Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Apple admits to throttling performance

F3SS

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-battery-throttling-gives-customers-reason-to-distrust-2017-12

This ticks me off to no end. I’ve always suspected they did this. It seems at around two years iPhones begin to go awry. That’s in my experience and many others I know. Apple says they’ve only been doing this for a year and I’m not buying that. Then they said the reason they do it is out of altruism.  They don’t want your older models to shut down on you. What? I get that maybe by now an iPhone 4 isn’t going to handle many new apps well but there is no reason it shouldn’t run at full performance for basic things and older apps. Whatever.

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 9

The just wanna you to bask in the glory of the 'X'

Also the execs wanna a new shiny sports car

~

• Like 4

Never been an Apple fan. Probably never will. I just don't like the whole ''walled garden'' approach.

Linux and some Microsoft does it for me.

• Like 3

Nothing beats the smoothness and intuitiveness of a proper iPhone. When they work they work flawlessly but the company injects flaws into them throughout time. That ain’t right. Suspicion is one thing. Confirmation is a whole other thing.

• Like 5

After their class action law suit some years back and the settlement they had to dole out regarding the deleting of customer's songs from their hard drives that were unrecognized by the itunes libraries, this is just par for the course.

I lost several thousand songs that were private tracks gifted to me by dj's in that little play of theirs... (yoda voice) never another apple product will i purchase in this lifetime).  propietary weakness and greed in the extreme.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, quiXilver said:

I lost several thousand songs that were private tracks gifted to me by dj's in that little play of theirs... (yoda voice) never another apple product will i purchase in this lifetime).  propietary weakness and greed in the extreme.

I would have, in a word gone ... 'berserk'

Seriously ...

~

• Like 1

23 hours ago, third_eye said:

I would have, in a word gone ... 'berserk'

Seriously ...

~

Music is exceedingly important to me, so I lost my damn mind over it when I found out it was a deliberate move by Apple and not a hard drive malfunction. 

Many of the tracks deleted were private sessions gifted me over the years by international dj friends and aquaintences such as Tenaglia, Sasha, Digweed, not to mention dozens of lesser known but equally talented blokes and gals... so of course they didn't show on any domain lists as being commercially licensed and Apple deleted all of these at one point in their conquest of the old Napster download issues.  Filthy pricks. 

I lost thousands that hadn't been backed up.   Now I have triple redundancy on all my stuff, but many of those tracks are forever gone, impossible to replace.  

Bit of a lesson in releasing attachment for which I'm appreciative, but apple can forever suck an egg in my world.  Not a penny more from me, ever.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, quiXilver said:

Bit of a lesson in releasing attachment for which I'm appreciative, but apple can forever suck an egg in my world.

I hear ya ... I got my face cluck back when DTP was making inroads into studios everywhere. Macs will make you more creative and artistic they claimed, Photoshop and Illustrator became a war ground for who has the most filters, plugins and clip art ... a lot of people bought into it while I went the PC and CorelDraw ® route. Then they stomped onto my playing ground and started making formats a nightmare to negotiate, Adobe got mangled, Corel Corp became Corel Holdings and everyone just said good riddance ...

~

• Like 1

I was always an Apple fan, dating back to my early career as a graphic designer. These days? Not so much...

This latest news, along with the kind of stunts quiXilver outlined, added to the crap they pull with non-standard headphone jacks, forcing customers to buy their own products for simple things such as display through an HDMI cable - as they restrict content playback via the OS - all adds up to me never trusting the brand again :td:

• Like 8

2 hours ago, third_eye said:

Corel Corp became Corel Holdings and everyone just said good riddance ...

Not completely good riddance... I was using CorelDraw just a few hours ago! :lol:

• Like 1

Never liked Apple Products - never thought I would like android - but quite happy with android phone and windows on pc. Son and daughter both were big Apple phone fans - one has changed never to go back - other can't wait for contract to end - having seen the 'light'.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

Not completely good riddance... I was using CorelDraw just a few hours ago! :lol:

I gave up on them after Version 9 if I remembered correctly ... I think they tried to do a better apple 'plan' than apple with their suite and bells and rings with Corel 10 and those 'X' and on and on ...

I don't do much DTP anymore, if I need a logo or just some vector based slap dash I use Inkscape ... if pixel Images I go with Gimp ... I get the job done and that's all that matters ... just a sign board, business cards and booklets and brochures now and then.

~

• Like 1

Oh - forgot to say IMO, the best bit of the iPhone, was the 'i' before the phone. I think that alone got it millions of devotees - and no I don't have stats to prove it. its an opinion.

• Like 1

I don't know how it goes everywhere else but as far as things go that is 'new' about the apple line here where I am, a lot of those big wigs and 'celebrities' if not all gets theirs free and with 'compliments' ... guess who pays for 'em ?

~

• Like 1

I read that...Apple admits to trolling...

• Like 1

On 20/12/2017 at 11:51 PM, F3SS said:

Nothing beats the smoothness and intuitiveness of a proper iPhone. When they work they work flawlessly but the company injects flaws into them throughout time. That ain’t right. Suspicion is one thing. Confirmation is a whole other thing.

Yeah it works pretty wells when you use their products, their ''approved apps''. But when you decide to venture out of the 'walled garden' of Apple that's where trouble starts to happen.

Edited by TruthSeeker_
  • Like 5

On 23/12/2017 at 3:48 AM, RAyMO said:

Never liked Apple Products - never thought I would like android - but quite happy with android phone and windows on pc. Son and daughter both were big Apple phone fans - one has changed never to go back - other can't wait for contract to end - having seen the 'light'.

Google's tight grip on Android is annoying too, but at least you can bypass it (android's code is open-source) and you get more liberty.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TruthSeeker_ said:

Google's tight grip on Android is annoying too

Totally agree and the information they gather about users has undertones also.

In fact I was thinking of nominating Google in another thread as a potential anti-christ.

ETA - If being a member of UM has taught me anything - it is that I hold potentially self contradictory views on a whole host of stuff.

Edited by RAyMO
  • Like 2

On 12/21/2017 at 5:15 AM, F3SS said:

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-battery-throttling-gives-customers-reason-to-distrust-2017-12

This ticks me off to no end. I’ve always suspected they did this. It seems at around two years iPhones begin to go awry. That’s in my experience and many others I know. Apple says they’ve only been doing this for a year and I’m not buying that. Then they said the reason they do it is out of altruism.  They don’t want your older models to shut down on you. What? I get that maybe by now an iPhone 4 isn’t going to handle many new apps well but there is no reason it shouldn’t run at full performance for basic things and older apps. Whatever.

Not so long ago mobile phones would last for years without us having a need to change them. As I was working in that industry for 12 years ( both for GSM operators and for private companies and service centers ) i followed the changes in the market since Siemens M55 ( and 'awesome' attachable 0.1 Mpx camera ) up until recently and I've lost the interest, partly because of what you said here :)

Most easier way to explain that is by looking to hardware, especially in the phones released after SoC ( system on chip ) was adopted fully - when it became almost perfect, technically. 

In last few years there were not major changes in web design ( at least i believe so ) and since it's performance is essential for majority of customers - I've realized that the industry does not rely on optimizations anymore nor on faster hardware because even older dual core CPU mobiles are more than enough to have perfect performance for daily use. This can easily be proven by simply taking older mobile like very solid and fast Samsung i9100 or S2.

By installing custom optimized OS ( or ROM - XDA developers forum did popularize it to the large extent ) that phone gets kinda injected with steroids and it's performance is mostly on par with more modern devices, outperforms them in many aspects too.

What can be concluded from this, based on custom firmware's, customized kernels and good optimizations?

It's pretty simple for me - since hardware is more than capable there is only one thing on which to point the finger - the software. Constant updates are available for every brand especially on largest market holders like Apple or Samsung and many times did those updates destroyed the performance.

Majority of the people simply gets new device and rarely did they ( from my experience ) try to fix problems, especially with contracts from operators with which we get new device for ( seemingly ) low amount of money.

This might be wrong, if we would assume that companies and manufacturers are honest and care for customers instead of profits and this is consumption market which is based on more and more sales with new models replacing older editions in less than a year. Hence the throttling which is, seriously, evident everywhere in mobile phones industry.

For older devices with CPU based graphic processing or with weaker GPU's problem with performance in the apps can be made even by updating it's interface to include more eye candies which, in turn, make troubles for mentioned older parts which either do not have ability to process such data effectively and they start to struggle. Actually, it's pretty easy to make such apps and make problems for every phone on the market.

Generally, subliminal message to consumers is like that from the movie '' They live! '' it was something like '' consume more and more and more and do not ask questions '' :D 

Sorry for longer post and I've managed to stop here, i could write about these things for days lol

• Like 3

no more google for me.

duckduckgo, until I find their undesirable underbelly

On 12/20/2017 at 11:15 PM, F3SS said:

Solution: Design iPhones where you can quickly and easily change out the battery and replace it!!!!

• 4 months later...

Throttled phone > Randomly shutting off phone
I don't get why people gotta jump on Apple for this, if you've owned older phones that have degraded batteries, you know very well that random shut offs at 25% are annoying - and unreliable (e.g. you need to make a call/use maps but your phone dies unexpectedly).

On ‎21‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 4:15 AM, F3SS said:

Bearing in mind they didnt tell users and ask them if they want to throttle down then I call them out too on their BS.

• Like 1

No matter the make, there will be slowing down of older models.  As I tell my customers when they come in asking why their battery doesn't last...no matter the OS, the newer versions of smart phone have more and faster processors/chips.  All the OS will be geared to run quickly (and supposedly more efficiently) on the newer processors.  When you gave dual processors trying to run an OS that is designed for the octa core or even the quad core, you are going to see the battery being drained faster.  But, that being said, I have customers who come in with SG2s and SG Discovers that are still working.  How many old iphones are able to fo the same?