Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Navy pilot saw object 'not of this world'

UM-Bot

A visual range electronic image ( presumably what is labeled TV mode here ) can also have its dark and light values inverted. This makes a dark object appear very bright and a bright one very dark. This can be done to enhance the visibility of an object, under certain circumstances. 

Edited by bison
inserted spacing
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, stereologist said:

I posted a link to a FLIR video and specified the time to examine the video at which jets are seen and look the same as in the video showing the distant jets that have been called UFOs.

What is the issue? I didn't bother to watch the video posted by Area201 because no reason was given to watch the video.

The issue is you're asking why people are saying there's no exhaust. 

I'm just explaining to you why that is.

Fravor actually states that he got close enough to see the thing with his eyes, and that there was no exhaust, no known method of propulsion, no wings. 

He said it was like a giant tic tac.

Now you can claim that he's completely full of ****, but you have two planes, four people who all felt this was something unexplainable. 

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 4

On 05/01/2018 at 9:33 AM, bison said:

A visual range electronic image ( presumably what is labeled TV mode here ) can easily have its dark and light values inverted. This makes a dark object appear very bright and a bright one very dark. This can be done to enhance the visibility of an object, under certain circumstances. 

Thanks Bison, I'm still new to cameras.., especially IR. I'm still confused about "True Value" mode.

It really has nothing to due with returning true values (255 = white).., more something like this?

TV mode: the user specifies a shutter speed, while the camera adjusts the aperture size to correctly expose the image. This mode is typically used to freeze high speed action with a fast shutter speed, or intentionally create some sense of movement and blur in an image, ie, by using a slow shutter speed. 

https://www.canon.com.au/explore/glossary/tv-mode

So its basically auto-exposure to help balance contrast when the images are inverted?

Edited by Fila

2 hours ago, Erno86 said:

"Tom DeLonge UFO - Story - Newest Developments in the Pentagon - 1-4-18"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMtI_ioMnJ4

Get ready people.

"I do know there is a whole more to come. This was just enough to pop the bubble..

"I am told that over the next month it's going to get real." - Grant's source

:o 

3 hours ago, Fila said:

Thanks Bison, I'm still new to cameras.., especially IR. I'm still confused about "True Value" mode.

It really has nothing to due with returning true values (255 = white).., more something like this?

TV mode: the user specifies a shutter speed, while the camera adjusts the aperture size to correctly expose the image. This mode is typically used to freeze high speed action with a fast shutter speed, or intentionally create some sense of movement and blur in an image, ie, by using a slow shutter speed. 

So its basically auto-exposure to help balance contrast when the images are inverted?

I'm not certain that Canon's 'TV mode' is the same as what the military means by the this term. Since it's an alternative to infrared imaging, I was thinking that it could simply mean that it acted like a normal visual range video camera, proving a natural light image, such as would be seen on a television monitor, though apparently a monochrome (black and white) one.   

Edited by bison
added needed apostrophe
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, bison said:

I cited the report because it supplied an account of what was being observed on the Princeton, via RADAR, regarding the UFO. It had been objected that there was no independent observation supporting Commander Fravor's story. This is that observation.

It was also claimed that the figures used to calculate the g forces endured by the object were baseless. The account from the Prineton supports a figure of 3600 miles per hour, the same figure used in the g force calculation.

It also supports Commander Fravor's report that the object accelerated from a velocity similar to his own, a few hundred miles per hour, to at least 3600 miles per hour, traveling a mile (or more) away from him in 1 second.    

Actually it states as other places have stated that there radar returns. Where is the figure of 3600? It does not appear in that report does it?

This is just a rehash of what has been reported unless I am missing something.

22 hours ago, Fila said:

Ok cool. Similar to programming and HTML. You gotta use 255, 255, 255 for white, and 0, 0, 0 is black.

Or in hex 255, FFFFFF is white, and 0, 000000 is black.

So white objects are hot in Infrared images.., but you are saying they inverted to image to make this opposite.

So it should really look like this before applying the LUT (invert?)

2yx3xmu.jpg

Compared to original images below...

262758m.jpg

Does this mean the Jets are white hot? Does 'TV' mode stand for True Value?

Remember that the value a sensor collects does not necessarily have a linear mapping to a color. Inverting an image can make an image easier for the human eye to understand. There are also other operations  being done n the image as explained in the link to the IR expert.

Inverting an image is a 0-neighborhood operation. That means that nothing about the other surrounding pixels is used to decide the color of the result. Other techniques take some portion of the image to make a decision. The result is based on a pixel and its neighbors. That was the source of the aura being discussed by the IR expert.

TV does not mean true value in t his system.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

The issue is you're asking why people are saying there's no exhaust. 

I'm just explaining to you why that is.

It's a red herring. There is exhaust as explained.

On 12/30/2017 at 3:19 AM, preacherman76 said:

Na I feel ya. I don’t have any idea if space aliens are visiting us. I just know there is a certain percentage of people who have actually seen things like flying saucers. What their origin is, I really couldn’t say. 

Advanced Extraterrestrials have reached the planet Earth in numbers and diversity.

Earth is a Hot Spot right now.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

Fravor actually states that he got close enough to see the thing with his eyes, and that there was no exhaust, no known method of propulsion, no wings. 

He said it was like a giant tic tac.

Now you can claim that he's completely full of ****, but you have two planes, four people who all felt this was something unexplainable. 

There were two planes and 4 people initially. We have one person so far making the claims. The FLIR shows exhaust. It shows the hot area.

18 minutes ago, CeresExpo2000 said:

Advanced Extraterrestrials have reached the planet Earth in numbers and diversity.

Suspicious.gif

20 hours ago, Fila said:

Don't confuse systems. Names for features on a camera made by Canon or Nikon or Minolta may not be the same for military hardware.

24 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Actually it states as other places have stated that there radar returns. Where is the figure of 3600? It does not appear in that report does it?

This is just a rehash of what has been reported unless I am missing something.

The radar returns from the Princeton constitute specific, independent confirmation of Commander Fravor's account.  

The Princeton's RADAR tracked the object for 60 miles, over the course of one minute. 60 miles per minute, times 60 minutes in an hour  equals 3600 miles per hour. 

1 minute ago, bison said:

The radar returns from the Princeton constitute specific, independent confirmation of Commander Fravor's account.  

The Princeton's RADAR tracked the object for 60 miles, over the course of one minute. 60 miles per minute, times 60 minutes in an hour  equals 3600 miles per hour. 

Actually it does not state they tracked the object over 60 miles in one minute. It states they had radar returns that were well separated. If you think otherwise then please quote the report.

On 05/01/2018 at 1:54 PM, bison said:

I'm not certain that Canon's 'TV mode' is the same as what the military means by the this term. Since it's an alternative to infrared imaging, I was thinking that it could simply mean that it acted like a normal visual range video camera, proving a natural light image, such as would be seen on a television monitor, though apparently a monochrome (black and white) one.   

Thank you for the information Bison. That makes sense actually

On 06/01/2018 at 7:11 AM, stereologist said:

Don't confuse systems. Names for features on a camera made by Canon or Nikon or Minolta may not be the same for military hardware.

Thank you Stereo. Yea, I hate jumping to conclusions. That's why I figured I'd ask first. It just saves me time researching if some can answer it quicker. I'll hunt around today and see if I can find an answer for us.

Edited by Fila
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stereologist said:

Actually it does not state they tracked the object over 60 miles in one minute. It states they had radar returns that were well separated. If you think otherwise then please quote the report.

To quote from the report-- 'The two fighter jets then conferred with the operations officer on the Princeton and were told to head for a rendezvous point sixty miles away called the cap point. ...  They were en route and closing in when the Princeton radioed again. Radar had again picked up the strange aircraft " Sir you won't believe it" the radio operator said " but that thing is at your cap point" ...

"In less than a minute this thing was already at our cap point"  Commander Fravor said'.

I dont suppose that a Navy radar operator would report that two radar returns 60 miles apart were the same object, without solid grounds  for saying so. If I recall correctly, the radar swept at a  rate of 15 seconds, around the horizon. There should have been three returns between the ones at the start and the end of the one minute period. The fact that these intermediate returns were not specifically mentioned does not strike me as unusual. This was a ready account of what happened, not a technical report containing every possible bit of information.    

Edited by bison
corrected misspelling

26 minutes ago, bison said:

To quote from the report-- 'The two fighter jets then conferred with the operations officer on the Princeton and were told to head for a rendezvous point sixty miles away called the cap point. ...  They were en route and closing in when the Princeton radioed again. Radar had again picked up the strange aircraft " Sir you won't believe it" the radio operator said " but that thing is at your cap point" ...

"In less than a minute this thing was already at our cap point"  Commander Fravor said'.

I dont suppose that a Navy radar operator would report that two radar returns 60 miles apart were the same object, without solid grounds  for saying so. If I recall correctly, the radar swept at a  rate of 15 seconds, around the horizon. There should have been three returns between the ones at the start and the end of the one minute period. The fact that these intermediate returns were not specifically mentioned does not strike me as unusual. This was a ready account of what happened, not a technical report containing every possible bit of information.    

Thanks for agreeing that the object was NOT tracked. There were two independent radar returns that have been decided were the same object. There was no tracking of the object. Later on we have Fravor also deciding that there was one object. I think that the missing returns you refer to as evidence that the returns were from two separate objects.

3 hours ago, CeresExpo2000 said:

How did you come across this information? 

I don’t want to pick on you CE, or to sound mean, but it’s comments like this that make us UFO believers sound crazy. 

• Like 1

I did not agree that it wasn't tracked. I think it very probably was. It is anticipated that an object will move between the quite normal intervals  between  sweeps of a radar beam, even where our own aircraft are concerned. The progress  from point A to Point B is very reasonably inferred, not observed directly.  

If this were not a reasonable thing to do, something  as mundane as air traffic control would not be possible. I await the promised technical reports to make it clear just what was observed on the Princeton's radar that made it possible to infer that the object had moved 60 miles in the course of a minute. The intermediate radar returns seem the likeliest basis for this determination.   

9 hours ago, CeresExpo2000 said:

And you know this how?

• Like 1

It is patently clear that the objects far apart were not the same object and that the radar showed objects which falsely been inferred to be the same object.

There was no tracking across the 60 miles. All there is is a radar report of apparently sporadic returns over a great distance. The comments in the report suggest that the radar operator on the ship is telling the plane looking to make contact that objects are all over the place. There is no sudden acceleration or high speed. There was none in the supplied videos either.

All of the math is based on the mistaken idea that the same object is involved.

Edited by stereologist
fixed spelling
  • Like 2

Commander Fravor reports that he observed sudden acceleration and (very) high speed by the UFO. If neither of these occurred, that would make him appear either a liar, or grossly incompetent.  I doubt very much that he is either.

One is reminded of a remark attributed to Thomas Jefferson, to the effect that he would sooner believe that a couple of astronomers lied, than that rocks could fall from the sky. The astronomers had observed a fall of meteorites, which were not widely believed to exist at that time in history.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, bison said:

Commander Fravor reports that he observed sudden acceleration and (very) high speed by the UFO. If neither of these occurred, that would make him appear either a liar, or grossly incompetent.  I doubt very much that he is either.

One is reminded of a remark attributed to Thomas Jefferson, to the effect that he would sooner believe that a couple of astronomers lied, than that rocks could fall from the sky. The astronomers had observed a fall of meteorites, which were not widely believed to exist at that time in history.  

Love the false dichotomy. It might mean he was mistaken. It might mean that his observations are unrelated to the radar returns. It might mean a lot of things. Did his comments come from his own vision or was it from instrumentation? Was is idea based on what he saw or what he heard over the radio?

All we have is really nothing to go on other than a story with no supporting evidence.

• Like 1