Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Challenger's crew story.

qxcontinuum

I wasn't aware of what truly happened with Challenger's crew after explosion. Same as everyone else I though that they all dies in the shuttle's explosion or so like whatever Nasa and Reagan said. However that is not what happened and after 30 years the story comes back to live in its true horror depicting a whole different version than what Nasa and Reagan foretold humanity. 

http://gawker.com/thirty-years-ago-the-challenger-crew-plunged-alive-and-1755727930

1 hour ago, qxcontinuum said:

Same as everyone else I though that they all dies in the shuttle's explosion or so like whatever Nasa and Reagan said. 

No, not the same as everyone else. The facts surrounding the deaths of the astronauts have been known since the 1986, the fact that you didn't know them is your fault,  not NASA's or Reagan's.

Here is the official report by Dr Joseph Kerwin, a physician and former astronaut, which was published on 28th July 1986: NASA History

If you spent more time researching and less time jumping to false conclusions based on the assumption that because YOU don't know something then no one knows it you might make less silly posts claiming conspiracy where there is none.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

No, not the same as everyone else. The facts surrounding the deaths of the astronauts have been known since the 1986, the fact that you didn't know them is your fault,  not NASA's or Reagan's.

Here is the official report by Dr Joseph Kerwin, a physician and former astronaut, which was published on 28th July 1986: NASA History

If you spent more time researching and less time jumping to false conclusions based on the assumption that because YOU don't know something then no one knows it you might make less silly posts claiming conspiracy where there is none.

As I recall, the initial general impression was that the astronauts were killed almost instantly. Certainly, the newspapers and TV were reporting that:

54c930605314a.image.png

The NASA report you link to was published the following July. So, it is understandable that anyone who didn't follow the story in the months after the tragedy may have been left with the impression the astronauts were killed instantly.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Derek Willis said:

As I recall, the initial general impression was that the astronauts were killed almost instantly. Certainly, the newspapers and TV were reporting that:

54c930605314a.image.png

The NASA report you link to was published the following July. So, it is understandable that anyone who didn't follow the story in the months after the tragedy may have been left with the impression the astronauts were killed instantly.

What a pile of nonsense. You are basically excusing a false allegation of conspiracy despite the fact that the information has been available for 3 decades.

The report I linked was published just 6 months after the accident, qxcontinuum is claiming that NASA has basically covered up the facts for 30 years.

The report I quoted was found with just 20 seconds of searching, on my phone, on the bus home from work. qxcontinuum clearly did no such research,  but hey, never let the facts get in the way of a good conspiracy story.

What the papers reported in the days after the tragedy are totally irrelevant when not only have the facts been known for more than 30 years but they were actually published by the very organisation that qxcontinuum believes covered them up.

I have to admit to being surprised that you are prepared to support qxcontinuum in such a blatant lie.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

What a pile of nonsense. You are basically excusing a false allegation of conspiracy despite the fact that the information has been available for 3 decades.

The report I linked was published just 6 months after the accident, qxcontinuum is claiming that NASA has basically covered up the facts for 30 years.

The report I quoted was found with just 20 seconds of searching, on my phone, on the bus home from work. qxcontinuum clearly did no such research,  but hey, never let the facts get in the way of a good conspiracy story.

What the papers reported in the days after the tragedy are totally irrelevant when not only have the facts been known for more than 30 years but they were actually published by the very organisation that qxcontinuum believes covered them up.

I have to admit to being surprised that you are prepared to support qxcontinuum in such a blatant lie.

I was simply referring to what qxcontimuum wrote in his post:

"I wasn't aware of what truly happened with Challenger's crew after explosion. Same as everyone else I though that they all dies in the shuttle's explosion or so like whatever Nasa and Reagan said. However that is not what happened and after 30 years the story comes back to live in its true horror depicting a whole different version than what Nasa and Reagan foretold humanity."

I was making no reference at all to any conspiracy theory about NASA withholding the truth regarding what happened. In the immediate aftermath of the crash - as the news reports attest - no one, including NASA, knew when the crew had died. The assumption was that they had been killed almost immediately. By the time the report was published in July, the situation was clearer. My point is that most people watch the news and then move on. I bet if you polled a dozen people now, they will be of the opinion the crew died at the moment of the explosion. People like you and I may have followed the story, but we are in the (tiny) minority.

Tell me this Waspie, when you first saw the news reports, did you you say to yourself: "The crew did not die immediately, they survived for a while longer."? I very much doubt you did. So get off your high horse.

3 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

I was in high shool when this happened and I remember the investigations and how they came to the conclusion they did not die right away.  We watched the take off in class, which was horrific to see.  I remember thinking how terrifying it must have been for them to experience the explosion and then hit the water. 

• Like 2

No one was aware of what truly happened right after the explosion. They needed to investigate. 

Nasa took some heat for staying quiet until the investigation was complete. Apparently, some news agencies started speculating because they didn't have any info. 

They still don't know for certain that the crew were all conscious for the entire descent, but they may have been.

The really sad part was that the engineers had voiced concerns about the O-rings to management and they went ignored. 

• Like 4

This was devastating at the time. Not only a horrific accident taking the lives of astronauts but also a civilian.

I can't recall how long the delay was but initial reports implied the crew was killed immediately, and quite some time before the findings were released that the cabin area wasn't fully destroyed in the blast. I don't believe there was an intent to cover up, just no one knew till they recovered the wreckage. That's how I recall it. I was sitting in the battalion PLL room listening to the radio when it exploded.

A dark day indeed.

It was a harsh reality. Aside from the devastating fire on the testing pad that claimed the Apollo one astronauts America had lost no one in an actual flight. Apollo 13 had even made it back safe. Spaceflight felt almost commonplace. And then Challenger happened. After much finger pointing and maligning, Morton Thiokol O rings were found to be the culprit succumbing to extremely cold temperatures at launch. Then days later we learned that some engineers had warned Mission Control that the O-rings could fail. Then days later we heard that someone had overruled that warning and went to launch.

We heard what was on the news and what was in the papers and that's all. There was no internet to search. It was a different time, and this is how I remember it.  

• Like 5