Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery surrounds kangaroo deaths in NSW

UM-Bot

Well, I lean toward a man made malady. My investigation would start with which corporations, government parties, government organization and private citizens have been most outspoken about the large population. Obviously the researchers don't have the skills, funding or mental capacity to find anything on the millions of corpses standing around.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Nzo said:

Well, I lean toward a man made malady. My investigation would start with which corporations, government parties, government organization and private citizens have been most outspoken about the large population. Obviously the researchers don't have the skills, funding or mental capacity to find anything on the millions of corpses standing around.

I was thinking some sort of toxin.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nzo said:

Obviously the researchers don't have the skills, funding or mental capacity to find anything on the millions of corpses standing around.

Rubbish. We have some of the best wildlife health researches, veterinarian's and pathologists in the world who will eventually get to the bottom of what's been the cause of this. Many health institutions from around the globe are discovering new and differing type of diseases everyday, not only in animals but in humans too. 

Also, the Roo corpses were not willy-nilly standing around. Sadly, they were found sitting / laying around in group-clusters or by themselves. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Astra. said:

Rubbish. We have some of the best wildlife health researches, veterinarian's and pathologists in the world who will eventually get to the bottom of what's been the cause of this. Many health institutions from around the globe are discovering new and differing type of diseases everyday, not only in animals but in humans too. 

Also, the Roo corpses were not willy-nilly standing around. Sadly, they were found sitting / laying around in group-clusters or by themselves. 

C'mon Astra...Best wildlife health researchers...Remember this!  In 1991 a strain of the virus, Czech CAPM 351RHDV, was imported to Australia under strict quarantine conditions to research the safety and usefulness of the virus if it was used as a biological control agent against Australia and New Zealand's rabbit pest problem. Testing of the virus was undertaken on Wardang Island in Spencer Gulf off the coast of the Yorke Peninsula, South Australia. In 1995 "The virus escaped quarantine" and subsequently killed 10 million rabbits within 8 weeks of its release.

51 minutes ago, Meridian O said:

C'mon Astra...Best wildlife health researchers...Remember this!  In 1991 a strain of the virus, Czech CAPM 351RHDV, was imported to Australia under strict quarantine conditions to research the safety and usefulness of the virus if it was used as a biological control agent against Australia and New Zealand's rabbit pest problem. Testing of the virus was undertaken on Wardang Island in Spencer Gulf off the coast of the Yorke Peninsula, South Australia. In 1995 "The virus escaped quarantine" and subsequently killed 10 million rabbits within 8 weeks of its release.

Mistakes happen. Why?... are you suggesting that the same thing has happened to the Roo's as it did to the out of control rabbit population back then.

Quite frankly, I'm quite contented to wait and see what the reports say after this disease has been properly investigated before jumping to any conclusions. Also, the NSW Department of Primary Industry are seeing some similarities of this epidemic that struck back in 1998 and 2010 of the large amount of macropod deaths. There has also been suggestion that certain biting insects may be responsible for infecting these Roo's and spreading this disease among them.

A field report of 2010...

http://www.flockandherd.net.au/other/reader/kangaroo-death-investigation.html

• Like 2

It's an epidemic, those tend to happen every now and then when a population of something is too large... by the way we humans seem to be over do for one

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Astra. said:

Mistakes happen. Why?... are you suggesting that the same thing has happened to the Roo's as it did to the out of control rabbit population back then.

Quite frankly, I'm quite contented to wait and see what the reports say after this disease has been properly investigated before jumping to any conclusions. Also, the NSW Department of Primary Industry are seeing some similarities of this epidemic that struck back in 1998 and 2010 of the large amount of macropod deaths. There has also been suggestion that certain biting insects may be responsible for infecting these Roo's and spreading this disease among them.

A field report of 2010...

http://www.flockandherd.net.au/other/reader/kangaroo-death-investigation.html

I'm not suggesting any such thing however mistakes with quarantined virus' should "Not" happen. Fortunately that mistake only killed a few million unwanted rabbits.  

1 minute ago, Meridian O said:

I'm not suggesting any such thing however mistakes with quarantined virus' should "Not" happen. Fortunately that mistake only killed a few million unwanted rabbits.  

And I certainly get your point and agree. The thing is tho, that there are many, many things that should "Not" happen in this world. But unfortunately they do. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Astra. said:

And I certainly get your point and agree. The thing is tho, that there are many, many things that should "Not" happen in this world. But unfortunately they do. 

An odd coincidence...I picked up a Forest Gump book the other day and yes..."It happens" :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meridian O said:

An odd coincidence...I picked up a Forest Gump book the other day and yes..."It happens" :P

Haha yep, and what a great film. I must watch it again soon :tu:

14 hours ago, Astra. said:

I disagree, I personally have no faith in researchers today. There was a time when a scientist cared more about what their colleges thought of them then funding or politics. Today's researchers have very little integrity and with universities making any moron a scientist very little ability. I highly doubt these researchers will find anything that is not being fed to them by someone pulling their strings.

Is it not odd that you have a huge population of Kangaroos then all of a sudden they fall ill and only them? I can understand population control(which I would love to see implemented with cruel and unusual punishment on the human species) but to make the poor things suffer needlessly with internal bleeding, that is just humane(No I did not use the word incorrectly, it has always been used incorrectly by society)

• Like 2

There are other sources reporting the "Strange" health problem, It should be noted there is also a large mass government sanctioned culling  going on with large masses of pro and against. It has turned political...

Edited by Saru
Removed reference to redundant source link

I've seen quite a few of rabbits suffering from the hemorragic virus mentioned above. Not in Australia but in Iberia where the virus arrived a couple years later and wiped out some 90% of the rabbit population. Symptoms are very similar to those described for the kangaroos.
No idea if there are any cases of that virus jumping the species barrier into kangaroos, but it is not impossible. Of course it can also be some new superbug.
The level of decline (40% within months) also seems similar to the rabbit virus. You can get drops of (over) 90% in less than two years with plenty of local extinctions as well.

Edited by aearluin
Accidently posted before finishing the post...

12 hours ago, Meridian O said:

It didn't just kill unwanted rabbits in Australia. The virus made it to Europe where it killed millions of rabbits, running havoc on the ecossystems of southern Europe. It was behind serious declines in several rabbit predators such as the Iberian lynx and the Spanish imperial eagle, as well as affecting other animals that rely, or used to rely, on rabbit corpses such as black vultures.

Twenty years laters, rabbit populations still haven't fully recovered in many parts of Iberia and just two years ago there was another, smaller, outbreak.

• Like 1

That is a rapid, and serious decline. Hope they solve this one quick. To affect so many, so quick, it might be an airborne pathogen.

I am an American and a U.S. Coast Guard retiree. I could be wrong but several Western countries have sonic weapons systems that cause these injuries. This may not be a sickness as much as it may be the government in Australia testing a sonic weapons system on kangaroos in their natural environment. Most highly advanced weapons systems today are kept secret because of the devastation they can cause on mass numbers of people. Most citizens in Western countries would object to the government having such power.

As an example the U.S. has a weapons system that looks something like a small radar disk. When it is pointed at a group of people approaching the system (as in enemy troops approaching a Western army's position) the machine sends out vibrations that quite literally set the enemy troops on fire - by the tens of thousands...in less than one minute.

The machine was sent to Iraq in limited numbers but never used by U.S. troops. My guess is that the Australian Ministry of Defense is testing a sonic weapons system in NSW.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, aearluin said:

It didn't just kill unwanted rabbits in Australia. The virus made it to Europe where it killed millions of rabbits, running havoc on the ecossystems of southern Europe. It was behind serious declines in several rabbit predators such as the Iberian lynx and the Spanish imperial eagle, as well as affecting other animals that rely, or used to rely, on rabbit corpses such as black vultures.

Twenty years laters, rabbit populations still haven't fully recovered in many parts of Iberia and just two years ago there was another, smaller, outbreak.

A hint of sarcasm was in that (Fortunately that mistake only killed a few million unwanted rabbits) statement.

Yet! As Astra points out , she's quite contented to wait and see what the reports say after this disease has been properly investigated before jumping to any conclusions.

Problem is that there's not a lot of folk offering information like you have above and it needs to be backed-up by other's with the right creds.

You need proof and even with that you need folk to believe you and will they care enough or have the power and numbers to make a stand?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomBarnes said:

I am an American and a U.S. Coast Guard retiree. I could be wrong but several Western countries have sonic weapons systems that cause these injuries. This may not be a sickness as much as it may be the government in Australia testing a sonic weapons system on kangaroos in their natural environment. Most highly advanced weapons systems today are kept secret because of the devastation they can cause on mass numbers of people. Most citizens in Western countries would object to the government having such power.

As an example the U.S. has a weapons system that looks something like a small radar disk. When it is pointed at a group of people approaching the system (as in enemy troops approaching a Western army's position) the machine sends out vibrations that quite literally set the enemy troops on fire - by the tens of thousands...in less than one minute.

The machine was sent to Iraq in limited numbers but never used by U.S. troops. My guess is that the Australian Ministry of Defense is testing a sonic weapons system in NSW.

It would be hard to keep a secret when carrying out such testing in public domain.The outcry from enviormental groups would be huge. I certainly don't doubt these weapons exist tho. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Meridian O said:

A hint of sarcasm was in that (Fortunately that mistake only killed a few million unwanted rabbits) statement.

Yet! As Astra points out , she's quite contented to wait and see what the reports say after this disease has been properly investigated before jumping to any conclusions.

Problem is that there's not a lot of folk offering information like you have above and it needs to be backed-up by other's with the right creds.

You need proof and even with that you need folk to believe you and will they care enough or have the power and numbers to make a stand?  

Definitely. I wasn't saying it is the rabbit virus, just that it is similar. We have to wait for the lab work to figure out what it is. It may be something completely different.

• Like 2

Intrestingly just at the beginning of the year, the government was calling for extermination due to overpopulation. Now this... coincidental or not

• Like 1

Just speculation, but I wonder if a human virus is affecting the kangaroos like the Rhinovirus C virus is affecting the chimpanzees in Uganda:

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/314157-human-cold-virus-killing-chimps-in-uganda/

I looked up the symptoms (blindness, internal bleeding, stilted movement and massive hemorrhaging) and found similar symptoms for a variety of human illnesses. One example is African Viral Hemorrhagic Disease:

"Ebola and Marburg hemorrhagic fevers. Both begin with fever, fatigue, dizziness, muscle pain, and exhausting followed by minor petechie. Progresses to sever internal hemorrhaging as well as bleeding from other body orifices. Death results from shock, seizures, and kidney failure. Caused by unsegmented -ssRNA (must be converted to mRNA). Assigned to filovirade family. Hemorrhaging is caused by malfunction of the blood clotting system. Thought to be transmitted by bats or the host bodily fluid or waste."