Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New Years Resolve

XenoFish

It's getting close to that time to set new years resolutions. So out of curiosity does anyone have one/some that they are going to attempt this coming year?

• Like 3

I tend to make the same resolution every year- to see January of the next year. I've been able to keep it for many years so far. Every year I resolve to try or do something new in the gardens, and I succeed pretty well there too. I tend not to make the more common breaking resolutions like working out or smoking or dieting or stuff like that.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, rashore said:

I tend to make the same resolution every year- to see January of the next year. I've been able to keep it for many years so far. Every year I resolve to try or do something new in the gardens, and I succeed pretty well there too. I tend not to make the more common breaking resolutions like working out or smoking or dieting or stuff like that.

I like the idea of adding one small thing to my life. Something subtle that is an easy addition. I've never succeed at big resolutions.

• Like 3

I don't really set any resolutions, other than try to be a better person, and that's an on-going process.   

• Like 3

Waking up on new years day in the afternoon -

without a hangover

In my own bed

And not saying " jeeze, did i really do that?"

So far after many years, i have not been able to achieve all three. Maybe this year..:lol:

• Like 4

I intend to not fall off the wagon with smoking or drinking. Doing well, so far. 

Other than that, I'll try to not die, I guess. 

• Like 4

remain silent... or say something better than silence.  (oh wait, damn, mucked it up already)

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I like the idea of adding one small thing to my life. Something subtle that is an easy addition. I've never succeed at big resolutions.

Me neither- that's why I don't bother making them. A lot of people make the breakables, then breaking them makes them feel like they suck, lost the resolve. Oh well, always next year. I don't fool with that nonsense.

But yeah, the something small, subtle, and easy is great- more important, apply it to something you already like doing or achieving. When you already want to do that resolution, makes it easier to keep and far more satisfying. For me it's my gardens. What happens in the current year influences the resolution. Some years are smaller, like trying a new plant or few- or trying a difficult plant again. Others are bigger, like this year was revamping and changing several beds. I also achieved the right planting combo to attract braconid wasps to deal with my tomato hornworms. 2018 is taking over the stable and stable yard out back that just got vacated to set up as my new gardening/harvest shed and secure/clean up the yard properly for the future large plot garden. And getting my potted fruit trees and bushes planted in. So long as I get my resolutions done, everything else is cheesecake :)

• Like 3

Ive got a couple renovations on house i need to tackle..also some interior paint. I just let a year slip by without doing any of it.I like the idea of setting goals for oneself if only these goals could be met !!  My resolution for the coming year is stop the procrastinating thing and just get on with it !  :)

Edited by khol
  • Like 2

"not dying" is always a good one.

and honestly during the worst years of my life when i was 100% certain i wouldn't live to be thirty that was my resolution. just to make it through the year, somehow. things are better in my life now.

i still don't make resolutions though. at least, not real ones.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, khol said:

Ive got a couple renovations on house i need to tackle..also some interior paint. I just let a year slip by without doing any of it.I like the idea of setting goals for oneself if only these goals could be met !!  My resolution for the coming year is stop the procrastinating thing and just get on with it !  :)

I've been making a list each year of what I'd like to get done at the cabin. This year it was 8 things. Only got 4 done, but that's 4 off my list. None of those goals were set in stone, because I knew that I might not be able to achieve any of them. Gotta do the same thing again here soon. I think the only personal goal I might attempt to make is getting on a daily schedule, with just enough wiggle room for murphy's law.

• Like 1

Its hard when your working full time as well.I dont have a super easy job. Alot of my days off are resting and getting ready for next shift!

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, khol said:

Its hard when your working full time as well.I dont have a super easy job. Alot of my days off are resting and getting ready for next shift!

Sounds like me. I'm either too tired to do anything or I'm working 7 days a week.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Sounds like me. I'm either too tired to do anything or I'm working 7 days a week.

Its a grind out there for sure.I'll buy a lotto ticket once in awhile. Helps keep the dream alive for a couple days before draw..:blink:   it helps!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, khol said:

Its a grind out there for sure.I'll buy a lotto ticket once in awhile. Helps keep the dream alive for a couple days before draw..:blink:   it helps!

Who knows. You might have that one bad day and then have a hell of a good day after. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 1