Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Flat earth Proof?

Thomas_XL

This is a bizarre video that is hard to explain when you watch it look closely to the horizon and how the boat and the buoy how they are possitioned on the water.. Stange or what? This video got me looking deeper into the flat earth theory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSSFfoAIx04

I don't say I believe in it, but I like to challenge what we take as a sure thing, and I like to be fully open minded. To see clearly you have to let go of all the things you take for granted and ask questions that matter, even if they the questions are taken blindly for granted   

• Like 1

The "Bedford Levels Experiment".

Out of curiosity; if the Earth was indeed "flat", then what  would be on the other side?:whistle:

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Thomas Van Overloop said:

I don't say I believe in it, but I like to challenge what we take as a sure thing, and I like to be fully open minded. To see clearly you have to let go of all the things you take for granted and ask questions that matter, even if they the questions are taken blindly for granted   

That is exactly what the people that figured out the Earth was round did...

But that was over 2000 years ago! Flat Earth theory has just as much relevance today as the notions that things heavier than air cannot fly or that disease is caused by bad spirits...

If you think every single image collected from orbit is fake take my word for it. I've been on planes many times, its round. I know seven different people who travelled around the world. Its round. I've been in countries ranging from 23°S to 66°N and confirmed that day lenght varies with latitude. Its round!

• Like 8

If the earth was indeed flat, then Hawaii and Japan would have to be on opposite sides, right? Because we know how close Japan is to North Korea. So, a flight from Hawaii to Japan would have to travel east, across the continental U.S., across Africa, thru sounthern EuroAsia, past North Korea, to arrive in Japan.

Same thing with Alaska and Russia. But, we know you can get on a boat in Alaska and easily land on Russian soil without trekking across Canada.

There, mystery solved. The earth is round. 

• Like 9

37 minutes ago, Obviousman said:

The problem with an open mind is, like an open window, if you don't have some type of screen fitted then all sorts of **** floats in.

An open mind is also a humble mind because it realizes how little it actually knows about the world, universe and everything!

• Like 1

A mind should be used. To be open-minded does not require one to be empty-headed.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, keithisco said:

Out of curiosity; if the Earth was indeed "flat", then what  would be on the other side?:whistle:

640?cb=20170609014228

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Is that 'right side up'?

Summat like it

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Thomas Van Overloop said:

This is a bizarre video that is hard to explain when you watch it look closely to the horizon and how the boat and the buoy how they are possitioned on the water.. Stange or what? This video got me looking deeper into the flat earth theory

Besides the uploader being a flat earther, what is bizarre about it?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, keithisco said:

That's where we get oil.  The earth floats on it.  It is not really four elephants standing on a giant turtle like they say.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

That's where we get oil.  The earth floats on it.  It is not really four elephants standing on a giant turtle like they say.

That's where you are wrong. The oil is actually the blood of the turtle. Oil rigs are like mosquitos!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Thomas_XL said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSSFfoAIx04

Thomas_XL

You say you live in Belgium. How about, instead of watching internet videos, why don't you do some actual research of your own. Here are two things you can do yourself:

1. Head down to Ostend on your next day off and watch the ferries arriving from and departing to Ramsgate. See if you see the same effect as shown in the video. Watch as the ships slowly slip below the horizon - or gradually appear above it.

2. Google the flight times between these three cities: London (because it's a major hub close to where you live), Sao Paulo in Brazil and Johannesburg in South Africa. Measure the distances between these three cities on a Flat Earth map. Now explain how the shortest flight time is associated with the longest (flat earth) distance.

3. Look at Australia (g'day!) on a Flat Earth map. Measure the distances between Brisbane-Melbourne and Melbourne-Perth. Compare them with the road distances given on the internet. Explain the differences.

4. If you care to invest the time in it, plot the first voyage of Captain James Cook on the Endeavour (1768-1771) on a Flat Earth map. Explain why the distance the Endeavour travelled each day gets greater (on average) the further south the ship travelled.

5. Consider that the results of the preceding four experiments are better explained by a spherical Earth rather than a flat Earth.

• Like 7

If the video wants to convince anybody, it should start with its best evidence, because people like me wont want to waste a lot of time waiting for something better at the end.

The start actually shows a mirage effect over a flat tarmac area, a very common phenomenon caused by optical refraction in the layer of air heated by the hot surface.  If this is due to the Earth being flat, why is it only flat on hot days?

• Like 7

If Earth was flat then why does it take about 20 hours to fly from Australia to America and cross timezones?

Also space videos and photos looking down on Earth show its round. Never once has a photo or video ever shown it flat

• Like 3

Some Axioms come to mind when topics of this nature manifest.

1)  Take care when you argue with a fool, lest they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

2)  When observing a debate between a fool and a genius, it is often not possible to distinguish who is whom.

3)  Isn't it intriguing that the Wise are often flavored with doubt, while Fools dash about with devastating unshakable surety?

• Like 3

On 29/12/2017 at 9:58 PM, Thomas_XL said:

An open mind is also a humble mind because it realizes how little it actually knows about the world, universe and everything!

That doesn't mean we don't know about anything and can throw any meaningless idea into the ring and expect it to be well treated. Flat earth is demonstrably wrong, on every level, and if you don't believe me, feel free to fling your three best bits of evidence at me.

• Like 6

On 30/12/2017 at 9:44 AM, Peter B said:

2. Google the flight times between these three cities: London (because it's a major hub close to where you live), Sao Paulo in Brazil and Johannesburg in South Africa. Measure the distances between these three cities on a Flat Earth map. Now explain how the shortest flight time is associated with the longest (flat earth) distance

Or explain the flight path from Sydney to Santiago, which on a flat earth would take you over mainland America (which demonstrably does not happen) and would also be longer than any commercial flight is actually capable of making.

ALL "flat earth theory" is is arrogant misdirection muddled with ignorant misunderstanding.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

What a fascinating discussion flat-earthers  and hollow-earthers would have.

It's like a doughnut.

• Like 6