Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Richard Dawkins on persuasion

UM-Bot

4 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

He might sow enough doubt so that they don't fall down the fundamentalist/Young Earth Creationist trap.

I seriously doubt there's any help possible for those ... its one of those either or conditions ... if they are, no Dawkies will be able to help any of them ...

~

• Like 2

17 hours ago, third_eye said:

I seriously doubt there's any help possible for those ... its one of those either or conditions ... if they are, no Dawkies will be able to help any of them ...

~

People do walk away from fundamentalism. It's amazing to me that this happens, but it does. It's a possibility. 

Or they might not go down that path because of something they hear. 

23 hours ago, khol said:

Tangible things like fossil records and microscopes.Oh and lets not forget simple logic

Yes, if he wishes to persuade believers in creationism, which is all well and good (if the beliefs of such people are harmful) but he always wants to spread his crusade to convert all unbelievers to the true faith of atheism. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Yes, if he wishes to persuade believers in creationism, which is all well and good (if the beliefs of such people are harmful) but he always wants to spread his crusade to convert all unbelievers to the true faith of atheism. 

How do you know?

I've heard him say good things about Christianity. Even that it may be a defense against other types of fundamentalism that are currently more dangerous. 

I've even seen him go to bat for Christians about different things. 

Remember when they wanted to show the Lord's Prayer at cinema? He spoke out in favor their right to do that.

• Like 1

Chaos

Remember when they wanted to show the Lord's Prayer at cinema? He spoke out in favor their right to do that.

As well he should, since the same arguments that were raised against the Lord's Prayer movie-theater ad were raised against his own "bus placard" campaign a few years' back. Indeed, in some places, it was the existence of paid pro-religious advertising that put pressure on the various media to accept the anti-religious advertisements.

Clearly, advocating tolerance of religious subject matter in advertising furthers his ability to promote his own message.

BTW, for those just tuning in, here's the religious ad we're talking about:

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

People do walk away from fundamentalism. It's amazing to me that this happens, but it does. It's a possibility. 

Or they might not go down that path because of something they hear. 

Yes, the possibility is of course there, more probable though is that conditions such as mentioned normally gets more entrenched by manner of arguments and debates. If one ever walks away from such fundamentalism it won't be due to logic or facts presented to them.

What they do hear though and what is heard is an entirely whole different chapter of great speculations.

~

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Meh, he may know a lot of facts... but he’s not very good at persuasion.

"Once you realize that everyone is completely irrational,your life gets a lot easier.” - Scott Adams