Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

An Amtrak passenger train derailed

Colt Storm

I didn't see this posted yet

(Reuters) - An Amtrak passenger train derailed on Monday during its inaugural run along a faster route through Washington state, sending part of the train crashing down onto a major highway and killing an unknown number of passengers, authorities said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-washington-train/amtrak-train-on-new-route-derails-in-washington-state-killing-several-idUSKBN1EC239

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Colt Storm said:

Holy smokes. That's a helluva way to finish a project :blink: Those last moments on the train must have been terrifying

Seventy-seven people were transported to hospitals... 

Approximately 78 passengers and five crew members were aboard the train

Only 8 not in hospital then... 

Edited by Setton

"The derailment occurred on the first day Amtrak trains began using a new inland route between the cities of Tacoma and Olympia, part of a project to reduce travel time...Monday’s train.. was the first to run along the new route, which uses tracks owned by a local commuter line. "

Well that's not good.  I wonder who is going to get blamed for this one.

• Like 2

Just now, little_dreamer said:

.  I wonder who is going to get blamed for this one.

not clear yet.

could be human error, or could be poor construction, or could be design flaw. this was brand new route. 

but if in doubt, blame trump

• Like 4

Amtrak Cascade Rollout 2017

How ironic!  ...and sad...

• Like 1

always sad that anyone dies near xmas...especially when it wasnt their time... the poor families left behind

• Like 7

I’m not gonna say anything yet, but there might be much more to this story. 

• Like 1

It seems not everyone was in agreement on this from day one.

The city of Lakewood sued the Washington State Department of Transportation in 2013 seeking to halt the project, arguing it had not undergone sufficient environmental review. The city lost its case in part because the law preempts cities and towns from regulating rail lines. 

Lakewood Mayor Don Anderson said his city had fought against the new rail line, which moved fast passenger trains onto what had been a less-used freight line.

“I didn’t predict a time, but I did say somebody is going to get killed,” Anderson said in an interview Monday. “I hoped that wasn’t right.”

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/transportation/lakewood-mayor-predicted-new-amtrak-rail-line-would-lead-to-fatalities/

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Yes, the internet is on fire with theories.

I just hope that they are wrong.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

I might know what you mean by that. One or more groups mention sabotaging public transportation as a form of political and/or social protest. Individuals can draw their own conclusions as to the reference. It wouldn't surprise me if they're linked to it because they have a documented propensity for violence, as well as crimes of all kinds.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

8 hours ago, Paranormal Panther said:

I might know what you mean by that. One or more groups mention sabotaging public transportation as a form of political and/or social protest. Individuals can draw their own conclusions as to the reference. It wouldn't surprise me if they're linked to it because they have a documented propensity for violence, as well as crimes of all kinds.

Or it could be a train going into a 30 mph bend at 80 mph. 

But no, blame it on your political opponents. It's the new American way... :rolleyes:

• Like 5

It's disgusting that people are immediately using this tragedy as an opportunity to spew political propaganda. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Colt Storm said:

what he was talking about was level crossing collisions, which are very common and was in fact nothing at all to do with what happened here, so a rather disgraceful piece of told-you-so-ing from the good Mayor. Has he blamed Trump? 

9 hours ago, Paranormal Panther said:

holy crap, are you trying to insinuate what I think you're trying to insinuate? 

37 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

holy crap, are you trying to insinuate what I think you're trying to insinuate? 

Panther lives in his own little reality where 'the commies' lurk behind every door plotting to overthrow the government. They're easily recognised though - they're anyone who disagrees with him. 

Must be quite terrifying for him. Bless. 

1 hour ago, ChaosRose said:

It's disgusting that people are immediately using this tragedy as an opportunity to spew political propaganda. 

I could not agree more Chaos Rose. 

I was quite shocked to come in to the thread and see it had gone this way.

• Like 1

Confirmed

Bella Dinh-Zarr said the 12-carriage train had engines at the front and rear. The back engine's data recording had been retrieved, she said, and "preliminary indications are that the train was travelling at 80mph on a 30mph track".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42408624

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Setton said:

Or it could be a train going into a 30 mph bend at 80 mph. 

But no, blame it on your political opponents. It's the new American way... :rolleyes:

No you are right. People openly plotting to take out trains in the exact area this happened isn’t at all worth mentioning :rolleyes: 

Politics has nothing to do with me bringing this up. I’d think it was worth mentioning no matter what group was making terroristic threats to our railroad system 

Edited by preacherman76
  • Like 1

Just now, preacherman76 said:

No you are right. People openly plotting to take out trains in the exact area this happened isn’t at all worth mentioning :rolleyes: 

Not when the cause is already plain to say see, no. 

Just keep sowing discord every chance you get... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Setton said:

Not when the cause is already plain to say see, no. 

Just keep sowing discord every chance you get... 

They were using tracks they normally didn’t. Could have easily been a mistake. 

Good thing they were having a mass casualty drill in the area at the time. Like with damn near every major terror attack in America. 

2 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

They were using tracks they normally didn’t. Could have easily been a mistake. 

Good thing they were having a mass casualty drill in the area at the time. Like with damn near every major terror attack in America. 

Exactly. A mistake. But, no, you have to jump on to blaming some evil plot. 

Thanks for supporting my argument though. 

9 minutes ago, Setton said:

Exactly. A mistake. But, no, you have to jump on to blaming some evil plot. 

Thanks for supporting my argument though. 

First I didn't make an argument, I was just making mention of possible relevant information. I didn't blame anyone for anything.

And what I meant by mistake was, they could have been trying to derail a different train, like they openly claim they want to do, and didn't realize there was a passenger train riding on those tracks.