Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is it real? Please Help!

Dave123

Ok, this is my first post, and hopefully the only one! Please tell me what could have been going on if you have any idea!
4 weeks ago, I visited my home town in Hungary to receive a dental treatment. I live and work in the UK as a developer for over 6 years now and I rarely go back to Hungary as almost all my friends and family live here now. Dental treatment is much cheaper in Hungary, especially when you have known the dentist for over 20 years. :) I booked an appointment with him for a Tuesday but stayed home for 4 additional days until Friday because I also had smaller things to sort out. I stayed in my grandparents` house, where my Dad grew up, because our family house is rented out. To be honest with you I always hated being in my grandparents` old house, especially in my dad`s old room on the first floor. I could never explain why, it just gave me creepy feelings. I even had one of my worst nightmares about my Dad`s room, when I was already living in the UK. I dreamed it 3 years ago in London, and the nightmare was about keeping an evil "me" out of my Dad`s room while I was inside trying to keep the glass door shut.

Anyways, I stayed in my dad`s room after all, because that is the only room that can be heated up properly.  I had my treatment then mostly worked from home on my laptop in the following days. I stayed up quite late working on Wednesday, my second night being home. I don`t get scared easily, but I deeply felt that someone was staring at me. I immediately looked around in the room but no one was there. I decided to just go to sleep as I was probably awake too long already. 
Next day I had a busy day seeing old family members and doing some work again. As it was my last day at home before flying back to London I decided to attend a so called "night bath". It is one of the traditional things we have in Hungary, people go to huge wellness and spa places after work and stay there until midnight or even longer. For me there was something unique about these baths that I never missed an opportunity to attend one of these spa events when I was back home once or twice a year. 

So I packed my swimsuit and ordered a taxi to get into town. I wanted to get there by the opening which was at 6pm. The taxi driver dropped me in front of the bath, but, for a moment I felt a strange draw to the pub next to the bath. Okay, now you might think it was normal, especially when someone is in his mid 20s, but not me. I mentioned before that I have no friends left in my hometown, so there was no point for me to chose the pub instead of the bath, only if I wanted to get drunk. That wasn`t me either, I always try to stay away from drinking, whether be a work party or wedding. My reason for that is my father, who has been a heavy alcoholic for almost 30 years. Thankfully, he is sober now for some time, but I have bad memories of his drunkenness and have some fear too if I will ever follow his journey. I never had problems with alcohol before, I`ve only been proper drunk twice before in my whole life.
So, with all that been said, I just went into the pub, sat town at the bar, and ordered heavy liquor: neat vodka, absinthe, rum and whiskey with no chaser. I don`t know why I`ve done that, I just couldn`t stop myslef, I acted as it was completely normal. Yes, I do have problems in my life, but I wouldn`t consider myself mentally instable and I certainly don`t have depression (at least not one I am aware of). Also, I am not someone who doesn`t know how alcohol affects the body, I was a bartender for 2 years alongside college and saw what shots can do to someone if he didn`t drink enough water with them. But for a strange reason I just continued drinking.
I had 4-5 drinks, stayed there chatting to the bartender for about 1.5 hours, then paid my bill and left. As I was already late from the night bath I decided to see the city`s Christmas Market, which was about 15 minutes walk from the pub (it was around 8 pm I guess).
I felt that I was already half drunk, so I needed to have some food in the market. I bought some traditional cheese, and sausages with a Christmas tea, then walked around. It is a huge market and takes at least one hour to see everything. Finally, I arrived back to the cheese place and ordered one last pack of soft cheese with the last coins I had on me. I stayed there chatting to the cheese-lady until they, and the rest of the market closed at around 10 pm. I had no more money on me therefore taxi was not an option to go home with. As I started walking home my memories got cut off and the next thing I remember was waking up in my dad`s room at 7 am having crazy chest pain. 

Up until this point it doesn`t feel anything too strange, right? Well, I was really curious about how and when exactly did I manage to come home to my grandparents` house which was not exactly close to the town centre, especially that I noticed weird scratches on my neck and shoulder (never happened to me before). That`s why I checked my phone`s location history and there was a spooky realisation. According to my phone I never left the pub I started drinking in, and stayed there till midnight. I normally have 3G in my data plan, but it doesn`t work in Hungary, so all my phone shows is when and for how long it was connected to a certain wifi network, so it showed that it continuously connected to the pub`s wifi. Even stranger, my phone says it connected to my grandparents` network just 4 minutes after it stopped connecting to the pub`s wifi at 00:31. Only problem, there is a 40 minutes walk to my grandparents` home from the city centre, which is expected to be even longer when someone is wasted. Going home with a taxi also seems impossible when the ride itself takes at least 12 minutes without counting any traffic. A sports car could probably do the distance within 7 minutes in race mode, but you get my point, 4 minutes is impossible. Also, according to my memories I spent all my cash in the Christmas Market and had no credit card on me. So how could I pay for my taxi? Did I teleport myself?

I had to catch my flight that morning, so I didn`t have much time to do too much research, but just before going to the airport I managed to get to the pub I supposedly spent my last night in. As soon as I went inside the same bartender welcomed me from the previous day. I asked him if he remembers me coming back after visiting the Christmas Market, he looked at me and said, "But you stayed here the whole evening for about 5-6 hours. Do you not remember? You just kept ordering drinks and I even told you that you are one hell of a drinker." Then he told me roughly how much I payed and it was exactly how much money I left home with. What??? 
After our chat I ordered a taxi and headed over to the airport thinking that I still have no clue how I got home last night, but at least now I know that I probably just imagined the whole Christmas Market thing and the conversation with the lady, even though it seemed so real. Then an even stranger thing happened: in the taxi to the airport I put my hand into my pocket and pulled out the 2 cheese bags from the market. I was confused as hell. I couldn`t have spent my money at both the pub and the market and be in both places at the same time, especially when I only have memories being in the market.

And if this is not enough I noticed that my id name in my phone has changed from mine to a woman`s name I never heard of, and that 2 apps were downloaded onto my device during that strange night. Weird thing is I myself downloaded those 2 gaming apps around 3 months ago but later deleted them as I didn`t have much time playing them. I called Apple Support about these apps and my heart started pumping very fast when they said they were never downloaded onto my device before, but only on that night when I got drunk. I told them I was sober when downloading and deleting them 3 months ago and I remembered clearly. They said it is impossible as their system records every single download. How do I then have memories of deleting them before? Was it in a different reality? As to the woman`s name, I searched for her, and only found one person on Facebook with the same name and she lives in Canada. I tried to message her but up to this date I didn`t receive any answer. It probably sounds silly, but I thought she might lead me closer to an answer. I hope I am not crazy and there is an explanation for all of this. I told this story to my brother who lives with me in London and he said I shouldn`t worry, because he never ever noticed anything strange about me before.
I also hope nothing like this ever happens to me again, and I will certainly never go bank to my dad`s old room. 

If anyone has an explanation of what happened to me please let me know. 
  • Like 4

Could you have gone to the Christmas market and then back to the pub.? The bartender probably thought you went out for a cigarette..

Edited by Scrunchkruckets
  • Like 3

So much alcohol is involved that I don't think it's worth you trying to sort this out.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Scrunchkruckets said:

Could you have gone to the Christmas market and then back to the pub.. The bartender probably thought you went out for a cigarette..

Beat me to it. 

• Like 3

Certainly an interesting story. A full paranormal explanation for this is beyond me, but I am more and more convinced we live in a universe with weird possibilities we don't understand. One paranormal possibility might be alternative timelines. Both scenarios happened but in different timelines. I have come to believe in alternate realities and also the Mandela Effect where people claim to have genuine memories of things that are not part of our collective mainstream reality.

Now, possible 'normal' explanations too. You got drunk and have no reliable memories after that? The bartender exaggerated your time of staying and the amount of money spent? You walked home in a stupor? The wifi timing on your phone stays connected to the previous location until you start a new connection? etc.

I lean to something paranormal (about 60%) from your apparent clear-headed sanity now, your bafflement against a normal explanation having been there, your inexplicable urges/influences while sober, your psychic and psychological history with the house, and the combination of odd events, etc,.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 3

On 12/31/2017 at 4:56 PM, Dave123 said:
Ok, this is my first post, and hopefully the only one! Please tell me what could have been going on if you have any idea!

Hi Dave, your post has an honest feel about it, but I think the explanation is very simple, you got slaughtered. And this is something we all do and nothing to worry about. You're a young man you did no harm, by the sound of it you were very well behaved in the pub, so you're entitled to have a blow out every now and then. 

The thing is from what you say you aren't much of a drinker, but as you know living in London, we have a bit of a drinking culture over here so a lot of us are used to it, and whilst reading your story I found myself nodding and empathising throughout. It's a classic case of drinking far more than you thought and having a blackout. 

• Like 5

You probably shouldn't stay in your Dad's room. 

It may have messed with your subconscious and led to the sudden urge to get plastered. 

It's weird to have garbled memories like that, though. Instead of no memories like in a blackout, you have memories of things that didn't happen...or at least you remember them out of order.

I wonder if you met a girl while you were trashed. Too bad you didn't get to talk more to the bartender.

Unless the pub was very busy and he didn't notice your absence, it seems like you'd have been gone way longer than the time it would take for a cigarette.

The scratches on your neck concern me. It sounds like you got into a scuffle on the way home. 

• Like 1

Is your phone password-protected? 

Do you turn off the Bluetooth connection when you’re not using it?

Does the pub’s specific WiFi name show on your phone?

It’s an interesting story, but I don’t have any answers. Hopefully a commenter here will give you another avenue to investigate.

Edited to add:

Did you have your phone in a pocket the entire time, or did you set it on the bar?

Is it possible you accidentally left your phone at the pub, and later returned for it after going to the market?

Edited by simplybill

On ‎31‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:11 PM, Scrunchkruckets said:

Could you have gone to the Christmas market and then back to the pub.? The bartender probably thought you went out for a cigarette..

Possibly, but the wifi connection still bothers me. And I remember spending all my money at the Christmas market... So how did I buy myself more drinks? Thanks for the suggestion anyway. 

On ‎31‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:18 PM, Scrunchkruckets said:

How was the cheese.

I remember having soft goat cheese.... traditional Christmas snack.. I even remember the taste. It would be weird to learn I never had them. 

On ‎31‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:23 PM, papageorge1 said:

Certainly an interesting story. A full paranormal explanation for this is beyond me, but I am more and more convinced we live in a universe with weird possibilities we don't understand. One paranormal possibility might be alternative timelines. Both scenarios happened but in different timelines. I have come to believe in alternate realities and also the Mandela Effect where people claim to have genuine memories of things that are not part of our collective mainstream reality.

Now, possible 'normal' explanations too. You got drunk and have no reliable memories after that? The bartender exaggerated your time of staying and the amount of money spent? You walked home in a stupor? The wifi timing on your phone stays connected to the previous location until you start a new connection? etc.

I lean to something paranormal (about 60%) from your apparent clear-headed sanity now, your bafflement against a normal explanation having been there, your inexplicable urges/influences while sober, your psychic and psychological history with the house, and the combination of odd events, etc,.

Thanks for the reply...

Worst thing is non knowing what I was dealing with.. I have drunk memories of the market, then my intentions to go home... after that there was nothing, and the weird thing that I was probably active doing things for at least 3 more hours and have no memories of them whatsoever. I am not really a spiritual guy, never dealt with any paranormal activity before, I have concerns because there are just too many things not adding up in a normal world. It seems I intentionally wanted to get myself wasted. Maybe it`s just my mind messing up things when wasted. Don`t know... 

On ‎31‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:58 PM, simplybill said:

Is your phone password-protected? 

Do you turn off the Bluetooth connection when you’re not using it?

Does the pub’s specific WiFi name show on your phone?

It’s an interesting story, but I don’t have any answers. Hopefully a commenter here will give you another avenue to investigate.

Edited to add:

Did you have your phone in a pocket the entire time, or did you set it on the bar?

Is it possible you accidentally left your phone at the pub, and later returned for it after going to the market?

Yes, it is password-protected, but I am not sure about Bluetooth. And the phone was connected to that specific wifi for the whole night.

1 hour ago, Dave123 said:

Yes, it is password-protected, but I am not sure about Bluetooth. And the phone was connected to that specific wifi for the whole night.

Just guessing, but maybe your hometown has a Municipal wireless network, and your phone then ‘recognized’ the network at your grandparents house after you arrived home.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Municipal_wireless_network

I don’t what to think about the two apps and the name change, unless during your blackout period someone messed with your phone as a prank. 

Regarding the scratches:  Perhaps you got into a scuffle while retrieving your phone?

Edited by simplybill

On ‎31‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:17 PM, ChaosRose said:

You probably shouldn't stay in your Dad's room. 

It may have messed with your subconscious and led to the sudden urge to get plastered. 

It's weird to have garbled memories like that, though. Instead of no memories like in a blackout, you have memories of things that didn't happen...or at least you remember them out of order.

I wonder if you met a girl while you were trashed. Too bad you didn't get to talk more to the bartender.

Unless the pub was very busy and he didn't notice your absence, it seems like you'd have been gone way longer than the time it would take for a cigarette.

The scratches on your neck concern me. It sounds like you got into a scuffle on the way home. 

Thanks for the reply.

I couldn`t have got into a fight if I somehow managed to travel 5 miles home within only 4 minutes. And the scratches seemed more like deep nail-marks, only problem is I have no nails because I bite them. Yes, there are strange memories I had and there is something disturbing in that room. I hope I didn`t go crazy, and it was just a blackout night out. 

29 minutes ago, simplybill said:

Also, I’m wondering if a Good Samaritan gave you a ride home. 

Hopefully that was the case.. I was in God`s hands for sure, I could have ended up in a much worse situation as temperature was freezing that night and I only had a thin jacket on.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2017 at 10:56 AM, Dave123 said:

Only problem, there is a 40 minutes walk to my grandparents` home from the city centre, which is expected to be even longer when someone is wasted. Going home with a taxi also seems impossible when the ride itself takes at least 12 minutes without counting any traffic. A sports car could probably do the distance within 7 minutes in race mode, but you get my point, 4 minutes is impossible.

It still sounds to me as though the city center and the Christmas market are WiFi-connected to a Municipal network. A Good Samaritan drove you to your Grandparents home. On the way there, your phone dropped the connection as it left the Municipal WiFi coverage area. 4 minutes later, your phone connected to your Grandparents WiFi network.

You said you ‘packed your swimsuit’. What did pack it into? Did your swimsuit make it home with you?

2 hours ago, Dave123 said:

Thanks for the reply...

Worst thing is non knowing what I was dealing with.. I have drunk memories of the market, then my intentions to go home... after that there was nothing, and the weird thing that I was probably active doing things for at least 3 more hours and have no memories of them whatsoever. I am not really a spiritual guy, never dealt with any paranormal activity before, I have concerns because there are just too many things not adding up in a normal world. It seems I intentionally wanted to get myself wasted. Maybe it`s just my mind messing up things when wasted. Don`t know... 

Ya, we may never know for sure. But the eerie things at the house, the uncharacteristic sudden desire for alcohol, etc. ?????

Regarding the drinking:

I’m thinking you have a genetic predisposition to alcoholism. I’m an alcoholic myself (stopped drinking May 5, 1985). I had many nights of drinking in bars until I blacked out, and then waking up the next morning in my own bed with no recollection of anything past 10:00 PM or so. If you’re like me, you don’t have the ‘cut-off switch’ that enables normal people to have one or two drinks after dinner and then stop drinking. I know I can never, ever drink again in my life, because it would instantly return me to an alcoholic lifestyle. 

If you suspect that you may have inherited that predisposition, then you should consider avoiding alcohol completely.

Edited by simplybill
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave123 said:

Thanks for the reply.

I couldn`t have got into a fight if I somehow managed to travel 5 miles home within only 4 minutes. And the scratches seemed more like deep nail-marks, only problem is I have no nails because I bite them. Yes, there are strange memories I had and there is something disturbing in that room. I hope I didn`t go crazy, and it was just a blackout night out. 

Isn't there a range of a certain amount for networks?

You may not have had to travel that quickly to get in range. 

It sounds to me like you met a woman and she drove you home. Maybe even bought some of those drinks for you.

Somehow, she ended up scratching your neck.

• Like 1

Or maybe she took you back to her place where you both sampled the soft cheese.

And then her cat jumped on you and scratched your neck. 

• Like 1

On 12/31/2017 at 10:56 AM, Dave123 said:

I dreamed it 3 years ago in London, and the nightmare was about keeping an evil "me" out of my Dad’s room while I was inside trying to keep the glass door shut.

I’m not a dream interpreter, but I suspect that this is an unconscious realization that you need to avoid following your Dad’s example. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, simplybill said:

Regarding the drinking:

I’m thinking you have a genetic predisposition to alcoholism. I’m an alcoholic myself (stopped drinking May 5, 1985). I had many nights of drinking in bars until I blacked out, and then waking up the next morning in my own bed with no recollection of anything past 10:00 PM or so. If you’re like me, you don’t have the ‘cut-off switch’ that enables normal people to have one or two drinks after dinner and then stop drinking. I know I can never, ever drink again in my life, because it would instantly return me to an alcoholic lifestyle. 

If you suspect that you may have inherited that predisposition, then you should consider avoiding alcohol completely.

Yes I think I have that problem... I`ve only been drunk a few times in my life, but all of them were nasty, and it seemed I couldn`t control myself. Worst thing I didn`t even wanna get tipsy and the desire to drinking came out of nowhere. I hate what my father did, the way he almost destroyed the family with his drinking lifestyle, I never thought I could be in a similar boat in terms of alcoholism. 

PS. Yes my swimsuit made it home with me in the bag I took with myself. 

• Like 1