Unexplained Mysteries uses cookies. By using the site you consent to our use of cookies as per our Cookie Policy.
Close X
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
rashore

World's 1st Spiritualist School Founded In Wi

4 posts in this topic

rashore

The world’s first school of spiritualism, the Morris Pratt Institute, was incorporated Dec. 11, 1901 in Wisconsin. Its founder, Morris Pratt, used his fortune to fund a school for the scientific teaching of spiritual truths.

Morris Pratt was born in New York and moved to Wisconsin in 1840 as a young man with his three brothers. He built a successful farm and soon became active in spiritualist circles in southern Wisconsin.

Spiritualism began in upstate New York in the 1840s and became extremely popular in the mid-19th century, particularly during and after the Civil War in the northeast and Midwest. Among its beliefs was the idea that people could contact the spirits of the dead. These spirits were thought to live closer to God so communing with them would help the living understand God’s purpose. Spiritualists believed strongly in science, arguing that the spiritual world was subject to the same natural laws as the earth.

https://www.wpr.org/worlds-first-spiritualist-school-founded-wisconsin

• Like 2

eight bits

The school dedicated itself to rejecting "nothing because it is new and unpopular; it accepts nothing because it is old and popular. It seeks only truth."

Hmm. I don't know about ghosts, but I've read worse things than the above to be dedicated to.

• Like 1

I'mConvinced
3 hours ago, rashore said:

Spiritualists believed strongly in science, arguing that the spiritual world was subject to the same natural laws as the earth.

Well that didn't work out too well for them.

papageorge1

I am an unabashed believer in spiritualism. Know many times over enough stuff. I have to comment that progress in this area that could help so many intellectually and spiritually is held back and restricted to the fringe by this materialist/physicalist bias among our so-called leaders of our academic institutions  who the mainstream considers the cognoscenti. I am starting to feel some progress in recent decades, but this stuff is still poorly respected fringe stuff. 

Edited by papageorge1