Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Beach bystanders criticised in drowning

Still Waters

Two Australian surfers who tried to rescue a man from drowning on Christmas Day have angrily accused others of not helping their efforts.

Indian student Ravneet Singh Gill, 22, and seven friends were pulled out to sea by a strong current at Flag Staff or Duranbah Beach in New South Wales.

Lifeguards rescued the group but could not revive Mr Singh Gill.

Dean and Shaun Harrington, who said they assisted in the rescue, accused others of "standing around watching".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-42489758

• Like 3

That,s the generation today...Stand around and watch, and record. This is the future, and present day. Wonderful, isn't it.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

The best thing the average person can do in such a situation is alerting the life guards and let them do their job.

Yes, don't grab floating devices,surf boards, etc. that are all over the beach and try to help. Don't string together holding hands to reach the person and get them in. Don't try anything, it is not your problem. But, if it is you child, brother, sister, mom, dad......Just stand and watch others die. Sleep well.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sakari said:

Yes, don't grab floating devices,surf boards, etc. that are all over the beach and try to help. Don't string together holding hands to reach the person and get them in. Don't try anything, it is not your problem. But, if it is you child, brother, sister, mom, dad......Just stand and watch others die. Sleep well.

Judgmental people love being judgmental huh? Only because you might be able to help, doesn't mean everybody has the physical ability to do so. And alerting the lifeguard is far from doing "nothing" and if lifegaurds are present, and they are in every Australian beach that's open to swimming they have a better chance at saving people if other people who have no idea what they are doing alert them quickly and let them do their work. 

Those two guys clearly had the ability to help, others might not.

Also, fyi, you are talking to a physically handicapped 110 pound guy who can barely doggy paddle. Yeah, definitely, the best I could do would be to doggie paddle straight into the Eastern Australian Current and let them carry them out myself. That would be such a better thing to do than running to get the life guard. Yes.

Sleep Well too, Darling.

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 9

4 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

Judgmental people love being judgmental huh? Only because you might be able to help, doesn't mean everybody has the physical ability to do so. And alerting the lifeguard is far from doing "nothing".

Just voicing my opinion is all. The "average" person has the ability to help. Did you know many people have been saved by a group of people forming a human chain? These are average people. Like I said, those days are over, and now those people that could find ways to help, other than watching others do the job, will just stand and watch. Entitled generation.It is sad.

Myself and a friend watched a man with his 5 year old son backing in a pair of wave runners. He stopped to get out to untie them from the trailer. As he did his son put the truck in reverse. The truck with the skies went under water, and fast. Myself, and my friend managed to get the child out (before he wen all the way under), and I dove under several times to connect a wench to pull the truck and skies out. Some stood around and watched, but all were in the water ready to help if needed.

Not saying we saved a life, may have, but we did not even hesitate to jump in and help. We are "average" people. But, those days are gone.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

Also, fyi, you are talking to a physically handicapped 110 pound guy who can barely doggy paddle. Yeah, definitely, the best I could do would be to doggie paddle straight into the Eastern Australian Current and let them carry them out myself. That would be such a better thing to do than running to get the life guard. Yes.

I am replying to a reply, not replying towards you. I believe your reply said "average" person, and that is what I replied to. Do you really think I would expect a person in your position to miraculously go out and help? I would however, expect the "average" people in the area to at least attempt something.

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 7

(CNN)A family stuck in a rip current narrowly avoided a tragedy when a crowd of strangers linked together to bring them back to land.

Nine beachgoers, including two children and an elderly woman, were trapped in the current at Panama City Beach in Florida on Saturday. Bystanders on the shore saw them yelling and waving their arms, and they jumped into action.
"I saw a group of people, a few at first, and then more and more, start forming a human chain," witness Rosalind Beckton told CNN.
The chain grew to around 70 to 80 strangers, all holding hands and stretching to reach the trapped group. All of the swimmers made it out.

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 6

There are a bunch of these. This is how people need to be. Not sit back and watch. It does happen, but not like it should.

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, Sakari said:

I am replying to a reply, not replying towards you. I believe your reply said "average" person, and that is what I replied to. Do you really think I would expect a person in your position to miraculously go out and help? I would however, expect the "average" people in the area to at least attempt something.

You are right, I am sorry.

Whenever I hear something like that I get frustrated and guilty because I am physically unable to help so I try to justify it to myself that it is the best an "average" person could do. Because I don't like admitting to myself that I am below average when it comes to physical abilities. This was more about my personal frustrations and I admit that.

Just know that I do what I can when I can and have done so in the past.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

You are right, I am sorry.

Whenever I hear something like that I get frustrated and guilty because I am physically unable to help so I try to justify it to myself that it is the best an "average" person could do. Because I don't like admitting to myself that I am below average when it comes to physical abilities. This was more about my personal frustrations and I admit that.

Just know that I do what I can when I can and have done so in the past.

You just said you would help, if you could, right there :) 

No need for you to feel guilty about who you are. I am sure you are a wonderful person.

As for my feelings, I have watched society go down the toilet each decade. This is why I said it does not surprise me to see people just sit back and not even try. People used to help each other, those days are gone. Now everyone expects people to hand out help to them, so none of them know how to help. Only receive......We have an entitled society.

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

I think it comes down to motivation. I'll help strangers if I can, if they're in a bad/dangerous situation, but if there's significant risk to myself, I'll find someone who can more effectively deal with it. I'm not a strong swimmer, so I'd not attempt to help a drowning person physically. I'd toss them something to float on, if available, but there's no way I'm buzzing out to risk myself for someone I know nothing about. Calling the police/fire dept/lifeguard/etc is often the best someone can do, since if it comes down to myself or a random stranger, I'm 100% protecting myself first.

• Like 2

On 1/19/2018 at 1:59 PM, Podo said:

I think it comes down to motivation. I'll help strangers if I can, if they're in a bad/dangerous situation, but if there's significant risk to myself, I'll find someone who can more effectively deal with it. I'm not a strong swimmer, so I'd not attempt to help a drowning person physically. I'd toss them something to float on, if available, but there's no way I'm buzzing out to risk myself for someone I know nothing about. Calling the police/fire dept/lifeguard/etc is often the best someone can do, since if it comes down to myself or a random stranger, I'm 100% protecting myself first.

That right there is one of the biggest problems with society right now.

• Like 2

On 2018-01-27 at 7:42 AM, Sakari said:

Survival instinct?

• Like 1

On 1/27/2018 at 7:42 AM, Sakari said:

Yeah how dare I put my own personal safety over that of a complete stranger. It's almost as though there are a whole host of individuals who rely on me who would be negatively affected if something happened to me. Risking my life for a total stranger, when my death would royally screw over my close loved ones, is the height of selfishness.

But hey, it's cool that you have no concept of self-preservation. Go get 'em, slugger.

16 hours ago, Bavarian Raven said:

Survival instinct?

Selfish.....Entitled. How is it survival instinct to not help a stranger? But, if you new the person, you would help.

36 minutes ago, Podo said:

Yeah how dare I put my own personal safety over that of a complete stranger. It's almost as though there are a whole host of individuals who rely on me who would be negatively affected if something happened to me. Risking my life for a total stranger, when my death would royally screw over my close loved ones, is the height of selfishness.

But hey, it's cool that you have no concept of self-preservation. Go get 'em, slugger.

Until it is you, or a loved one needing the help. Than, your feelings would change. But a stranger, to hell with them. Good thing not all those "strangers" feel the same as you, and if you are ever in need, one of them may help you. Unless one of them happens to feel the same way as you.

Go back and look at the videos I posted. You basically just said you would be one of those people watching from the beach, while others are forming a human chain to help a complete stranger., And save their lives.

8 minutes ago, Sakari said:

Until it is you, or a loved one needing the help. Than, your feelings would change. But a stranger, to hell with them. Good thing not all those "strangers" feel the same as you, and if you are ever in need, one of them may help you. Unless one of them happens to feel the same way as you.

Go back and look at the videos I posted. You basically just said you would be one of those people watching from the beach, while others are forming a human chain to help a complete stranger., And save their lives.

I will help strangers. I have already stated this. I won't risk my life for a stranger. The two things are not the same. I'd participate in the chain, provided I was on land; I'm not risking myself in deeper water because I'm not a strong swimmer. Furthermore, if I was a bystander, I'd notify the relevant authorities/emergency workers (police, ambulance, etc) because it's their job to deal with dangerous situations, they are trained for it, and they have the proper resources to do it safely. I will do everything in my power to help someone other than risking my life for a bystander, which seems pretty reasonable to me. I'd never ask a random stranger whom I have never met to risk themselves for me, either. If they want to, fine, but it should never be expected. We have professionally-trained crisis response units for a reason.

There is far more wrong, in my opinion, with carelessly risking one's life for a total stranger than there is with the opposite. I hope you have a good life insurance policy, and that your kids/wife/husband aren't too attached to your continued existence.

Edited by Podo

17 minutes ago, Podo said:

I will help strangers. I have already stated this. I won't risk my life for a stranger. The two things are not the same. I'd participate in the chain, provided I was on land; I'm not risking myself in deeper water because I'm not a strong swimmer. Furthermore, if I was a bystander, I'd notify the relevant authorities/emergency workers (police, ambulance, etc) because it's their job to deal with dangerous situations, they are trained for it, and they have the proper resources to do it safely. I will do everything in my power to help someone other than risking my life for a bystander, which seems pretty reasonable to me. I'd never ask a random stranger whom I have never met to risk themselves for me, either. If they want to, fine, but it should never be expected. We have professionally-trained crisis response units for a reason.

There is far more wrong, in my opinion, with carelessly risking one's life for a total stranger than there is with the opposite. I hope you have a good life insurance policy, and that your kids/wife/husband aren't too attached to your continued existence.

I am not afraid to do whatever it takes to save a life.......Actually, even if it were a Dog. I could never live with myself watching someone, or something die in front of me, and not even attempting to do something to help.

Some of us value life differently, even strangers.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sakari said:

not even attempting to do something to help.

Dialling 911 is a perfectly reasonable course of action. It isn't nothing, sometimes it's the best you can do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Podo said:

Forgot to answer this.

My insurance is good. Not that I adjust it by how high or low my morals are. My wife know's I would do anything (and has seen it) to help another life. She loves me for who I am, not for how much money she gets when I die. She would rather see me pass away trying to help others, than going through life being selfish, and only thinking of her and our kids. (who are all adults)

I have raised my children to help others. "do onto others as you would want them to do onto you". My children have good morals, and I believe at the least, my son would save a complete stranger, and not sit and do nothing while he or she dies.

Many years ago, we heard a woman screaming her lungs out " HELP>>HELP>>>OH MY GOD HELP"...We had just came home...I jumped on my mountain bike and flew to the house. She sounded like she was getting raped. (about 11:30 PM) I could not see her. I did not hesitate to jump the backyard fence and run to help. I was not thinking of my life being in danger, I was thinking of saving a life. I was not waiting for the "proper authorities".......Now, I passed at least a dozen houses, and she had houses on all sides. Not one person was helping. They were busy staying back, calling 911, not helping a stranger..Not even coming out of their homes to see what was wrong...She had been back there screaming for help for over ten minutes I later found out...I ended up pulling a dog from a pool and performing CPR.

Edited by Sakari

7 hours ago, Sakari said:

Selfish.....Entitled. How is it survival instinct to not help a stranger? But, if you new the person, you would help.

Yes I would help, if I knew the person. I'd try to help too if I didn't. But I'm not going to needlessly risk my life (and the wellbeing of my family and employees) for a stranger. 

So yes. Survival instinct 101. (And basic biology 101). 

• Like 1

we have rip currents in nyc, especially rock away beach. i got caught in them few times,  the hardest part is to stay calm and not fight it, it will take you out into the ocean, but not too far, stay calm, stay afloat, and save your energy for a swim  back, just not straight back, swim away from the path that took you out to sea. then back.  as for saving, human chain is good if you can find that many people, but untrained person is a lot more likely to drown himself than save anyone.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2