Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Longest-frozen embryo born after 24 years

Still Waters

A baby has been born from an embryo frozen for nearly 25 years - possibly the longest gap between conception and birth since IVF began.

The embryo was donated by a family in the US and has become the first child for a woman who would herself have been only one when the baby was conceived.

The donated embryo that would become Emma Wren Gibson, a healthy baby girl, was thawed in March and transferred to mum Tina Gibson's uterus.

Emma was born in November.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42420864

• Like 3

So, are we freezing embryos of species that are in danger of extinction?

Something creepy to me about too much time delay with humans. No reason why a few million years from now when humans have much further evolved they couldn't develop an embryo from today that would be at an inferior level of development? Kind of like us bringing back a Homo Erectus.

Obviously humans haven't changed much in 24 years, but it makes me wonder.

• Like 1

Well, this should be interesting to see how she grows up. 'Snow babies' reminds me of the term 'Moon children' though...

• Like 1

Now ... if we can only isolate some surrogate wombs on Proxima Centauri ...

~

14 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Now ... if we can only isolate some surrogate wombs on Proxima Centauri ...

~

Why not develop artificial wombs? 

• Like 3

Just now, XenoFish said:

Why not develop artificial wombs? 

What's the fun in that ?

~

• Like 5

Some of me thinks it’s great for other families to produce children from others embryos. The majority of me, and more feels that I could never do something like that. I could never see myself having a child that isn’t from my DNA. I think when you create a child it should be genetically made up of you and your partner , not Mrs. Jones or whomever. Again, I think it’s great that people donate their eggs to those who are less fortunate and truly want kids but I however just wouldn’t ever feel like it’s mine. Sure, raising the child would be mine , but I would never be able to say ... ya he is that social butterfly or has that witt about him just like his Dad..

how many people here have heard “oh you remind me so much of your mom or dad” ( either via looks or personality or traits) ... that wouldn’t happen in adoption . Maybe if you raise the child to be that way, but “naturally” it wouldn’t be the same.”

May be to deep as a reply, but it’s just the way I see the situation .

• Like 1

On 12/20/2017 at 1:03 PM, papageorge1 said:

So, are we freezing embryos of species that are in danger of extinction?

Something creepy to me about too much time delay with humans. No reason why a few million years from now when humans have much further evolved they couldn't develop an embryo from today that would be at an inferior level of development? Kind of like us bringing back a Homo Erectus.

Obviously humans haven't changed much in 24 years, but it makes me wonder.

Lol, it’s like aging a wine ... if you age it to long it will spoil..  can’t keep anything in the freezer to long or there will be issues .

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Brok said:

So they basically put an unborn baby in suspended animation for 24 years? That sounds kinda messed up to me TBH.

It might come as a shock but embryos used in IVF are usually stored cryogenically.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2017 at 2:47 PM, third_eye said:

What's the fun in that ?

~

Artificially inseminating them? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, I'mConvinced said:

Artificially inseminating them? 

You  do it your way and I'll do it My Way ...

~

• Like 2