Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Slender Man stabbing: girl gets 25 years

UM-Bot

4 hours ago, Merc14 said:

When people ask why I think it is so important to counter things liek Slenderman or Bigfoot and preach rational thinking I'll point back to this horrible event as an example.  

You wouldn't believe the trouble a Jersey Devil hunter can get into.......

• Like 6

Merc I am sorry but disagree. Kids have imaginary friends, people believe that noise they heard in the shed is a ghost or the noise in the water is a lake monster. None of that elevates to attempted murder. These girls have much deeper problems then believing in bigfoot.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, gertdogg said:

Merc I am sorry but disagree. Kids have imaginary friends, people believe that noise they heard in the shed is a ghost or the noise in the water is a lake monster. None of that elevates to attempted murder. These girls have much deeper problems then believing in bigfoot.

Agreed and thanks, I have under-thought the event and you rightfully, and politely, called me on it.   Obviously there are far bigger problems with these kids than what I suggested.  I should have thought this through a little more before commenting   :tu:

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 7

Kids should not be allowed on the internet until at least 17 or 18 years old and even then, it's questionable whether or not they are mature enough to handle the world outside of their parents house. Parents do need to start being better parents as well, computers and tv are not baby sitters nor do they teach children values.

Edited by Sooth Sayer
Grammer
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Sooth Sayer said:

Kids should not be allowed on the internet until at least 17 or 18 years old and even then, it's questionable whether or not they are mature enough to handle the world outside of their parents house. Parents do need to start being better parents as well, computers and tv are not baby sitters nor do they teach children values.

That is no longer possible as much of their homework, at a fairly young age, is on-line.   Monitoring what they do, yes, but forbidding computers until 17-18 is actually crippling their future development.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

That is no longer possible as much of their homework, at a fairly young age, is on-line.   Monitoring what they do, yes, but forbidding computers until 17-18 is actually crippling their future development.

The way it's looking is these past 10 years we now have college kids that grew up on the internet and they can't handle reality, difference of opinions, criticism, not getting everything their way so, you feel that that is the better option? I'm not trying to ruffle feathers but it looks like that route has produced a lot of undesirable results.

IMO, if children do not have the maturity nor the ability to understand the real world and how adults interact they probably shouldn't be exposed to it at an impressionable age. There's a reason why tobacco, alcohol, driving, R and X rated movies are denied to children. They don't understand. 

I agree parents need to be better parents because I said it previously but allowing access to everything in the world because of presumably for the sake of school, is not a very good reason. 

Adults have trouble dealing with unruly adults on the internet let alone children. 

Maybe I'm different. Kids killing kids because of what they see on the internet is worse than the claim that kids heard foul language in a song 30 years ago and didn't go out and kill others. At least not that I ever heard about. 

Just my thoughts. 

Edited by Sooth Sayer
Grammer
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sooth Sayer said:

The way it's looking is these past 10 years we now have college kids that grew up on the internet and they can't handle reality, difference of opinions, criticism, not getting everything their way so, you feel that that is the better option? I'm not trying to ruffle feathers but it looks like that route has produced a lot of undesirable results.

IMO, if children do not have the maturity nor the ability to understand the real world and how adults interact they probably shouldn't be exposed to it at an impressionable age. There's a reason why tobacco, alcohol, driving, R and X rated movies are denied to children. They don't understand. 

I agree parents need to be better parents because I said it previously but allowing access to everything in the world because of presumably for the sake of school, is not a very good reason. 

Adults have trouble dealing with unruly adults on the internet let alone children. 

Maybe I'm different. Kids killing kids because of what they see on the internet is worse than the claim that kids heard foul language in a song 30 years ago and didn't go out and kill others. At least not that I ever heard about. 

Just my thoughts. 

No worries, I understand your argument completely.   The other side of the story is that denying a child all the knowledge of the world at their fingertips because there are bad things there as well may not be the right answer either.  When my son asked what a Magnetar is I had no idea but we both got to watch a 15 minute lecture from a college professor on the subject. How valuable is that?   

Yes there are bad things out there but they will be there forever as will the Internet and denying access doesn't teach them to be discerning but does deny them a valuable resource.  Uncaring parents that do their job poorly leads to the horrors you mentioned, not the Internet.  The Internet may aid them in their delusions but parents that drug their kids to "calm them down" seem to be a far more important symptom of this plague than the Internet which billions use without hurting a soul.  Easy answers lead to poor solutions, think this through past the first level.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Merc14 said:

No worries, I understand your argument completely.   The other side of the story is that denying a child all the knowledge of the world at their fingertips because there are bad things there as well may not be the right answer either.  When my son asked what a Magnetar is I had no idea but we both got to watch a 15 minute lecture from a college professor on the subject. How valuable is that?   

Yes there are bad things out there but they will be there forever as will the Internet and denying access doesn't teach them to be discerning but does deny them a valuable resource.  Uncaring parents that do their job poorly leads to the horrors you mentioned, not the Internet.  The Internet may aid them in their delusions but parents that drug their kids to "calm them down" seem to be a far more important symptom of this plague than the Internet which billions use without hurting a soul.  Easy answers lead to poor solutions, think this through past the first level.

I agree and I have thought it through. I'm not calling for any ban on anything. I use the internet to learn about subject I missed out on in school. It would be nice if more parents cared more to do a better job of parenting. 

Some kids will always find a way I agree. Movies with adult ratings didn't stop every kid in my neighborhood from seeing an R rated movie but, we knew if our parents found out we'd catch hell. Today's kids (not all) don't fear consequences because they've never had to face the music before. 

It's a sad sad situation. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Sooth Sayer said:

As Merc has pointed out...it is not possible.

What is possible is for these sites promoting things like slenderman and hatman should clearly state it is fiction.

We see it on here all the time, someone watches something on youtube or have read a blog and they have no idea how to research its origin and believe without a doubt it is real.

But there are many growing up on internet watch who believe cyber world is  their reality.  This is where the danger lies.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Sooth Sayer said:

I agree and I have thought it through. I'm not calling for any ban on anything. I use the internet to learn about subject I missed out on in school. It would be nice if more parents cared more to do a better job of parenting. 

Some kids will always find a way I agree. Movies with adult ratings didn't stop every kid in my neighborhood from seeing an R rated movie but, we knew if our parents found out we'd catch hell. Today's kids (not all) don't fear consequences because they've never had to face the music before. 

It's a sad sad situation. 

Isn't it always a sad situation when the old generation considers the new?  

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

But there are many growing up on internet watch who believe cyber world is  their reality.  This is where the danger lies.

That was basically was I was trying to say. Children aren't able to handle a lot of what's on the internet. The lines of reality blur for them. 

I grew up in generation that called out bs stories. If it sounded like it was far fetched we would say so and dismiss it. Now there's a new "old joke" of it must be true, I seen it, read it, watched it on the internet. 

Now my age group laughs it off.

I really don't like the idea of a rating system but it would be nice if people posting exaggerated stories would just say hey this isn't true but again, that's another can of worms.

Maybe schools need parenting classes. Do they have those or not? I've been out of school for 30 years.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Merc14 said:

Isn't it always a sad situation when the old generation considers the new?  

It has a name, it's called Juvenoia:

It's a natural part of the evolutionary process but logically fallacious in the modern, super fast changing environment. 

• Like 2

Uau. 25 years for a little girl? No doubt that was a terrible crime, but what is the point of locking up a teenager in an institution for most of her life. She will be 40 bt the time the sentence ends. What kind of a life will she have going from teenager to 40 year old with no resl life in between?

• Like 1

On 12/22/2017 at 6:23 PM, Piney said:

You wouldn't believe the trouble a Jersey Devil hunter can get into.......

I most definitely could believe it. xD Man, I just listened to a podcast on the Jersey Devil.

On 12/22/2017 at 10:51 PM, Sooth Sayer said:

That was basically was I was trying to say. Children aren't able to handle a lot of what's on the internet. The lines of reality blur for them. 

I grew up in generation that called out bs stories. If it sounded like it was far fetched we would say so and dismiss it. Now there's a new "old joke" of it must be true, I seen it, read it, watched it on the internet. 

Now my age group laughs it off.

I really don't like the idea of a rating system but it would be nice if people posting exaggerated stories would just say hey this isn't true but again, that's another can of worms.

Maybe schools need parenting classes. Do they have those or not? I've been out of school for 30 years.

They used to have classes that taught things like that. They were phasing them out when I was in high school, though. That was almost ten years ago now.... wow. Thanks for making me feel old!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, The Ghastly Grimoire said:

I most definitely could believe it. xD Man, I just listened to a podcast on the Jersey Devil.

It started it's existence as a parody written by Ben Franklin with a groin shot to Daniel Leeds. Similar to how the Slender Man started.

• Like 1

My roomates 9-year old grandson believed Slenderman was real for some odd reason.

We talked to him and he's over it now.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, pallidin said:

My roomates 9-year old grandson believed Slenderman was real for some odd reason.

We talked to him and he's over it now.

He is 9, I can't explain 24 year olds with so called college educations.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

This was a horrible crime, but still, I was dismayed when I read about the 25 years in a mental institution. I sincerely hope her lawyer can get her into a minimum-security prison. Here’s a graphic description from a clinical psychologist:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/insight-therapy/201503/visit-the-psychiatric-hospital-made-me-sick

1 minute ago, simplybill said:

This was a horrible crime, but still, I was dismayed when I read about the 25 years in a mental institution. I sincerely hope her lawyer can get her into a minimum-security prison. Here’s a graphic description from a clinical psychologist:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/insight-therapy/201503/visit-the-psychiatric-hospital-made-me-sick

Yes, we must let her out as soon as possible, after all she only stabbed the 12 year old girl 19 times.  Just a small issue there. Hey, maybe you can foster her when she is released in 3 years!  Enjoy.  :rolleyes:

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, simplybill said:

Why are you dismayed?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

Yes, we must let her out as soon as possible, after all she only stabbed the 12 year old girl 19 times.  Just a small issue there. Hey, maybe you can foster her when she is released in 3 years!  Enjoy.  :rolleyes:

The statutory requirement for being incarcerated for "long term" is 25+ stabbing wounds.

Get it straight... :blink:

Edited by pallidin