Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lenape Epic?????? HUH???

Piney

The image above was originally painted by John White during the 2nd English voyage to America in 1585 and reporduced in an engraving by Theodor De Bry in 1590. Thomas Herriotreported that this image Kewas" was found in "homes or … temples." The word "Kewas" in Lenape means "Mother." A "Mother" in a temple is reminiscent of "Blessed Virgin Mary; Mother of Jesus." The Catholics in France had the Virgin Mary in every church. The Catholics in America may have had the "Mother of Jesus" in every temple.

k'aahes means "Your mother", N'aahes means "My mother".     Kii- "You"   Mii-"I"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Piney said:

That praying to the "Great Spirit" nonsense is Pan-Indian and/or Newage White influenced stuff. I don't know where the "White" came into play. 

Being old enough to remember when westerns were popular movies, I can say that "Great Spirit" (God) and "Great White Father" (President of the US) were commonplaces in them, probably courtesy of scriptwriters born in New York City. I suspect "Great White Spirit" is a conflation of the two.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, PersonFromPorlock said:

Being old enough to remember when westerns were popular movies, I can say that "Great Spirit" (God) and "Great White Father" (President of the US) were commonplaces in them, probably courtesy of scriptwriters born in New York City. I suspect "Great White Spirit" is a conflation of the two.

I forgot about the "Great White Father" thing. My people called him "The Burner of Villages". :lol: My family, the Josephs went to the Grand River because we fought on the English side. 

Edited by Piney
typo
  • Like 1

On 12/24/2017 at 4:19 AM, Piney said:

The "Wolf People" were the Mohican and the Mohegan  ( two different tribes actually) They were Algonquian and DID NOT practice cannibalism. The Mohicans did wear wolf skins and howl like wolves going into battle.

Piney, is this also sometimes spelled Mahican and did they have their chief town near modern Albany at Shodac?  I knew the French called them Lupe, wolf but did not know why.

• Like 1

Where to begin, where to begin?

In 1360 an Icelandic Bishop, Oddsson, wrote:

"The inhabitants of Greenland of their own free will have abandoned the true faith ....and joined themselves with the folk of America."

Well that's interesting to know, considering Amerigo Vespucci wasn't even born until 1454.

A limestone-boulder wall — 100 feet long by 4 feet wide by 4 feet tall — is positioned in the middle of the woods and not likely the work of early farmers

...Unless of course it wasn't woods when the wall was built. Lot of old walls in overgrown former pasture around here.

oxides

Aha, I believe an important clue is hidden here. I submit they weren't mining copper, they were actually exporting marbles. (in much the same way the ancient Egyptians who ventured into Arizona almost certainly overshot their actual intended destination of Texas, no doubt following rumors of large quantities of aggies to be had there.)

studies so far have resulted in the article, "Alive With Spirits," published in Ancient American.

Oh well that clinches it then. I'm sure we can expect the final outcome of their investigations to be presented in an even more prestigious publication, like Atlantis Rising.

• Like 3

On 12/24/2017 at 6:00 AM, Piney said:

I'm still wading through this muck. It's so horrible it fried my autistic superpower to systemize.........

Those of us who studied Egyptology sympathize with your pain (and deeply appreciate your expertise)!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kenemet said:

By heaving the book into the nearest trash can?

Tossing a book in the trash can? That is totally unreasonable.

It should be placed in the outhouse where it can be used or recycled.

• Like 2

“Cormorant” is a Lenape word. To Lenape, “cormorant” meant “thieves” anywhere in  North America.

Pardon?.... *grabbing my Petit Larouse Illustré 2006*

Cormoran n.m. (anc. fr. corp, corbeau, et marenc, marin). Oiseau palmipède au long bec effilé, au plumage [généralement] sombre, excellent plongueur, répandu sur les côtes. ([longeur] 60 à 80 cm ; genre phalacrocorax, ordre des pélicaniformes.)

So, according to French dictionaries, cormoran would be from would be from Old French corp, raven, and marenc, marine. Cormoran would be a corp marenc, a marine raven. It is the same root as corbeau (raven) and corneille (crow), which were corvus and cornicula in Latin. There's no final "t" in French, I guess English speaker expected a silent "t", but this is not a verb in participe présent form.

The map they used intrigued me so I try to find a bigger one. Here:

Pugs23.jpg

"Les Christinaux ou Kilistinons", sound less Christian on the second version, so probably a attempt by the French to find a more familiar prononciation for a foreign name.

I must admit I wasted way too much time reading this map, so many interesting details all over. B)

Edited by Gingitsune
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, Gingitsune said:

Pardon?.... *grabbing my Petit Larouse Illustré 2006*

Cormoran n.m. (anc. fr. corp, corbeau, et marenc, marin). Oiseau palmipède au long bec effilé, au plumage [généralement] sombre, excellent plongueur, répandu sur les côtes. ([longeur] 60 à 80 cm ; genre phalacrocorax, ordre des pélicaniformes.)

So, according to French dictionaries, cormoran would be from would be from Old French corp, raven, and marenc, marine. Cormoran would be a corp marenc, a marine raven. It is the same root as corbeau (raven) and corneille (crow), which were corvus and cornicula in Latin. There's no final "t" in French, I guess English speaker expected a silent "t", but this is not a verb in participe présent form.

The map they used intrigued me so I try to find a bigger one. Here:

Pugs23.jpg

"Les Christinaux ou Kilistinons", sound less Christian on the second version, so probably a attempt by the French to find a more familiar prononciation for a foreign name.

I must admit I wasted way too much time reading this map, so many interesting details all over. B)

Hi Gingitsune,

The name Christinaux is generally associated with the Cree, an Algonquian speaking group rather closely tied to the Anishinabe (Ojibwe). The utilization of the name over the broad geographic area results from the Fur Trade era confusion in regards to the highly mobile Gens des Terres groups. A complex topic in itself. Christinaux itself would appear to be a modified Anishinabe appellation relating to the dialectic distinction between Anishinabemowin and the dialect of the Cree.

• Like 3

Thanks for the clarification, Swede! I'm not too used to the old names, let alone who they match with today's nations. The Christinaux' land on the map sure look like today's Cree territory in Quebec and Ontario.

Edited by Gingitsune
  • Like 1

Lol at how they spelled hypothesis. 

You know everything after that is gonna be hilarious. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Oniomancer said:

Aha, I believe an important clue is hidden here. I submit they weren't mining copper, they were actually exporting marbles. (in much the same way the ancient Egyptians who ventured into Arizona almost certainly overshot their actual intended destination of Texas, no doubt following rumors of large quantities of aggies to be had there.)

I saw what you did there!

At the University of Texas, they've been trying to neuter and control the Aggies for years.  So far, no luck.  But that doesn't stop 'em.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

I saw what you did there!

At the University of Texas, they've been trying to neuter and control the Aggies for years.  So far, no luck.  But that doesn't stop 'em.

I used to live in Texas and remember those Aggies. But they're not capable of reproducing anyway, are they?

4 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

I used to live in Texas and remember those Aggies. But they're not capable of reproducing anyway, are they?

Oh gosh, they're just the dickens.  You can't hardly move for tripping over them sometimes!

• Like 2

On 12/26/2017 at 5:28 PM, Gingitsune said:

“Cormorant” is a Lenape word. To Lenape, “cormorant” meant “thieves” anywhere in  North America.

Sheshiikwiitaas.... Missed that....I got frustrated and stepped away from this trainwreck.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Piney said:

Sheshiikwiitaas.... Missed that....I got frustrated and stepped away from this trainwreck.

I only skimmed the text too, but that one jumped in my face, so I could let this aberration be.

• Like 2