted to the fringe by this materialist/physicalist bias among our so-called leaders of our academic institutions  who the mainstream considers the cognoscenti. I am starting to feel some progress in recent decades, but this stuff is still poorly respected fringe stuff. 

Edited by papageorge1

• 7 months later...

Unfortunately science is still lag behind in many areas, not only is it not able to explain everything, sometimes, it actually explains things wrong.  According to the book Medical Medium - Life-Changing foods by Anthony William, "No one is getting a chance to learn the truth, because we're working off an old foundation of theories about chronic illness. Leading the pack is the medical industrial machine, which is really just made up of people who have no choice, because they're forced-fed these outdated, misguided theories. Following them are people who don't have any better information to go on. Eventually they all fall into the pit of darkness and death together, and as a result, the masses suffer."

I agree that science has made leaps and bounces in our quality of life, and I benefit from many modern inventions. But it doesn't mean we can't accept the perspective of say for instance a medical intuitive -  the author is not trained as a medical doctor, yet, I'd read two of his books and found him to be credible. He offers loads of medical info beyond what the medical communities can offer now. He has given hope to so many people.

I have recently discovered Charlie Goldsmith from Australia, he's an energy healer who has been helping a lot of people with unhealable diseases for free and has demonstrated a record of remarkable results. Yet, he's being mocked and discredited by fierce skeptics.  

I agree with you papageorge1, spiritualists with an alternate view to the same problem are always being overshadowed by science and academia. I was verbally attacked by someone on a writer's platform on Facebook as being mentally ill, drugged, drunk and a whole nine yards of other terms just because I mentioned my non-fiction memoir chronicled my paranormal/supernatural experiences. How sad, a lot of people still can't see the healing side of what spiritualists can offer. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, HayleyBi said:

-  the author is not trained as a medical doctor, yet, I'd read two of his books and found him to be credible. He offers loads of medical info beyond what the medical communities can offer now. He has given hope to so many people.

Its called quack doctor.

I have recently discovered Charlie Goldsmith from Australia, he's an energy healer who has been helping a lot of people with unhealable diseases for free and has demonstrated a record of remarkable results. Yet, he's being mocked and discredited by fierce skeptics.

Which unhealable diseases exactly? Names of the "healed"?

3 minutes ago, toast said:

Its called quack doctor.

Which unhealable diseases exactly? Names of the "healed"?

You can google him and watch some clips on Youtube

Wisconsin seems like a strange place for something like this.

On 7/27/2018 at 5:33 PM, HayleyBi said:

Unfortunately science is still lag behind in many areas, not only is it not able to explain everything, sometimes, it actually explains things wrong.  According to the book Medical Medium - Life-Changing foods by Anthony William, "No one is getting a chance to learn the truth, because we're working off an old foundation of theories about chronic illness. Leading the pack is the medical industrial machine, which is really just made up of people who have no choice, because they're forced-fed these outdated, misguided theories. Following them are people who don't have any better information to go on. Eventually they all fall into the pit of darkness and death together, and as a result, the masses suffer."

I agree that science has made leaps and bounces in our quality of life, and I benefit from many modern inventions. But it doesn't mean we can't accept the perspective of say for instance a medical intuitive -  the author is not trained as a medical doctor, yet, I'd read two of his books and found him to be credible. He offers loads of medical info beyond what the medical communities can offer now. He has given hope to so many people.

I agree with you papageorge1, spiritualists with an alternate view to the same problem are always being overshadowed by science and academia. I was verbally attacked by someone on a writer's platform on Facebook as being mentally ill, drugged, drunk and a whole nine yards of other terms just because I mentioned my non-fiction memoir chronicled my paranormal/supernatural experiences. How sad, a lot of people still can't see the healing side of what spiritualists can offer. 

There is nothing to take serious. People are either highly imaginative, delusional, or mentally ill. Dead is dead. Ghost, spirits, god, etc. are all just figments of the imagination. Energy Healers, everyone of them is a fraud. Some quack selling snake tears.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

There is nothing to take serious. People are either highly imaginative, delusional, or mentally ill. Dead is dead. Ghost, spirits, god, etc. are all just figments of the imagination. Energy Healers, everyone of them is a fraud. Some quack selling snake tears.

"The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something you know nothing about, yet refuse to investigate" by Wayne Dyer

• 2 months later...

Goodness, this thread has taken on a nasty tone of commentary. Let's all discuss the OP topic in a civil manner please.

On 7/28/2018 at 9:13 PM, HayleyBi said:

"The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something you know nothing about, yet refuse to investigate" by Wayne Dyer

I've investigated. It's a placebo effect. A bandaid for a bigger problem that needs real medical attention.