Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New material could change warfare forever

UM-Bot

I just hope that it won't mean more troubles for the people in Congo and elsewhere in southern and central parts of African continent...

• Like 1

Too expensive to be a factor any time in the near future.  

A material with such beneficial military applications will likely be subsidized to start production, even if its not cost effective now. 

That just means that the mugger will need to shoot you in the face in case you try to do anything rather than in the shoulder because that will be bulletproof

I wonder what the impact/penetration characteristics would be if this material were fashioned as a projectile (with added weight, of course)

The subject will still feel like they were hit with a sledge hammer (I would think)... That is a lot of energy to absorb.  Not sure about changing warfare forever. Won't the bad guys get it also? Wonder how this would protect or minimize the damage of an IED? Put on the outside of vehicles?

• Like 4

what a waste of money and time! maybe used this resources to work on space travel? fix health issues, fix hunger not build stupid warfare crap

It almost sounds like the stuff they allegedly found at Roswell. I wonder if it returns back to it's original form after it's crushed?

• Like 1

Probably just means it�ll take longer if you use it to cook the turkey, thus making more money for the energy companies.

39 minutes ago, geraldnewfie said:

what a waste of money and time! maybe used this resources to work on space travel? fix health issues, fix hunger not build stupid warfare crap

Problem is, other people will do it if we don't, and could lead to a military imbalance.

Sad, I know, but just what we have to keep on top of.

the stronger the armour..... the stronger and more deadly the new weapons will be...

• Like 4

18 hours ago, geraldnewfie said:

Military applications are why we have most of our current technology. 

This material definitely sounds like it has aerospace applications. It will depend on its ability to withstand environmental extremes. Lighter weight stronger craft would be a huge help in reaching the upper atmosphere and beyond. Once in space it doesn't matter but getting there weight is a real problem. Imagine every ISS resupply flight carrying some quantity of hex panels to allow expansion of the ISS itself. Lots of potential uses should it prove resilient and stable in extreme temps. 

As for protective gear it could be used for rip proof space suits. Provided it proves more capable than current materials. As far as stopping bullets and shrapnel you would still need impact padding to avoid blunt force trauma but lighter is always better when talking body armor. Provided it is as effective of course.

Also potential uses in mobile robotics for terrestrial uses and space exploration.

There are also prosthetics, body support exoskeletons, potentially internal surgical bone reinforcement. All depends on if it beats current materials in weight, strength, durability, toxicity... 

Extreme materials in development are always astronomically expensive until infrastructure is put in place. R&D requires time and resources but doesn't reflect what a material actually costs to manufacture. That could be 2$ or 20k$ we will just have to wait and see. Graphene is already being used in developing new battery tech so I am betting it wont be priced out of range. 

• Like 3

A material is only "bullet proof" for a short amount of time until a bigger faster better penetrating bullet comes along.  I wager projectile technology is faster to develop than protection technology.

On 12/27/2017 at 0:00 AM, and then said:

Too expensive to be a factor any time in the near future.  

i agree it would be expensive. but that also has an upside. the more expensive, the harder it will be for the bad guy's to get a hold of. 

• Like 1

At the velocities required for interstellar travel, 10% C or greater, an impact with even the smallest of objects could prove catastrophic. A light sail made of this stuff could provide both the propulsive capability and provide impact protection for the instrument package.  Manned vehicles using diamene as a structural material could be made far lighter, allowing low thrust, high Isp engines to achieve high velocities in less time. This could prove to be a crucial development for space travel.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2017 at 3:26 PM, Wreck7 said:

It almost sounds like the stuff they allegedly found at Roswell. I wonder if it returns back to it's original form after it's crushed?

Since Roswell is a fairytale, it doesn’t really make sense. But just out of curiosity, which specifics are you thinking about? Because memory metal was proposed in 1932, some 15 years before Roswell. 

Cheers,

Badeskov