Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Kansas man shot to death by police

Colt Storm

A Kansas man shot to death by police earlier this week was the victim of a misdirected gaming prank known as "swatting," according to social media chatter.

Absolutely senseless, what is it with these people....

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/kan-man-killed-cops-victim-swatting-prank-article-1.3726171

• Like 8

You can bet the one who made the call will be charged with negligent homicide, regardless of who pulled the trigger. The Police response ended in a fatality of which the caller should take the blame.

"Someone tried to swat me and got an innocent man killed," the targeted gamer tweeted as news of the fatal police shooting began to spread.

As for the Officer that pulled the trigger, we know how it will all end. "Justified" regardless if the one shot was armed or not. When the Police never take blame for anything they do, it shows how wrong, and abusive of policies, some departments can be.

• Like 7

Swatting.

That this even exists as a thing just totally squashes whatever faith I had left in humanity.

Doesn't it occur to anyone that somebody might get hurt?

They didn't call in an order for 100 pizzas, they called in a friggin' SWAT team.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Swatting.

That this even exists as a thing just totally squashes whatever faith I had left in humanity.

They didn't call in an order for 100 pizzas, they called in a friggin' SWAT team.

That was my thought at first as well, then I was horrified to think what if it had been a child who got shot?

Such depravity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChaosRose said:

Swatting.

It’s harder to order a dozen pizzas without paying online than it is to ring the police and say “so and so is making a bomb”.

• Like 5

And to think it was all over a less than $2 bet.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, South Alabam said:

You can bet the one who made the call will be charged with negligent homicide, regardless of who pulled the trigger. The Police response ended in a fatality of which the caller should take the blame.

"Someone tried to swat me and got an innocent man killed," the targeted gamer tweeted as news of the fatal police shooting began to spread.

As for the Officer that pulled the trigger, we know how it will all end. "Justified" regardless if the one shot was armed or not. When the Police never take blame for anything they do, it shows how wrong, and abusive of policies, some departments can be.

They still haven't solved the case in Minnesota where the woman was killed, by the cop in the car, after she called them for help after she thought that she heard a nearby assault. It was supposed to be solved by 2018. Now, they say that they'll investigate it throughout the new year. Any bets on whether or not the case will be solved before 2019?

• Like 8

They haven't been through all the plausible deniability yet, so 2019 is stretching it. Good case in point. They will not take the blame.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, South Alabam said:

I'm not so sure.  There is a whole other person (the police officer) in-between him and the death.  And as you say, how can it be negligent homicide if the death turns out to be "justified"?

• Like 1

I heard an interview with the Kansas police dept on the radio today.  The spokesman basically said, "It's not our fault, it is the prankster's fault."    I was focused on the prankster until I heard that.  I think police tactics have to be partly to blame.  I do hope they find and punish the prankster to the full extent of the law, but the police not expressing any sense of responsibility or regret is a huge disconnect in my mind.

• Like 4

I find the following absolutely insane: 

Officers screamed at Finch to put his hands in the air, but Livingston said the 28-year-old moved a hand toward his waistband. An officer, fearing Finch was reaching for a gun, fired a single shot. Finch died minutes later. 

A bunch of armed people show up and start screaming directions while pointing weapons at a person and expect that person to be able to follow orders. Anyone who thinks that is a reasonable proposition has never been in a life and death high pressure situation. In other words the cops KNOW they are creating situations which are likely to end up in the death of anyone not wearing blue. 

• Like 5

An alleged serial "prankster" from California has been arrested over a fake 911 call that resulted in police fatally shooting an unarmed Kansas man earlier this week, officials said.

Tyler Barriss — a 25-year-old gamer suspected of making the false police report that led to the death of Wichita resident Andrew Finch — was cuffed by Los Angeles cops late Friday. The catastrophic prank Barriss carried out, known as "swatting," has gained traction in online gaming communities and typically involves a person making up a story about an ongoing violent crime to trigger a massive police response.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/unarmed-kan-man-killed-cops-victim-swatting-prank-article-1.3726171

Ok, this might be a dumb question but... I always thought 911 calls went to local police automatically. How does a 911 call placed in California get to an address in Kansas? I'm not doubting the story or anything, just wondering how that works.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, rashore said:

Ok, this might be a dumb question but... I always thought 911 calls went to local police automatically. How does a 911 call placed in California get to an address in Kansas? I'm not doubting the story or anything, just wondering how that works.

The FBI estimates that roughly 400 cases of swatting occur annually, with some using caller ID spoofing to disguise their number. An FBI supervisor in Kansas City, Missouri, which covers all of Kansas, said the agency joined in the investigation at the request of local police.

Source

• Like 8

Thank you Z, I had wondered that too but had heard of it happening before.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

I heard an interview with the Kansas police dept on the radio today.  The spokesman basically said, "It's not our fault, it is the prankster's fault."    I was focused on the prankster until I heard that.  I think police tactics have to be partly to blame.  I do hope they find and punish the prankster to the full extent of the law, but the police not expressing any sense of responsibility or regret is a huge disconnect in my mind.

It's like there's a huge gap in their training for unusual events and unusual people. They can't plan for all things, but they really need to learn how to deescalate certain tense situations. That's especially true when they deal with members of vulnerable populations (deaf, schizophrenic, suicidal, etc.). Some law enforcement agencies need an absolute overhaul of their procedures.

• Like 6

This guy has a history of crank calling, he needs to be locked away before gets someone else killed.

Two years ago, Tyler Barriss called in multiple bomb threats to the Glendale offices of KABC-TV Channel 7, prompting a mass evacuation.

Barriss was charged and eventually convicted in connection with the hoax, one of several high-profile incidents at the time that focused attention on the act of crank-calling known as "swatting."

Now, Barriss, 25, is accused of a much more serious hoax. He was arrested in South Los Angeles on Friday for his suspected role in a deadly prank in Kansas, police said.

Barriss allegedly made a hoax call that resulted in the police shooting of Andrew Finch, according to police and family members of the victim. Finch, 28, was killed after officers descended outside his Wichita house after getting a 911 call about a shooting at the residence on Thursday night.

The term "swatting" refers to the police response typically generated by such calls, with officers deploying SWAT teams to an address. Pranksters typically claim that an armed intruder is inside the home.

The FBI estimates that roughly 400 cases of swatting occur annually, with some using caller ID spoofing to disguise their number. Swatting cases that result in the death of a victim are less common, however.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-swatting-suspect-20171230-story.html

Edited by Colt Storm
  • Like 8

it absolutely is cops fault,  too trigger happy,  we see it too many times,   i do not believe their explanation 1 bit. the prankster is guilty too but not for murder.  cop who pulled a trigger is the only guilty of murder here.

• Like 1

I just heard about this. Was wondering myself how a 911 call from LA gets to a response center in Kansas. Police may have been wrong, but they did believe the man inside the house had shot his father to death and poured gasoline all over the house with the intention of setting it on fire. I hope this clown in LA gets the hardest sentence possible.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/wichita-swatting-prank-suspect-tyler-barriss-arrested-los-angeles/

• Like 2

does not matter what they were told, 911 calls are not always accurate, we seen it many times.  it is police job to investigate first not to shoot first person they see.  do we need cops that shoot first, and do not care about consequences, and have the rest of  force cover them up by lying?  nope we do not. 

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

They must be having a hard time hiring cops these days.  I mean who would really want the job?  The competency and courage factors are troubling.  

It seems like cops used to be braver when I was a kid.  We didn't hear about all these shootings.  Then again, population has increased dramatically since 70s, and now we have internet to circulate the stories.  But I just don't remember this many police shootings.  Does anyone here know where data might be available that supports or refutes?  I can't seem to find much data.  

But, I can't help thinking somewhere in training or procedures for rookies, there is some kind of 'we go home no matter what' mentality.   I feel like as soon as an alleged perp's hand goes toward the waistband does not justify a police response of killing that person immediately.  

I say cops were braver, because it seems like cops back in the day would at least have to see a gun in someone's hand, and usually it was because it was aimed at them before they used deadly force.  

Cops lives are valuable too, but there are far too many innocent people being shot and killed by trigger happy, or scared cops these days.  Protecting their own life with deadly force has to be justified by more threatening gestures than 'moving his hand toward waistband' type crap.  

• Like 5

there is 1 in 100 chance someone will shot at a cop, there is 1 in 1000 chance cop will be convicted, if he kills anyone, courts are always on their side, their buddies cops will lie for them to no end.  so no wonder they keep murdering people left and right, and do not give 2 shts about it. gvmnt wants us to be scarred shtless of cops, so we are easy controlled,  police state is not a sickness but a symptom, it is a consequence of rotten and corrupt system.,

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

Saw that too. Five officers shot, one died. Two civilians were also shot. 

http://www.kktv.com/content/news/Shots-fired-at-Douglas-County-deputies-467401863.html

Thank goodness, this guy was discovered in Houston.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/police-find-stash-weapons-houston-hotel-room-after-drunk-guest-n833716

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1