Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Secret Chamber Behind Sphinx's Ear

dreamland

The image of the Sphinx overlaid with the Golden Ration doesn't actually seem particularly useful: it appears to have nothing to do with the actual measurements of the statue.

I think there's a lot more of you wanting to see it than anything else.

--Jaylemurph

Edited by jaylemurph
  • Like 5

34 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

The image of the Sphinx overlaid with the Golden Ration doesn't actually seem particularly useful: it appears to have nothing to do with the actual measurements of the statue.

--Jaylemurph

It's about divinity. I messed up and put it too far to the left, plus none of them are completely perfect in their original design also (one thing is the ears are too big), although I would say they are some of the best pieces of artwork ever.

Here is a couple more statues.  That broken ear was done on purpose I am thinking.

205b29.jpg

217osi.jpg

And:

1z188r.jpg

1xmg2t.jpg

Most if not all religions use the Golden Ratio in one way or another:

203pjh.jpg

Edited by Mystic Crusader

19 minutes ago, Mystic Crusader said:

It's about divinity. I messed up and put it too far to the left, plus none of them are completely perfect in their original design also (one thing is the ears are too big), although I would say they are some of the best pieces of artwork ever.

Here is a couple more statues.  That broken ear was done on purpose I am thinking.

205b29.jpg

217osi.jpg

And:

1z188r.jpg

1xmg2t.jpg

You have not proved your point.  There are hundreds of statues of Anubis...AND various rough drawings of Anubis.  They drew on a grid, and there was no Golden Ratio process in there.

Also, your photo of the Giza pyramids is not taken looking straight on at them but at an angle.  And the Khafre photo simply shows that you can tile Golden Ratio drawings ...but does not actually take into account the rest of the components around it (like the wall.)

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Mystic Crusader said:

You slap the Golden Ratio randomly on most any object. Why? What exactly are you trying to show? Please flesh out your theme if you're posting it in a public forum.

And the ear would definitely never have been made deliberately broken. Anubis was a key god in their culture, and this statue venerates him. To make something like that with a defective ear would, in their minds, cause that deity to be deaf. Bad mojo, there. On top of which, there's no extant evidence the Egyptians knew of the Golden Ratio, per se.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

--Jaylemurph

I'll bet the Golden Ration perfectly fits the Ascended Maters.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

You slap the Golden Ratio randomly on most any object. Why? What exactly are you trying to show? Please flesh out your theme if you're posting it in a public forum.

And the ear would definitely never have been made deliberately broken. Anubis was a key god in their culture, and this statue venerates him. To make something like that with a defective ear would, in their minds, cause that deity to be deaf. Bad mojo, there. On top of which, there's no extant evidence the Egyptians knew of the Golden Ratio, per se.

I think they did know about the Golden Ratio.

Gold was considered by the ancient Egyptians to be a divine and indestructible metal. It was associated with the brilliance of the sun. The sun god Re was called "the mountain of gold" and during the Old Kingdom, the Pharaoh was called "the Golden Horus. The skin of the deities was believed to be golden.

http://www.egyptianmyths.net/gold.htm

21olg6.jpg

Here is another one, and then I'm done for the night.  It's at the wall too, and once again, nothing is perfect.

1zz7rn.jpg

I guess I see where your imposition of the golden ration on the above pyramid (for example) where the long horizontal line has nothing to do with either the ground or the base of the pyramid, where none of the lines intersecting at the top of the picture meet where the actual pyramidion would be, and where either horizontal line has any meaningful relationship with the width of the actual pyramid, and I think "these things -- the pyramid and the golden ratio -- have no obvious connection."

The Golden Ratio is a /ratio/ -- a measurement of the relationship between two things. The pyramid is one. What's the other? For example, another famous ratio is pi, which shows the relationship of the circumference to its diameter. It has no other meaning or symbolism beyond that. It feels like you don't have a firm grip on the mathematics of what the Golden Ratio is and measures, and you think it's significant of itself. And it isn't, at least no more significant than the numeral five or the ratio expressed as pi. 

And the Golden Ratio /is/ a sort of perfection -- if things don't exactly match up -- like every single one in these photos -- then they're not in the Golden Ratio.

--Jaylemurph

Edited by jaylemurph
  • Like 3

So what I see about the Golden Ratio is that it can be applied to the pyramids at Giza if you are standing in one location out of a near infinite set of locations. Or in one aerial location out of a set of near infinite locations. Cool!!

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 2

As to the pocket below the ear, I to think it probably was an attachment point. Imagine if they wanted to have the statue include large golden ornaments. Just sculpting them on might not have been structurally possible with limestone, so they had to cut a slot and mount it with a large pin.

As to why there is a block in the hole... Probably someone (in antiquity?) found the "pin" part of the attachment and they placed it back where it belonged.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

I guess I see where your imposition of the golden ration on the above pyramid (for example) where the long horizontal line has nothing to do with either the ground or the base of the pyramid, where none of the lines intersecting at the top of the picture meet where the actual pyramidion would be, and where either horizontal line has any meaningful relationship with the width of the actual pyramid, and I think "these things -- the pyramid and the golden ratio -- have no obvious connection."

The Golden Ratio is a /ratio/ -- a measurement of the relationship between two things. The pyramid is one. What's the other? For example, another famous ratio is pi, which shows the relationship of the circumference to its diameter. It has no other meaning or symbolism beyond that. It feels like you don't have a firm grip on the mathematics of what the Golden Ratio is and measures, and you think it's significant of itself. And it isn't, at least no more significant than the numeral five or the ratio expressed as pi. 

And the Golden Ratio /is/ a sort of perfection -- if things don't exactly match up -- like every single one in these photos -- then they're not in the Golden Ratio.

--Jaylemurph

21vn1b.jpg

12 hours ago, Kenemet said:

You have not proved your point.  There are hundreds of statues of Anubis...AND various rough drawings of Anubis.  They drew on a grid, and there was no Golden Ratio process in there.

Also, your photo of the Giza pyramids is not taken looking straight on at them but at an angle.  And the Khafre photo simply shows that you can tile Golden Ratio drawings ...but does not actually take into account the rest of the components around it (like the wall.)

You can incorporate the "Golden Ratio" without ever realizing it and using a grid system. I know a registered master carpenter (that never graduated high school) who knew in order to square a wall you used 3-4-5, or 6-8-10 measurements to double check. He never realized it was a mathematical equation called the Pythagorean theorem until about 30 years later when he decided to go back and get his GED as a personal life goal.

It was amusing to see him doing his coursework, then having it finally click when he saw it's practical application and not just a bunch of letters in an equation next to a picture of a triangle in his textbook.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mystic Crusader said:

I think they did know about the Golden Ratio.

Gold was considered by the ancient Egyptians to be a divine and indestructible metal. It was associated with the brilliance of the sun. The sun god Re was called "the mountain of gold" and during the Old Kingdom, the Pharaoh was called "the Golden Horus. The skin of the deities was believed to be golden.

http://www.egyptianmyths.net/gold.htm

21olg6.jpg

Here is another one, and then I'm done for the night.  It's at the wall too, and once again, nothing is perfect.

1zz7rn.jpg

Gold, silver, and lapis lazuli were considered precious... but not divine.  And it certainly wasn't considered to be indestructible, as anyone who works with gold can tell you.  The pharaoh was not called "the Golden Horus" - it was one of his five (sometimes seven) titles (like Mr. President) and was trotted out only on very few occasions.

The Golden Ratio placed on the color spectrum doesn't make much sense, you know.  The spectrum has no height.  Those colors can be presented as a block or as a line.

Finally, the bottom picture relies only on a single viewpoint...that would not have been observed by the ancient Egyptians.  There would have been temples and other structures in the picture that would have changed the composition.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jarocal said:

You can incorporate the "Golden Ratio" without ever realizing it and using a grid system. I know a registered master carpenter (that never graduated high school) who knew in order to square a wall you used 3-4-5, or 6-8-10 measurements to double check. He never realized it was a mathematical equation called the Pythagorean theorem until about 30 years later when he decided to go back and get his GED as a personal life goal.

It was amusing to see him doing his coursework, then having it finally click when he saw it's practical application and not just a bunch of letters in an equation next to a picture of a triangle in his textbook.

Except that this wasn't done by the Egyptians.  We do have their draft works and the grid system that they used for art (which changes throughout the millennia - there's no 3-4-5 or 6-8-10 grid standard.  You can force it on some of the works, but it would not be the system they used.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mystic Crusader said:

1zz7rn.jpg

Just backing up Kenemet's observation.  What you are calling the wall is the remnants of the Sphinx temple which would have blocked most of the lower half of this view.

6 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

Except that this wasn't done by the Egyptians.  We do have their draft works and the grid system that they used for art (which changes throughout the millennia - there's no 3-4-5 or 6-8-10 grid standard.  You can force it on some of the works, but it would not be the system they used.

I was not insinuating they used the Golden Ratio or a 3-4-5 grid system in their works. My apologies if I have not clearly articulated that. 

To me it kind of relates to the similarities some point to in pyramid construction of the various cultures around the globe (which I personally find strikingly different). All the different cultures built pyramids which can be today be explained with equations from our math system even though they utilized their own systems.

That we can apply something such as the Golden Ratio to these structures(sometimes wedging it where the variance would not normally allow imho) would for me just be explaining it in a familiar modern format rather than detailing the multitude of various systems used in the original constructions. 

Again I am not implying some secret lost knowledge that a new age fringe has rediscovered. The incessant mathterbation employed by some on the megalithic sites relating to sacred numbers using imperial or metric measures highlighting a hidden connection is a bit wearisome at times. I am just saying if the "Golden Ratio" is inherently pleasing as is asserted then ancient cultures may have built to it in an approximation that matched their method of calculating.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Mystic Crusader said:

1zz7rn.jpg

Even in your picture nothing lines up on the overlay. It is not just "nothing is perfect" it is way out. The casing stones are missing from the pyramid and the endpoints of the approximately 1/3 height line are offset from the edge of the pyramid pretty far (as is the base line). The apex of the pyramid does not align with the centerline of the Sphinx face. Even if you moved the camera so those did align that would push the horizontal line  even further out of alignment. The horizontal line at the base of the pyramid shows that the Egyptian builders did not bother grading the land to level and left it pretty much intact between the two structures. If they were building to this mystical ratio and seemed to have no issues using a million blocks of stone grading a couple acres of soil would not be something they would have avoided if this ratio were intentional in the overall design between structures. Others have already mentioned that the photo is of the site as seen today and not at apogee where the other structures which would have been part of the conjectures overall plan using the Golden Ratio must also be accounted for.

Discounting the purported relationship between the two structures let's just look at the alignment on the Sphinx only. Even if you push your centerline over to the middle of the face your vertical lines are not going to align evenly with the headdress, shoulders, or paws.

(See Kenemet I don't just disagree with Feline demon worshipping Academic Cabal members :P).

• Like 2

Belaboring the point: Another modern view of the Sphinx from the ruin of its temple, but viewed from the ground.  Keep in mind the building stones are quite large.5a47ee56e03c9_..jpg.afb12928e2f65a594418ee81ab2d3535.jpg 

This view is from (what was) the front wall of the temple.  You can see the remains of the rear wall in the gap.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Wistman said:

Belaboring the point: Another modern view of the Sphinx from the ruin of its temple, but viewed from the ground.  Keep in mind the building stones are quite large.5a47ee56e03c9_..jpg.afb12928e2f65a594418ee81ab2d3535.jpg 

This view is from (what was) the front wall of the temple.  You can see the remains of the rear wall in the gap.

This is a perfect example of "golden ration proportions make a PHOTO look good."

The ratio is not here in the materials that exist in the real world (the shadow under the paw-like block can be made into a perfect golden ratio diagram, for example.)  The Golden Ratio is, however, present in the PHOTO and is based on the location where the shot was taken, the angle toward the object, and the enhancing and cropping of the photo.

• Like 1

I think we've had enough with this sidetrack. Let's either stay on-topic or allow this thread to die a dignified death.

Just one more, if you'll allow it kmt_sesh.

This stupid "golden ratio" overlay is silly. 

If the AEs knew about the golden ratio, it was in the form of the "golden rectangle" (several of which appear in that overlay.)

Examples of the golden rectangle in Egyptian architecture have been pointed out - mostly by fringe writers.

The golden rectangle is a very easy thing to construct with compass and straightedge - find it on wiki if you don't think so.

Since we know that the AEs employed tools analogous to compass and straightedge, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that they knew how to construct the golden rectangle.

My point being - what if they did?

So what?

Harte

That's fine, Harte.

But if some recall, last summer Mystic Crusader started a thread called "The Great Sphinx and the Golden Ratio:"

As you'll notice, the last post in that thread was mine, announcing that the thread was closed at the OP's request. Mystic wasn't happy with the direction the thread was going. I cooperated and closed the thread. So I'm a little miffed that he's posting the same stuff again and is hijacking this thread. Why?

As a note to all posters, further Golden Ration posts are likely to be removed. Mystic Crusader, would you like me to reopen the old thread? That's where such posts belong.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/19/2017 at 0:29 AM, dreamland said:

I found this very nice close up of the chamber..click on image - full screen and zoom in.

Sphinx_of_Giza_9059.jpg

They ought to use that Cosmic Ray technique that was used in the pyramid over here! 

On 12/18/2017 at 7:05 PM, Winter Summer said:

sphinx.png.ef4ea2304996782aef0fe91a2d1ceb02.png

The entrance of the ancient wax factory ! Were did you think they would have found all the wax for the mommies ? It's just there !

• Like 4